Boat Planks Open While Moving

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
PwNoGrApHy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Boat Planks Open While Moving

Post by PwNoGrApHy »

I quite frankly remember being in a pirate guild and back then everyone used boats, exspecially miners but my pirate crew and I would be sailing and we would be allowd to step out on the blank while moving next to a boat to either get closer to the boat to kill the enemy or even try to take stuff off there ship if the items weren't centered. Does anyone else recall this I think they changed it after T2A were ships cant move when the planks open.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Boat Planks Open While Moving

Post by Duke Jones »

Yeah. I'm not sure what era this happened to me in but there was a time where I was fishing and walked onto the plank to fish while the boat was moving.

I didn't notice that there was a small island on the edge of my screen...

I popped onto the shore of the island as my boat sailed away.

I was like,
(0_O)
"I'm a cast away!!!!"

As a social experiment, I waited on the island to see how long it would take another player on a boat to find me. I even made carpentry box "hut" using the trees and my axe & tools I had on me. I even spelled "SOS" in campfires on the shore. Of course, I had plenty of fish steaks to eat. A few afternoons later, someone did find me and picked me up and sailed me to Brit. It was the best day ever.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

classic .. and i think alot of that is what shard and uo itself lacks these days .. the novelty ... who now a days in their right mind would have sat on that island ... board and do things to help himself off that island like a hut .. camp fire words .. and as his comment summed up he had fun ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

But to answer the Topic Question, I did find it strange that I'm unable to access the plank while the boat is moving in this shard. This is a small detail that might need to be researched and addressed.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This functionality was a hold over from earlier in the shard's history when several exploits that were inherent to boats were still possible. Many of them involved the plank of the boat and were achieved by moving in to place. I'll speak with Derrick, or he'll run across this thread and we'll get this addressed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

PwNoGrApHy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by PwNoGrApHy »

Thank you!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Fixing this for next publish. Thanks guys
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Because "Ar, put the plank up matey!" is within the era speech phrases region, directly adjacent to "Ar, the anchor is down sir!", it's going to be assumed for now that the message is accurate, and you will not be able to get underway with the plank down, but will be able to open it while moving.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

PwNoGrApHy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by PwNoGrApHy »

Derrick wrote:Because "Ar, put the plank up matey!" is within the era speech phrases region, directly adjacent to "Ar, the anchor is down sir!", it's going to be assumed for now that the message is accurate, and you will not be able to get underway with the plank down, but will be able to open it while moving.

So the plank will have to be closed to give the direction of where the boat should moved to but after you give that direction you can open the plank while it's moving. Is that what you are saying or am I just confused. Sorry didnt understand it all

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

PwNoGrApHy wrote:So the plank will have to be closed to give the direction of where the boat should moved to but after you give that direction you can open the plank while it's moving. Is that what you are saying or am I just confused. Sorry didnt understand it all
Aye. you'll have to begin moving with the plank up.
If anyone can find more concrete information on the mechanics we can still change it, but this is likely a step towards accuracy on this issue. We know that the message given did exist during era.

PwNoGrApHy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by PwNoGrApHy »

Derrick wrote:
PwNoGrApHy wrote:So the plank will have to be closed to give the direction of where the boat should moved to but after you give that direction you can open the plank while it's moving. Is that what you are saying or am I just confused. Sorry didnt understand it all
Aye. you'll have to begin moving with the plank up.
If anyone can find more concrete information on the mechanics we can still change it, but this is likely a step towards accuracy on this issue. We know that the message given did exist during era.

Aye i know it did exist but I am almost postive it was changed in t2a.... My father irl... rp a pirate with clan and he quit when UoR came out and the he was always able to open planks to loot other people boats... Not that thats proof but just stating what i remember.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Derrick wrote:Because "Ar, put the plank up matey!" is within the era speech phrases region, directly adjacent to "Ar, the anchor is down sir!", it's going to be assumed for now that the message is accurate, and you will not be able to get underway with the plank down, but will be able to open it while moving.

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?title=Ultima_Online_Patch_Notes_for_12/09/1997 wrote: Ultima Online Patch Notes for 12/09/1997

Ships and houses

* Ships are now movable with the plank extended.
* You can no longer use gate travel to break into houses.
* Ship planks are now locked upon creation.
* The gate travel breakin exploit is fixed.
* The recall breakin exploit is fixed.
* Masterless pets and hirelings no longer wander onto ships.
Not finding what I want in these notes, but here's ya one for the planks, looks like Dec 1997 it was changed and that's why the NPC text existed.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

poogoblin wrote: Not finding what I want in these notes, but here's ya one for the planks, looks like Dec 1997 it was changed and that's why the NPC text existed.
Thanks much. Boats will be modified to allow gettin' underway with the plank extended in the next publish.