Backgammon Tournament! Minimum 25k First Prize!

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.
Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Backgammon Tournament! Minimum 25k First Prize!

Post by Safir »

The Humble Village of Awesome is hosting a Backgammon Tournament held at The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome to celebrate The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome's Grand Opening! Everyone is welcome!

Minumum First Prize of 25k!

To enter this tournament there is a 1000 gold entry fee. The entry fee ticket is to be purchased at The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome from the NPC Vendor named Thurston. To sign up for the Backgammon tournament, please reply to this thread on your own forum account, with your in-game name, ticket code, and preferred time for a match (all times must be entered in EST). Only one sign up per person. Only players registered on the forums before the publication of this thread will be eligible to participate in the tournament this time. Sign up will be available from the publication of this thread and until server down on Wednesday the 3rd of June (2009-06-03, 7 AM EST).

A sign up should look similar to this:
In-game Name: Awesomenimity
Ticket Code: XXXXXXXXXX
Preferred time of the day for matches: 3-6 PM EST
Click on image below to see a larger view of where Thurston can be found!

This is how the Entry Fee Ticket Codes are stocked at Thurston:

First Prize
The first prize will be at least 25k. But also 50% of all entry fees above 25k! So with 45 entries to the tournament, that would be 35k!

Second Prize
The second prize will be 50% of all entry fees above 25k! So with 45 entries to the tournament, that would be 10k!

Backgammon Tournament Rules:
  • The Backgammon Tournament will be held with match play. Competitors will be paired off after the sign up deadline, and each pair will play a series of games to decide which player progresses to the next round of the tournament. These series of games are called a match.
  • Matches will be played to 5 points. The first player to accumulate the required points wins the match. Points are awarded in the usual manner: one for a single game, two for a gammon, and three for a backgammon.
  • There is no bonus for winning more than the required number of points in match play. The sole goal is to win the match, and the size of the victory doesn't matter.
  • All matches will be held at The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome's match room (see image below) at a designated time coordinated with the help of the times noted in the player sign ups. Match time coordination will attempt to cater to players favored times to the furthest extent possible. All match times and results will be published in this thread. If a player fails to show up for a match, that match will be forfeited. If both players fail to show for a match they will both be disqualified.
  • All matches will be supervised and judged by The Humble Village of Awesome's own Backgammon Judge, Safir. If the need for another Judge would arise, other Judges may be chosen by The Humble Village of Awesome and will be announced here.
  • A limited number of spectators is allowed, but I will also try to record RPVs of all matches and post them here for participants to evaluate their future opponents and for others to learn about the game and the different tactics used.
  • Any foul play and/or misbehavior, name calling, profanities and otherwise bad conduct can result in players being disqualified from the tournament. The designated Backgammon Judges decision is final and can not be appealed. All rules in this thread are subject to change at any time without previous notification.

Backgammon Match Room:
All matches in the tournament will be held in this Match Room.

Read up on the general Rules of Backgammon here!

Check out the sponsor of this event, The Humble Village of Awesome!

Read more about The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome here!

If you are having troubles finding your way to The Humble Village of Awesome, Please visit either the Vesper in Library, or the Library of Justice, who both house runes to The Humble Village of Awesome (abbreviated HVoA) in their library. If you want to get there on your own, The Humble Village of Awesome as well as The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome is located just South East of Wrong.

Get ready to play and learn backgammon in preparation for the Backgammon Tournament matches!

You can also play backgammon in your web browser against a computer opponent. Either to practice, or for fun. Try Motif Backgammon here!
(requires Java)

Have fun!

Thanks to DarkRadiance for donating 15k to the Backgammon Tournament Prizes!

// Safir
Last edited by Safir on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Backgammon Tournament! Minimum 25k First Prize!

Post by Safir »

With the lack of sign ups so far, I thought I should clarify this. The Backgammon Tournament will not be held in one long session, but instead scheduled matched between opponents at convenient times. The entire Tournament might take over a week to complete depending on the number of contestants.

Also, who wouldn't want to risk losing 1k for some fun and the chance to win 25k?

That's right! FIRST PRIZE is 25k!

So sign up now! You have less than 72 hours left!

Clark_Kent
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Clark_Kent »

That's quite a colorful post.

I'll signup later this evening when I login, haven't played backgammon since I lived in Cairo, though.
Chief Editor of The Daily Planet
chumbucket and Associates (cA)

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Clark_Kent wrote:I'll signup later this evening when I login, haven't played backgammon since I lived in Cairo, though.
Sweet! I myself was personally trained by a Persian Backgammon Veteran. ;)

If you need to refresh your game, you can always play Motif Backgammon, or better yet, get a friend over to The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome and play away, or catch me on IRC for a private session. ;)

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i played backgammon along time ago heheh
depending on what my fam is doin for dinner i will be there

count me in ;D
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

BlackFoot wrote:i played backgammon along time ago heheh
depending on what my fam is doin for dinner i will be there

count me in ;D
Well, match times have not been set yet, and will be done so later based on player requests. So you are, if you sign up for the tournament, asked to submit a timeframe for matches that would suit you. ;)

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

yea put hat dinner thign as ajoke hehe cause i get that 10000 times for answers form people about my events :D haha

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

BlackFoot wrote:yea put hat dinner thign as ajoke hehe cause i get that 10000 times for answers form people about my events :D haha
Oh, lol! ;) Well, the Dungeon Crawl end times are fairly close to mi dinnah time, so yeh, I've prolly used that one too. ;) haha!

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

No offense to the good people on this server, but wow, guys FAIL!

I can understand that many can't play Backgammon and have no desire to learn, and thus, don't sign up for the Backgammon Tournament. But what I don't understand is that when it's explicitly stated in the first post that all sign ups should be posted in this thread, no one catches on and signs up as the only person in the tournament and thus gets the total reward of 25k. Even though this Backgammon Tournament was a total fail, the people who didn't try to sign up at the last second to grab the free 25k fail even more.

I'll try to throw more popular events to promote The Humble Gambling Shack and Tavern of Awesome I suppose.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

sorry i didnt sign up as per format :o
but i will still be there when you hold it :P

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Ah, but seeing as there are no entries, there won't be a Backgammon Tournament... ;)

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

eventually backgammon enthusiasts will show themselves :D
they live in fear and hiding

Return to “Player Run Events”