[Era Accuracy] Bank Checks

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Creager

[Era Accuracy] Bank Checks

Post by Creager »

These were not apart of the era, although I’m not motioning that they be removed. Rather, I would like to see these items not blessed, thus steal-able.

Discuss...
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Derrick

Re: [Era Accuracy] Bank Checks

Post by Derrick »

Bank checks were introduced Feb 23 2000, close to UO:R, but in era and have always been blessed.

They came in with the House and Animal Trade windows, which are both also very close to UO:R ad have been discussed in other threads for abolishment as well.

I am not opposed to doing away with all three of these features as a group, but I wouldn't be interested in having unblessed checks, which is not accurate to any era of UO.

If it's decided to remove these three features, it would also be a good time to correct bankboxes, which are supposed to have standard container weight limit, but exempt the weight of the gold within, that was accurate throughout T2A I believe.

These four items are "on the list" and have been for some time.

Faust

Post by Faust »

It would not bother me one bit to see the removal of bank checks. I'm pretty much opposed to anything after the last patch in '99. Bank checks along with a few other things create an inconsistency with many of the accurate features here.

On a side note... The bank changes involving weight limits can actually be considered accurate here. Our time frame limit typically goes up until the last patch in '99. The remove of bank weight limits was patched in November '99 here below.
Bank Boxes Nov 23 1999 2:10PM CST wrote: Bank Boxes have had their weight limits removed and containers within the bank box will not have a weight limit either. The bank box retains the 125 total item limit and that includes any items in containers within the bank.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:The bank changes involving weight limits can actually be considered accurate here. Our time frame limit typically goes up until the last patch in '99. The remove of bank weight limits was patched in November '99 here below.
Ahh, Thanks. I didn't remeber seeing that one.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Yes, all 3 should go! :o

Zim

Post by Zim »

<3 checks -_- before checks I just held on to all my rares because it was such a bitch to sell them :P Hated having to ICQ a tradespot broker.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

In order to allow for an environment where bank checks don't exist, some pretty significant changes to the way that trades and the interpretation of weight will need to be made, but I do agree that bank checks in themselves are something that do need to be removed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Is there a listing of the specific rules pre-patch? I remember taking hours to empty my vendor before bank checks, and house trading ect.. but it's all hazy was so long ago.

Altay

Post by Altay »

Having bank checks makes things more convenient without hurting anyone. If banks checks were removed, does ANYONE benefit? Nope. It ONLY hurts EVERYONE. It makes larger transactions nearly impossible. Buying / Sell homes nearly impossible.

My two cents: This is a T2A Shard, which means that if Bank checks were available for ANY part of the era, it should be free game, determined by our friendly admin of course. I made a thread earlier about cutting bandages 1 at a time. I was joking when I said 'Lets change it back!', because these kinds of changes only make things 'less fun' and 'annoying' for EVERYONE.
Shameless self promotion below:
MMOHut - Free MMORPG / MMO Game Reviews!

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Cutting Bandages rocks! and people most certainly benefit from the carrying of large amounts of gold.

Altay

Post by Altay »

Wait, What? Even if there were no bank checks, due to weight restrictions, people can't really carry that much gold anyway. How much would they carry? 15k? Maybe. But why would they run around with 15k gold? They can't buy a house with it, so no reason to take out 15k and run around with it. Removing bank checks won't make people run around with as much gold as they can carry, because there's no reason to.

If you can convince me that, someone, or some 'build' would benefit from removing bank checks, then I would support it.

effyou

Post by effyou »

Altay wrote:Having bank checks makes things more convenient without hurting anyone. If banks checks were removed, does ANYONE benefit? Nope. It ONLY hurts EVERYONE.
Yes checks are convenient, but they are not era accurate and certainly not necessary for a thriving economy.
Altay wrote:It makes larger transactions nearly impossible. Buying / Sell homes nearly impossible.
Wrong. I x-shard traded as a TS broker for over 2 years and facilitated countless transactions big and small. When I say countless, I made nearly 6 figures off of Ebay gold and housing sales derived from percentage/flat fees for my services (SP gold was a money maker for me). Trusted individuals will no doubt offer this service here should secure house trading and bank checks be removed.

If you don't understand how this would work... For example, say you wanted to sell your Keep for x amount of gold. You found a buyer and now it's time to complete the sale. If you knew and trusted the buyer you'd simply transfer first/get the gold first and finish up afterward. However, if you didn't know the person, and wanted to avoid a potential scam, you'd find a trusted third party to be the middleman. Essentially you would trade your house to the third party, the buyer would give the third party the gold, and then the third party would transfer the house to the buyer and the gold to the you minus a fee (if any).
Altay wrote:My two cents: This is a T2A Shard, which means that if Bank checks were available for ANY part of the era, it should be free game, determined by our friendly admin of course. I made a thread earlier about cutting bandages 1 at a time. I was joking when I said 'Lets change it back!', because these kinds of changes only make things 'less fun' and 'annoying' for EVERYONE.
You're entitled to your opinion just as you're also entitled to where you want to play UO. However, if you don't like that UOSA will continue to evolve to fit in with the 'era accurate' mantra, there are plenty of other shards that would take you.

I understand where you're coming from. I for one like bank checks and secure house trades, but I also like that the staff here is committed to making their shard 'era accurate'. So I accept any inconvenient changes that may occur because I know that I will adapt and that I had no issues when said game mechanices didn't exist back in the day.
[23:07:28] <Telamon> I'll send you my easyuo script for house placing. What's your email?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Without checks, parties involved in trade would provide opportunities to, at the very least, steal gold. It should also be of note, that vendors did not (I believe this is era-accurate) deposit gold into your bank in the form of a check. Thus, vendor owners moving their gold from the vendor to the bank are also viable targets. (And they should be).

There are MANY more reasons I can think of, but I play a thief, so perhaps I am a bit one sided.

Besides, it's much nicer to see piles of gold than it is to see a single check.

Altay

Post by Altay »

Why on EARTH would you want players to have to jump through all of these stupid hoops just to do a transaction. As it stands, blessed checks ARE era accurate. So there is no discussion here.

Derrick, Since the Blessed Checks ARE 'IN ERA", There is no point in arguing / discussing this. There is only way way to settle this, and a rather simple way at that. Hold an official poll. Let the community decide. Perhaps an in game vote when players login. I'm sure a lot of the non forum goers would want to have their voice heard as well.

Fair enough?

Creager

Post by Creager »

As already mentioned and implied, large transactions are going to require more preparation and possibly even third party involvement. This concept actually helps build-onto the t2a ideals of risk and reward vs. freedom and interaction.

No longer would a simple, blessed check simply be passed from one character to another, but a lump sum of gold must be placed on the ground or traded in small amounts making these types of transactions cumbersome and liable for theft. Possibly, this style of trading would become less attractive to most buyers and sellers.

With such a change, player-run vendors could become more practical, promoting a market where buyers and sellers could reap the benefits of a more stable or even 'perfectly competitive' environment.

EDIT: An After Thought...

With a change as such, professions such as resource gathering could become inherently financially more risky. Especially when considering the possible disincentive for selling large orders of resources. In turn, this may actually help discourage the practice for some, and create a more stable market for others by forcing sellers to open up vendors, which the vendors themselves charge a fee based on weight and/or amount.
Jono | Carnous | Micro