magic monsters

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
DMC

magic monsters

Post by DMC »

should be able to dispel more easily and cast it more often.

i remember having to drain the mana on PEs, BEs, and LLs before you could even think about EVing them.

Faust

Re: magic monsters

Post by Faust »

I don't agree with the current dispel rates either... The mobs here dispel way too frequently compared to the way they did during this era.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Auto dispel was not introduced until the advanced AI changes with UOR. Beforehand, they would eventually become aware of a summoned creature and attempt to dispel it, however they did not always succeed due to their magery skill, and would not instantly perform the dispel.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

NPC's would only dispel when the target was next to them. I'm not talking about the UOR auto dispel... I know that function quite well from re-coding it.

- Magery -
Blood Elementals:
1d15+85

Poison Elementals:
1d15+80

Lich Lords:
1d10+90

This is high enough magery for all three of these mobs to pretty much dispel on a consistant rate...

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Right. That's pretty much what I was pointing out. A GM casted EV didn't always get dispelled when you attempted to dispel it even at GM skill. Couple that with the fact that while the AI during T2A allowed them to attempt to dispel, they would have to wait out the delay for casting spells and they wouldn't continually attempt to dispel it all the time until they succeeded. Essentially I'm just trying to point out that dispel capable monsters didn't instant dispel.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

aye, the insta dispel thing was definitely a product of the UOR era. In the default code the mobs would dispel clear across the screen if they were attacked by a dispellable creature. The way RunUO handles dispels are a bit iffy in my opinion. It starts out with a random value to even decide to dispel the creature. Once that condition is passed it will choose the dispel spell out of it's pool of listed spells. I don't think the animation of a failed dispel even shows up in this instance for mobs. I would have to verify that some time to be sure though...

DMC

Post by DMC »

i didn't play during UOR, and yeah they only dispelled when things were attacking them on an adjacent tile, but they did do it quite frequently... unless they were low on mana.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I always had the idea that monsters were just casting random shit out of their spellbook (pre UO:R), and sometimes it happened to be dispel. Dragons and deamons were a pretty easy kill in Wind with only 70-something magery just by casting a few bladespirits. Casting that shit in the LL room was dumb though, since it was constantly occupied by other players.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Faust wrote:aye, the insta dispel thing was definitely a product of the UOR era. In the default code the mobs would dispel clear across the screen if they were attacked by a dispellable creature. The way RunUO handles dispels are a bit iffy in my opinion. It starts out with a random value to even decide to dispel the creature. Once that condition is passed it will choose the dispel spell out of it's pool of listed spells. I don't think the animation of a failed dispel even shows up in this instance for mobs. I would have to verify that some time to be sure though...
You do see the animation of EVs resisting dispels currently.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I know they do for player dispels, but wasn't for sure about npc dispels.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i remember having to drain mana from all mobs but the LL cause of the ledge room trick or theyd dispel
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

DMC

Post by DMC »

made it to shame for the first time today, and was able to see how much more frequently PEs dispel EVs than dragons do. seems dead-on accurate to me.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Dragons have low magery when they spawn thus making them unable to dispel very well.