UO Client, Razor force game size settings and performance?

Topics related to Second Age

Which client and how is the performance?

Classic client, resolution better than 1024x768, w/artifacts
17%
Classic client, resolution better than 1024x768 no artifacts
67%
Enhanced client, resolution better than 1024x768 w/artifacts
No votes
Enhanced client, resolution better than 1024x768 no artifacts
No votes
Other
17%

Total votes: 6

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

UO Client, Razor force game size settings and performance?

Post by RaveGreen »

Hi all -

Let me start out by saying that I did some searching on this, both on these forums, the askuosa section of the site and just plain Google and really didn't have much luck with anything recent, so I'm thinking I already know the answer(s), but...

My primary monitor is I think 24" and 1920x1080 resolution. Is there anybody out there that is playing on similar that has found settings for game size and resolution that get rid of the artifacts and black/grey parts of the screen? I read stuff that makes me believe that there are people out there, ie: running a newer client (is this legal for uosa?) or different client (enhanced) that aren't having these issues.

I don't think I've seen the enhanced client, but I'd rather not use it if it significantly changes the looks of the game from this era. I'm really just looking for the best options for making the classic client as smooth as possible in resolutions better than 1024x768.

Are the artifacts and black/grey screen something everyone just deals with?

Thanks!

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

wrathofjo

Re: UO Client, Razor force game size settings and performanc

Post by wrathofjo »

Rave, are you using a wireless connection? I found my artifacts were the result of lag. When I moved from wireless to a wired connection I kept my 1024x768 resolution (forced by razor) and no longer have artifacts.

Also, I use a 24" 1900x1200 monitor and what I do is lower the resolution to 1280x800 whlie I play so the majority of my screen is covered by the payable game window. You just need to find a lower resolution that fits your aspect ratio and it won't stretch your image, just make it larger.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Hi Wrath -

No, not on wireless! :?

Interesting to know that you are changing the actual resolution settings of your computer and forcing a game size change in Razor.

I'm currently only forcing a game size change in Razor. I've tried 1200x900 and 1280x800 and few others so far.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

wrathofjo

Post by wrathofjo »

Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure 1366x768 fits the 16:9 aspect ratio of your monitor.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Looks like 1152x864 works pretty well for me.

I don't really want to have to mess with my desktop resolution.

Wish others would chime in on what they are doing/putting up with.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

I've got the game window set to 950x750 in razor, and use the excess black space for gump/button placement. I also have it set up so that the total window size allows for UOAM/Razor to fit directly under the UO window without covering up any of the game area. I also have a 1920x1080 monitor -- and instead of filling the entire screen, I just will always have 2 or 3 accts logged in doing various things. This setup gives me a little overlap so I can see all the windows at once, and swap to one as needed.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.

Nightchill

Post by Nightchill »

It all depends on your preferences, really. I know some people put up with the artifacts just so they have a larger view. Others keep it as small as possible. Some people try to find a performance 'break' point, but even that ends up being dependant on your own computer setup.

Just tweak with it till you're happy. I know I changed mine 100 times before I settled in.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Nightchill wrote:It all depends on your preferences, really. I know some people put up with the artifacts just so they have a larger view. Others keep it as small as possible. Some people try to find a performance 'break' point, but even that ends up being dependant on your own computer setup.

Just tweak with it till you're happy. I know I changed mine 100 times before I settled in.
Yeah, performance break-point is a good term I guess. Mine (as I said above) appears to be at 1152x864. With this resolution I don't get any artifacts on my viewable play area and only a small amount of black/grey in the corners. Also, I get quite a bit of extra space on the side for skills, spells, etc. that I don't have hot-keyed.

I was doing some more reading and it appears some people claim the server is what is limiting viewable play window space? But then, if someone is getting bigger/better resolutions with different clients I don't understand how it could solely be the server...

Anyways, I think I'm happy with what I've got for now.

Thanks to those of you who contributed -- I'd still like to hear what others are doing though :)

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]