Weapon diversity

Topics related to Second Age
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Weapon diversity

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I see two types of play style with weapons. Hally cycles and dexxers with fast weapons that stay on top of another player.
Now you aren't always in a corner though you need to stand still for your weapon timer.

How many people out there actually play with slower weapons that might have more damage that don't subscribe to the point and click stay on top of them or insta hit techniques but rather step strike, step wait for them to come up on you strike in a more realistic to medieval manner of fighting using other weapons?

Is it time to step out of the box yet?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Malaikat

Re: Weapon diversity

Post by Malaikat »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:I see two types of play style with weapons. Hally cycles and dexxers with fast weapons that stay on top of another player.
Now you aren't always in a corner though you need to stand still for your weapon timer.

How many people out there actually play with slower weapons that might have more damage that don't subscribe to the point and click stay on top of them or insta hit techniques but rather step strike, step wait for them to come up on you strike in a more realistic to medieval manner of fighting using other weapons?

Is it time to step out of the box yet?
See my response to this in trash, but I'll elaborate here by adding that you should certainly carry a diverse set of weapons on the field. I play a swords dexer, and I'll always carry a high-end hally/bardiche/axe in order to charge a swing while my opponent runs or perhaps to open the fight with a nice 60+ hit. As soon as we're settled in to tight quarters it's right back to the fast one-hander. The damage/second on a vanq kat or broadsword is more than sufficient, and you get the added bonuses of disrupting more spells and stealing your opponent's swing. It's far more crippling to a tank if you can stay up on them rather than step back and take a large swing with an axe.

It seems like the bulk of your advice disregards the 1 second item delay. This strategy would be much more appealing if you could quickly switch between a slow two-hander and a quicker weapon, but, as it stands, it's simply more valuable to swing faster and retain the ability to drink potions without waiting 2 seconds between each chug without a weapon in your hand.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

One thing I can say that if the way hallies on mages here worked the same as they did in 1999, there would be more diversity in weapon types for mages. You'd see more macers(war axe and qstaff) and mages using katanas at times in a fight.

Back in 1999 it wasn't possible to hally hit every 2 seconds using the hally cycle. There was perhaps a way to cycle, but no one could do it this fast. UOSA's cycle mechanic works in such a way due to RUNUO. This is why in 1999 you saw many good mages using war axe, qstaff and very rarely a spear.

Right now since the hally hits so ridiculously fast due to the cycle inaccuracy, there's no reason to use anything but the hally and bardiche for a pure tank mage(especially with 25 dex, 100 int).

If you use a waraxe or katana, even if its power... a GM hally will out damage you because it cycles nearly as fast as the war axe hits. This is obviously not right and completely imbalances since the hally does the most damage of all melee weapons, yet it is also just as fast as one handers.

If the hally cycling worked like this in 1998-1999 then quite simply people would have figured it out and exploited it to the fullest like here. The good pvpers back then weren't dumb, they figured out how to use the mechanics to a pretty full extent. Think about double hally hitting, fast casting, spell timing ect.

I would love to see war axe mages, but it aint gonna happen until we get the accurate mechanics for how weapon cycling works along with the wrestling/warmode mechanics. We may never really know how it works, but at least the mechanics are good enough to enjoy on a great server.

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

Halbu wrote:...Back in 1999 it wasn't possible to hally hit every 2 seconds using the hally cycle. There was perhaps a way to cycle, but no one could do it this fast. UOSA's cycle mechanic works in such a way due to RUNUO. This is why in 1999 you saw many good mages using war axe, qstaff and very rarely a spear...

...If the hally cycling worked like this in 1998-1999 then quite simply people would have figured it out and exploited it to the fullest like here...
Do you have any evidence at all for this claim?

I think the main reason you didn't see hally cycling on OSI was due to connection speeds in 1999. If lag causes you to miss out on half of your hally cycles, then it doesn't really have any benefit over just holding your weapon the whole time.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

:roll: I think you all missed the point entirely...

Let me just say all talk of combat is not reserved for tanks (glass cannons) only.

You have Hybrids, Medi Dexxers, Dexxers etc all with dex set at 45 or higher which allows for some weapons to swing faster then the hally with object delay. Using a katana against someone with higher dex then you also wielding a katana would be rather stupid in a toe to toe fight for example...you'd hit and run or bait and lure, and if you are going to do that you might as well use a tad slower weapon with more damage and make use of purples.

Nevermind I am going to leave that right here....just keep in mind no one just stands still in a fight, you wouldn't just stand for a bladespirit to tear you up.

:idea: you all need to change your light bulbs
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Malaikat wrote:
archaicsubrosa77 wrote: It seems like the bulk of your advice disregards the 1 second item delay. This strategy would be much more appealing if you could quickly switch between a slow two-hander and a quicker weapon, but, as it stands, it's simply more valuable to swing faster and retain the ability to drink potions without waiting 2 seconds between each chug without a weapon in your hand.
Why are you standing still? That is not how battle works here....it's hardly ever a one on one honor fight in a little box. You know you have a 15 second delay on bandages and 5 seconds on potions you want to re-enter the battle when you can just as quickly chug another pot if you get hit big so its no big deal having a three second changing of weapons on the move. So it takes 2-3 seconds to both cast a spell and change weapons...and your point is what? You should only harm hally spam? :lol:

You can't constantly cast e-bolt/explosion so stick with circles one to three and cycle your hally lol

Learn to Dance :wink: The tank is good for getting some basics down especially arming and disarming. You dont want to be the guy caught with his pants down when clashing. Playing a dexxer of any variety is no different. So you have a guy in plate and a Double Axe facing off against a guy in a dexxer suit and a kat....he will be slower but he will take less damage so he wants to set it up where the faster opponent will be playing on his field. And before anyone starts in on the plate is useless in pvp kick... you probably didn't take into consideration most of your fights will not be one vs one. If you are 2 vs 3 heavy armor is perfect so you can take some hits while you and your buddy concentrates on one guy at a time. Anyway I am done...its nap time

JBURNS
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by JBURNS »

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Malaikat wrote:
archaicsubrosa77 wrote: It seems like the bulk of your advice disregards the 1 second item delay. This strategy would be much more appealing if you could quickly switch between a slow two-hander and a quicker weapon, but, as it stands, it's simply more valuable to swing faster and retain the ability to drink potions without waiting 2 seconds between each chug without a weapon in your hand.
Why are you standing still? That is not how battle works here....it's hardly ever a one on one honor fight in a little box. You know you have a 15 second delay on bandages and 5 seconds on potions you want to re-enter the battle when you can just as quickly chug another pot if you get hit big so its no big deal having a three second changing of weapons on the move. So it takes 2-3 seconds to both cast a spell and change weapons...and your point is what? You should only harm hally spam? :lol:
My point is that a kryss,war fork, kat, or broadsword are all solid options for a dexer against an unarmored mage. There's no feasible reason to use a two-hander, save for sparsely and at very specific and strategic moments in a field fight. Against a dexer is no different - especially considering the majority will be poisoning you. You're going to want a free hand, and I prefer to toggle a shield on and off. Most dexers don't have parry in their template and that's going to give you a much greater edge than wearing full plate or fumbling with an axe while you rune the hell away.

Also, it's convenient that you feel you're the only person on the shard who knows how to use purple potions. All these free moments in a field fight wear you're unequipping your weapon, chugging heal pots, running away, and tossing purples...a worthy foe is going to be hitting you as well. If they're a mage they'll be hitting you with purples and fixing to dump a spell combo on you as well. So go on and fight with distance and a slow two-hander. I'll get in close and actually end the fight. Considering I'm best known for my ability to field with a dexer...
You can't constantly cast e-bolt/explosion so stick with circles one to three and cycle your hally lol
I've done some analysis, and this isn't English.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.