The square of death.

Topics related to Second Age
Flea

The square of death.

Post by Flea »

Just my opinion from playing this shard about 5 1/2 years. Discuss.

Apocalypse

Re: The square of death.

Post by Apocalypse »

No automated events: Beaten to death. I started like a month before they were removed so I don't have the ability to "miss" them, as I never participated. Somehow, I've managed to still find "fun" here, despite the lack of automated events.

Invis/recall: Just as PK's practice and find ways to be more efficient killers, potential victims learn better methods of escape. Don't like it? Find a way to get better and beat it.

Banning of -3-: No opinion.

LOS killing: Never had an issue with it myself, and I think it's kinda stupid that we have it. However, just as with the invis/recall thing, find a way around it. Use restock agents, hide when possible, find a flat area and put up a small. It's really not that hard to minimize or even eliminate the problem.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Apocalypse wrote:No automated events: Beaten to death. I started like a month before they were removed so I don't have the ability to "miss" them, as I never participated. Somehow, I've managed to still find "fun" here, despite the lack of automated events.

Invis/recall: Just as PK's practice and find ways to be more efficient killers, potential victims learn better methods of escape. Don't like it? Find a way to get better and beat it.

Banning of -3-: No opinion.

LOS killing: Never had an issue with it myself, and I think it's kinda stupid that we have it. However, just as with the invis/recall thing, find a way around it. Use restock agents, hide when possible, find a flat area and put up a small. It's really not that hard to minimize or even eliminate the problem.
That's cool. Im not going to argue with anything you said. This post was simply to point out the things that I, as player observed about the population drop and why everyone I know doesn't play here anymore.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

If all the time and energy people put into asking for those un-original (yet fun) auto events back was re-directed toward ideas on how to create a similar set of games within the parameters staff has to work with, I imagine we might have a way cooler unique CTF by now.

I have a few ideas in my head about how this could be done and even improve the game from the old CTF's, I do however lack information on exactly what staff is and isn't allowed to do with RunUO when it comes to GM's created things.

A quick idea: There is a massive open area in the middle of Shame mountain that is completely flat and easy to build on, this would be an awesome spot for a custom GM run CTF to exist. Do the standard ghost entry, spawn in each base weapons/armour/regs for all combat types that instantly re-spawn when picked up, use iron ore as a flag. Whoever has the most ore in their base "flag chest" at the end of 20 mins wins the game.

I think Boom is on the right track for the event's he's creating, he is making something unique here. Ask yourself this, would you rather have automated scripted events that exist across many other servers, or would you rather have a custom creation tailored for UOSA?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Rose wrote:If all the time and energy people put into asking for those un-original (yet fun) auto events back was re-directed toward ideas on how to create a similar set of games within the parameters staff has to work with, I imagine we might have a way cooler unique CTF by now.

I have a few ideas in my head about how this could be done and even improve the game from the old CTF's, I do however lack information on exactly what staff is and isn't allowed to do with RunUO when it comes to GM's created things.

A quick idea: There is a massive open area in the middle of Shame mountain that is completely flat and easy to build on, this would be an awesome spot for a custom GM run CTF to exist. Do the standard ghost entry, spawn in each base weapons/armour/regs for all combat types that instantly re-spawn when picked up, use iron ore as a flag. Whoever has the most ore in their base "flag chest" at the end of 20 mins wins the game.

I think Boom is on the right track for the event's he's creating, he is making something unique here. Ask yourself this, would you rather have automated scripted events that exist across many other servers, or would you rather have a custom creation tailored for UOSA?
This is not an events thread. Those can be discussed in the "bring them back" thread. My main thought is that people don't want to play a single player MMO. And without players MMOs fail. 90% of the events leaving isn't the events themselves, it was the community gathering. We used to actually have an international playerbase. Because they could see at 11am (2am in middle of the US) They could log on and have some fun, chat with people, do some business etc. That was where random up and comers made a name for themselves or made alliances or enemies.

Vega/Delo

Post by Vega/Delo »

Started after auto events so I could care less (have played them before and wouldn't mind but understand the fact that stat reds got reborn. Also that mechanics don't jive).

-3- not sure what they did to get banned (money doesn't mean much nowadays), I was on hiatus when all the shit went down. However if it is anywhere near the response to the Derrick remark, they have no place here. It's his and nuff said. Did love the actual pk runs they did. No one like it anymore. TG Comedians were something no one experiences anymore also. They brought pvp. Sandro was beast mode btw.

LoS would have made my main home useless. Left for a bit when -3- got banned and LoS was implemented, and my L placed on a peninsula fell. That would have been bombed to shit with all the enemies I made. Not to mention is the reason I can't sit afk in anything but a patio. Can't show off in a castle or keep that is the prize and glory of the game right?

Item use was prolly what made Sandro so beast. Just all their shit idoced and tricks were spread to the community. Pie kills plenty. Yea pking in dungeons can be utterly useless with the quick escape, but even I don't use the macro.

Delo

Narcissic

Post by Narcissic »

Rose wrote:If all the time and energy people put into asking for those un-original (yet fun) auto events back was re-directed toward ideas on how to create a similar set of games within the parameters staff has to work with, I imagine we might have a way cooler unique CTF by now.

^^^^^^^^
This
Derrick wrote: It is not our policy to comment on account actions which are taken against players.

An exception should be made in order to counter dishonesty.
Cavewights accounts were banned for accepting in-game goods for the promise of money.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

I'm enjoying the classy artwork.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Rectangle of pessimism.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Box o reality?
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

You failed to mention the most important aspect of the UO timeline that affected UOSA the greatest (my opinion, but the facts line up well).

UOR launched
UOF launched
UOAC/IPY3 launched (and relaunched)

3 major shards, all with decent population draws and play styles that did not match UOSA. Before this time (without going back before 2010), the only good shard to play UO was UOSA. If you hated T2A but wanted to play UO, you played here still. When new shards from new eras came up, you were finally given quality options that met your needs.

UOR people could finally play a non-donation based UORish server.

People with a wallet who want to pay to win can do that now on UOF. There are tons of people who would rather give up a few hours worth of pay from their salary than spend weeks macroing or farming.

People who want a total custom UO experience can play on UOAC.

Pair everything I just said up with the overall loss of interest in UO (see Google trends, https://www.google.com/trends/) and you've got your answer pretty much nailed down.

Did the things you mention reduce our player count? Absolutely, but if anyone quit because we banned cheaters (-3-), we're better off without them.

Automated events? I am not too convinced it really impacted the day to day player counts.

The LOS issue/bug is a real concern, I had a conversation about it with Kaivan today. This type of bug explotation would result in jail and bannings on OSI but on this shard we call it a "feature" and that bugs me as much as it bugs the players here.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:You failed to mention the most important aspect of the UO timeline that affected UOSA the greatest (my opinion, but the facts line up well).

UOR launched
UOF launched
UOAC/IPY3 launched (and relaunched)

3 major shards, all with decent population draws and play styles that did not match UOSA. Before this time (without going back before 2010), the only good shard to play UO was UOSA. If you hated T2A but wanted to play UO, you played here still. When new shards from new eras came up, you were finally given quality options that met your needs.

UOR people could finally play a decent non-donation based UORish server.

People with a wallet who want to pay to win can do that now on UOF. There are tons of people who would rather give up a few hours worth of pay from their salary than spend weeks macroing or farming.

People who want a total custom UO experience can play on UOAC.

Pair everything I just said up with the overall loss of interest in UO (see Google trends, https://www.google.com/trends/) and you've got your answer pretty much nailed down.

Did the things you mention reduce our player count? Absolutely, but if anyone quit because we banned cheaters (-3-), we're better off without them.

Automated events? I am not too convinced it really impacted the day to day player counts.

The LOS issue/bug is a real concern, I had a conversation about it with Kaivan today. This type of bug explotation would result in jail and bannings on OSI but on this shard we call it a "feature" and that bugs me as much as it bugs the players here.
I don't disagree with anything you've said, however the reasoning of banning of cr3w (and many other bans over the years) could have been handled by jail time and not been things that would have continued. It's not any sympathy towards them, it's the fact of banning that many people who are active in the community taking out group PvPers had a affect on alot of things.

Want me to be constructive? The same thing i've said for 3 years. Set up a weekend chalked full of fun activities for all different play styles of FUN FUN FUN things to do. (I understand staff are busy and have RL lives) Then send a email to every registered email to every account ever registered on UOSA (50k+ emails?) Saying HEY COME LOG ON AND PLAY UO THIS WEEKEND, SEE OLD FRIENDS, HAVE FUN so on and so on. That's my idea, been saying it for years, it hasn't been done.

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

I've lived in an L shape then moved to a patio for my entire time playing here. Never have I ever been LOS house killed. I really don't understand the issue.
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Yeah rose, I actually got this otw.

A series of games with original concepts :)

I have some original s**t going down real soon and its been very fun designing.

sooooo yeah.

I do, however, believe players would like more chances to accumulate silver.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

The square of Flea.

Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.