Training Magery - to meditate or not to meditate?

Topics related to Second Age
obuw

Training Magery - to meditate or not to meditate?

Post by obuw »

Hey all,

I'm training magery on my warrior who won't have meditation in the final build. Right now it's bought up to 30ish, and I have 105 int with hat.

Right now what I'm using is essentially:
if mana >= 102
cast spell
else
if meditating
wait for mana >= 102
else
use meditation

So I'm casting a spell at full mana, then meditating and waiting for mana to regen.

My question is, in terms of magery training speed, since more meditation would give faster mana regeneration, would I be better off changing my macro to optimize for meditation gains instead? i.e. casting until my mana is at the meditation sweet spot, and meditating every 10 seconds even if already meditating.

On the other hand, successfully meditating most of the time with 105int+30medit gives better regen than, say, failing to meditate with 105int+70medit.

There is some pretty complex math involved in answering the question so I guess the best way would be if anyone tried both methods and noted the times to gm.

Discuss. :)

Lepidus

Re: Training Magery - to meditate or not to meditate?

Post by Lepidus »

Not sure where you are getting those numbers from. I recently did Magery on a character, and it's excruciatingly slow to try to do meditate at the same time. The best thing to do in my opinion is the liquor method to get Meditation up to 90+, which just takes about a day of macroing and ~500 gold. Then you can focus on Magery and greatly reduce your downtime.

Yxven

Post by Yxven »

I wouldn't waste a night macroing meditation.

I'd med every 10 seconds in whatever med range you're mostly successful at. I doubt this problem is worth optimizing. If you want to speed up resist gains, add more casters.

obuw

Post by obuw »

Lepidus wrote:Not sure where you are getting those numbers from. I recently did Magery on a character, and it's excruciatingly slow to try to do meditate at the same time. The best thing to do in my opinion is the liquor method to get Meditation up to 90+, which just takes about a day of macroing and ~500 gold. Then you can focus on Magery and greatly reduce your downtime.
Hm, didn't think the liquor method still worked. I'll keep that in mind. I read somewhere that 180 med+int was the maximum mana regen rate, so anything past 75 med would not even be necessary I think? Since I can't seem to find nightshade anywhere I may as well raise my meditation while waiting for the weekend to pass I guess.
Yxven wrote:I wouldn't waste a night macroing meditation.

I'd med every 10 seconds in whatever med range you're mostly successful at. I doubt this problem is worth optimizing. If you want to speed up resist gains, add more casters.
Yeah I was planning to gm resist later on by adding more casters. So far I've meditated after every cast and it's been going quite well. Finding reagents is the real problem.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

you're all doing it wrong. Yes get meditation Yes do it the same time the proper way. Drop med get whatever do resist also at the sametime.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall