Thieving

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Populus

Thieving

Post by Populus »

Am I wrong or aren't you allowed to steal from containers in towns?

I'm just trying to train stealing but I can't steal from containers in towns, steal from the ground.
I guess you have to steal from a pack horse to gain stealing. But I just vaguely recall you were able to steal from containers in town. And steal from the ground.

Correct me, (:
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Derrick

Re: Thieving

Post by Derrick »

Populus wrote:Am I wrong or aren't you allowed to steal from containers in towns?

I'm just trying to train stealing but I can't steal from containers in towns, steal from the ground.
I guess you have to steal from a pack horse to gain stealing. But I just vaguely recall you were able to steal from containers in town. And steal from the ground.

Correct me, (:
You should be able to steal from containers in town. There are limitations on stealing weight, and there is currently a bug in some of the new containers we've placed, in that they are spawning items too heavy to be stolen.

However, not all containers in town need to be stolen from. If the item is free to take, it cannot be stolen.

Populus

Post by Populus »

Derrick wrote:
Populus wrote:Am I wrong or aren't you allowed to steal from containers in towns?

Correct me, (:
You should be able to steal from containers in town. There are limitations on stealing weight, and there is currently a bug in some of the new containers we've placed, in that they are spawning items too heavy to be stolen.

However, not all containers in town need to be stolen from. If the item is free to take, it cannot be stolen.

I tried to put a bag in a container. It said "You cannot put that there, it is not your container" Or something like that.

Should I try some other container?
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Populus wrote:You should be able to steal from containers in town. There are limitations on stealing weight, and there is currently a bug in some of the new containers we've placed, in that they are spawning items too heavy to be stolen.

I tried to put a bag in a container. It said "You cannot put that there, it is not your container" Or something like that.

Should I try some other container?[/quote]

This is something I noticed that bothered me... Whenever I would buy things from a in-town-vendor, sometimes I would become overweight. What I did in this situation is put some of my stuff in a bookshelf(where no one would probably look in the time span it took me to go drop off my stuff) to go bank what was currently in my inventory. I have found that you can't use any furniture in town vendor buildings (that I have tried that is). Instead now I have to use circle of trans and place them on the ground in a "sort of" hidden spot. Kind of annoying. I thought you could steal from the ground back in the day as well.

billpete002

Post by billpete002 »

I am not sure if this is the same thing as I am thinking about, but during T2A (early) chests within town still spawned items (non-magical) - that were building oriented (like a guard house would have armor/weapons).

The chests relocked when the timer was reset, so you had to lockpick the chest then steal the items from it.

The best chests were gold 'safety' boxes which usually had gold (I can't remember the amounts but compared to most hyperinflated ways of farming gold the chests normally had maximum 200gp (probably 100 or less was average).

I even remember the day they took them out I was in Serpent's Hold and after I picked and looted all the chests nothing respawned, so I went to Trinsic and nothing had respawned there either, so I called a GM and he knew nothing about it.

So it was during the transition from old UO/T2A and late T2A/next expansion.

I haven't had time to run around in the shard yet, but I was wondering if this system does exist? and if not could it be implemented?

On a scale of brokeness I wouldn't even consider it so, as the loot was not "amazing", the risk of getting caught was high, but it was fun and made sense that these are the NPC possessions you were stealing.

(on a side note I remember the Britain bank and the back room to Trinsic bank being locked and always wanting to break in and steal the gold, but the door IIRC was not pickable - guess they didn't want someone running off with crap tons of cash!)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We're currently working on getting the town boxes straightened out and accurate. I'm not sure how the behavior of storing things in town chests worked, I know it was possible, but item count could get out of hand I fear.

billpete002

Post by billpete002 »

you could make a "compromise" and lessen items in chests OR just chests outside cities or only in select buildings - instead of every chest.

just some thoughts.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Derrick wrote:We're currently working on getting the town boxes straightened out and accurate. I'm not sure how the behavior of storing things in town chests worked, I know it was possible, but item count could get out of hand I fear.
Derrick, things one could place in NPC containers but it acted like placing them on the ground as far as item decay.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kraarug wrote:
Derrick wrote:We're currently working on getting the town boxes straightened out and accurate. I'm not sure how the behavior of storing things in town chests worked, I know it was possible, but item count could get out of hand I fear.
Derrick, things one could place in NPC containers but it acted like placing them on the ground as far as item decay.
This was my suspicion too, and would eliminate the concern I have. Thanks.