Fixed: Herding does not work as intended (Easy Fix)

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Fixed: Herding does not work as intended (Easy Fix)

Post by MatronDeWinter »

REPORTED ISSUE: You are supposed to be able to herd any "untamed, tamable" creature. This is not the case, and would be very simple to fix!

ISSUE DETAILS: I tried to herd a drake, and it did not work.
Here is a quote from the patch notes in on 12/16/97.
"Herding is now difficulty based. You will only improve from tackling increasingly tougher animals to herd. The scale of difficulty is similar to that for animal taming."
I know you could herd dragons/drakes ect..

ENVIRONMENT DETAILS: Anywhere tamable creatures are found, specifically, higher level animals that are not easily tamed.

STEPS TO RECREATE: Get a crook and go herd a drake.

EXPECTED RESULTS: Can herd any tamable, untamed creature as intended.

DATE REPORTED: Saturday, May 2, 2009.

DATE STATUS CHANGED: 05/19/2009

/Please please please fix this! :P :P :P :P

Derrick

Re: Herding does not work as intended (Easy Fix)

Post by Derrick »

This question hinges on the term animal. Dragons/Drakes are not considered animals, but monsters, and as such will also show up in that category on the tracking menu. This can be looked into further.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Herding does not work as intended (Easy Fix)

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Derrick wrote:This question hinges on the term animal. Dragons/Drakes are not considered animals, but monsters, and as such will also show up in that category on the tracking menu. This can be looked into further.
It directly states, "any untamed, tamable creature", not animal, and I am certain that dragons were herdable, not that that really has any benefit other than drawing them close to you before you get eaten.

Derrick

Re: Fixing: Herding does not work as intended (Easy Fix)

Post by Derrick »

Sorry to take so long to get back to this.
I did verify that in the demo, Dragons are herdable (and for a sanity check, that trolls are not). I'll do my best to get this in the next publish.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Clark_Kent
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Clark_Kent »

Good news indeed.
Chief Editor of The Daily Planet
chumbucket and Associates (cA)

Senses

Post by Senses »

Hrm, I remember in the very beginning, dragons and drakes were herdable and one thing we would do, is run down with nothing but a crook and a few bladespirit scrolls then herd them to stand still while the blade spirits did the killing. Pretty much any newbie toon could do this with a little investment and make pretty good loot. At some point, and I don't really remember how or why, they changed this so that the Drakes and Dragons wouldn't just stand there and take the blade spirits. For the life of me I can't remember what the change was, but I know it was in effect by the time T2A hit. Perhaps someone else remembers more?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Senses wrote:Hrm, I remember in the very beginning, dragons and drakes were herdable and one thing we would do, is run down with nothing but a crook and a few bladespirit scrolls then herd them to stand still while the blade spirits did the killing. Pretty much any newbie toon could do this with a little investment and make pretty good loot. At some point, and I don't really remember how or why, they changed this so that the Drakes and Dragons wouldn't just stand there and take the blade spirits. For the life of me I can't remember what the change was, but I know it was in effect by the time T2A hit. Perhaps someone else remembers more?
You cant herd animals while they are in battle.

Wappness
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Fixed: Herding does not work as intended (Easy Fix)

Post by Wappness »

The problem i see with this is the following example. Say I have a pack mule and I am miinig and gm herder comes up and cast a gate and herds my mule thru the gate so he can kill it and steall the items. Really ought to look hard at this becuase I really feel it is another way for thievs to take more than 10 stones ..no offense I have a thief too but still thnk most players want some protection from the thieves. I chop wood and get 3k boards on a packie and what do I do when someone herds them thru a gate. Just my 2 cents worth.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Wappness wrote:The problem i see with this is the following example. Say I have a pack mule and I am miinig and gm herder comes up and cast a gate and herds my mule thru the gate so he can kill it and steall the items. Really ought to look hard at this becuase I really feel it is another way for thievs to take more than 10 stones ..no offense I have a thief too but still thnk most players want some protection from the thieves. I chop wood and get 3k boards on a packie and what do I do when someone herds them thru a gate. Just my 2 cents worth.
Wrong,
You cannot herd Tamed animals I promise you.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Tamed pets of any kind are not suppose to be going through the gates by themselves when walking over it. This function should only trigger when the pet owner goes through a gate while the creature(s) are on follow mode being in line of sight to the owner.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

imo, thats the risk you run while using a pack horse. Regardless, you cannot herd tamed animals :o

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:Tamed pets of any kind are not suppose to be going through the gates by themselves when walking over it. This function should only trigger when the pet owner goes through a gate while the creature(s) are on follow mode being in line of sight to the owner.
When was gating of creatures removed, and did the ability to gate creatures not apply to tamed animals?

Faust

Post by Faust »

I can't access the patch notes at the moment but gating creatures was removed around mid to late '98.

The only creature that would go into gates were tamed creatures that were in follow mode when the owner himself went into the gate. This was a prime tactic for tamer pvper's during the era when they would end up dying before their pet. What they would do is return throwing up a gate spam *all follow me* and immediately go into it with them following. I even recall this happening when the pet was far away from the owner but still in line of sight. I know that this is possible here too, but I don't ever remember pets actually going to the other side before their owner by physically walking through it.

I think there was even a patch note with the fix for tamed pets sometime after that patch that disallowed npcs to go through gates. I honestly can't remember if it was part of the patch that removed creatures going through gates or after that patch for certain though. I am pretty positive that controlled npc's did not physically go into a gate until their owner did.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think that happened prior to UO:R. I know this type of action came in 3 stages. At first you could gate pets/npcs/monsters/whatever, and then NPC's were removed from the list for obvious reasons. Then Monsters were removed from having this ability (but they still walked over teleporters iirc), and finally everything was taken off the auto-gate list as faust mentioned.