Revisit Trophys vs. Economy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Revisit Trophys vs. Economy

Post by BlackFoot »

I brought this up 8 or 9 months ago, just gona pop it back up and get input now that things have changed since then.

When is it time to change the way trophy system works so as to not have such a massive impact on the economy. I mean that in terms of it having a significant effect on the feel of the t2aness for newer players.

Reducing the amount of events was good for the feel of server I think, it reduced the amount of interuptions to normal game play most people seem on board with that change. But it also doubled the cost of trophys so people are making a lotta money by farmin trophys. That has a real effect on the world.

Input?
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Brodie

Re: Revisit Trophys vs. Economy

Post by Brodie »

I feel you. I would personally like to see no scripted events, just let the staff throw one once in a while to not only help the economy, but also make these events feel special.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

The inflation that's occurred is a natural result of an increased player base and the passing of time. Getting rid of trophies will not meaningfully slow the rate of inflation, and it would only harm new players, since they are the only people that have a positive E.V. from attending an event.

Only a new player cannot farm 3k in 20-30 minutes, which is in effect the E.V. of attending an event (50% chance at 6k).

Given the fact that nobody on this shard was helpful to me when I started, I can tell you that being able to sell my trophies was extremely helpful for me to start off, and being able to create my first character without an extreme hassle was a crucial factor in my decision to continue playing here. I don't doubt that others share similar stories, and we cannot forget that this is a ten year old game. If you make it really tedious to begin, you are going to stem in influx of players. If you don't keep the game fresh and fun (which I believe the events do), you're going to decrease the number of active players.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

how about a change in the way the trophys are rewarded? through normal game play instead fo these events?

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

I really don't see a need to change it to be honest. I just don't see any compelling rationale for changing a system that seems to be working fine.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Trophies are rewards for a percentage of the shard population who PvP's or Interacts (CTF, 1v1, 2v2 duals etc) {with the VERY Unoccational Monsterbash style event) , Personally I have only been to 1 event and I was pestered for awile to attend even that since they have little to no appeal for me, Scedualed events are so Discusting and Trammy if you ask me, I am a supporter of the Lizard men raids and such where the events have a flavor of UO, but these CTFs and PvP tournaments are like side games to the reality of UO and you benifit from playing them... that being said it would be the same if you gave out Trophie points for a UO chess match etc...
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Wise wrote:Trophies are rewards for a percentage of the shard population who PvP's or Interacts (CTF, 1v1, 2v2 duals etc) {with the VERY Unoccational Monsterbash style event) , Personally I have only been to 1 event and I was pestered for awile to attend even that since they have little to no appeal for me, Scedualed events are so Discusting and Trammy if you ask me, I am a supporter of the Lizard men raids and such where the events have a flavor of UO, but these CTFs and PvP tournaments are like side games to the reality of UO and you benifit from playing them... that being said it would be the same if you gave out Trophie points for a UO chess match etc...
100% Completely agree.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

as of now monster bash events give 5 pt trophys, and they get farmed pretty good and have a pretty massive exchange of cash because of it

how about switch the trophys from pvp events, to monsters in the world.
Have one week of trophys dropping randomly on mosnters in deceit. Im sure wed see some 'real' uo goin on to win trophys instead of people loggin on just for events. Then next week put them in shame etc.

?

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

BlackFoot wrote:how about a change in the way the trophys are rewarded? through normal game play instead fo these events?
I agree with the whole no scripted events. Especially ones which take place in a secluded area from the main world. If there were to be an 'scripted' events I'd prefer them to be in the actual world map and make use of areas which don't get a lot of traffic.

For instance, once every week Lord British hold a dueling tournament and a red moongate appears in the courtyard to take everyone too the Jhelom duel pits.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

That's an interesting idea, putting trophies on monsters spawning in a particular dungeon, and I'm not opposed to it.

I just still fail to see the rationale against the current system. The only forceful one is that it's not accurate, but I promise you that if you remove events, there will be fewer players in game very quickly. The game is old and people have played it for a long time. Events, however, remain quite fun to even experienced players. Also, as for the fact that seemingly pvpers only win trophies, PvMers can easily just buy the trophies from PvPers with their pvm fortunes (What else are you going to buy with your millions?), and pvpers can sell the trophies to pvmers so they don't have to farm. It seems like a marriage ordained by the Fates. (Not that one need be a pvper by any stretch to participate and help in an event).

Faust

Post by Faust »

I still have the blueprints for an automated wide scale PVM event that takes place in each related dungeon every weekend that Derrick has been interested in since it was brought up several months ago. The whole philosophy is based around the Ultima lore from the very first Ultima up until Ultima Online. It is somewhat similar to the ideology behind the Champ Spawns, but much more realistic and sticks to the lore of the series. For example, some of the bosses are very common villains from the previous games. This massive event broken down into mini events would be very good for the server. The event brings a multitude of different levels of gameplay into the picture. PVMer's and even some PVPer's will join in the event. This will lure PK's into the action, which in return lures PVPer's into the scope. All in all it would bring everyone together in a common place or a hotspot each weekend for all levels of gameplay.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

I like that idea, just as they have the event system set up now have it set the same way for dungions yea once or twice a week have an annoucement made saying that the Monster population at _______ Dungion (which would be chosen at random) has gotten out of control and that Lord British is requesting all brave souls to help keep monster populations in check by spay and neutering or simply exterminating all the monsters!

Increase the Spawn timer and creature spawn in that dungion for an hour and give all the creatures a 1% chance of droping a 1point trophy or such things :) That would definately be great events!
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

that is another issue, why do pvmers who are very oviously disadvantaged in all but 1 event should have to pay pvpers for trophys instead of being able to win them on their own. I am also not saying eliminate events. I play events i like them but i duno if they deserve the fairly substantial reward you get for them. I like the idea of taking the trophys and put them out in the real world to create real uo interaction and remove the trophy rewards of the very non t2a feel sideshow games.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

Wise wrote:I like that idea, just as they have the event system set up now have it set the same way for dungions yea once or twice a week have an annoucement made saying that the Monster population at _______ Dungion (which would be chosen at random) has gotten out of control and that Lord British is requesting all brave souls to help keep monster populations in check by spay and neutering or simply exterminating all the monsters!

Increase the Spawn timer and creature spawn in that dungion for an hour and give all the creatures a 1% chance of droping a 1point trophy or such things :) That would definately be great events!
aye, but also for longer periods of time with very low drop rate, would give lots of time for everyone to take part no matter their time zone and create hot spots throughout the world for pvmers

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

The events are one of the best part of this server for me. They are very fun and many many many people participate. if we ever eliminated trophies, over half those people would no longer play.

trophies are fine.
[broken image]