Stealth Gains

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Stealth Gains

Post by Hoots »

I was one of those people who had gm'd stealth 2-3 days after it was added. (think this was along the lines of it being easier to gain skills that people wernt using).

Ill look around to try and find documentation but im pretty sure you had to walk around while stealthing to gain...Or to gain more.

When building stealth chars here i was surprised to see that all the macros did not have movement in them (just hide then stealth, repeat)

Im not saying skill gain for the initial use of stealth didnt happen, but i think every step you took was a skill check with potential skill gain. Again, from my memory, to raise the skill you actually had to walk around stealthed... You could probably GM stealth without ever taking a step (like you can here) but my guess was it would be muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch longer.

Ill see what i can find on documentation but figured i would start the discussion to see what people remember.

Is there any chance for gain while taking stealth steps currently here? I dont think i have noticed if that is the case.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Stealth Gains

Post by Ronk »

Hmm, I don't think so. I GMed stealth recently on another character using the 'stand in one place' macro.

Also of note, ive never gained stealth by taking a step...in addition, once you successfully stealth you can move your given number of steps with zero fail chance.

For example, my stealth macro actually disarms my ring mail tunic, stealths, then puts the tunic back on. This allows me to stealth in ring mail with zero chance of failure. So I maintain my orcish look while being able to stealth.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Fingers Malone

Post by Fingers Malone »

No, you don't need to walk around stealthed to gain stealth. You do need to have a chance to fail to gain which is why you need to wear increasing amounts of armor as you go up. (It's also why you can't train hiding in your house but that's another story.) The wiki has good info on training stealth.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Fingers Malone wrote:No, you don't need to walk around stealthed to gain stealth. You do need to have a chance to fail to gain which is why you need to wear increasing amounts of armor as you go up. (It's also why you can't train hiding in your house but that's another story.) The wiki has good info on training stealth.
Thanks fingers, my question is.."is this how it was on osi"

i remember having to move around for skill gains (or at least gaining more skill by moving around)... thats why im asking.

After getting stealth to 80'ish i noticed i wasnt gaining while moving... so i went to the forums here and saw all these macros with just hide/stealth and no movement.... This jumped out at me as a big red flag.

So either this was not the case on OSI or i simply am not remembering it correctly... Im almost positive that you did gain while moving around though...

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

The 'anti macro' code on the osi servers could have been different than here, causing gains to be slower, but to my recollection you never needed to move to GM stealth, you simply needed to wear increasing amounts of armour as all ready stated.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Could you be remembering the 8x8 period?
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Fingers Malone

Post by Fingers Malone »

Hoots wrote:
Fingers Malone wrote:No, you don't need to walk around stealthed to gain stealth. You do need to have a chance to fail to gain which is why you need to wear increasing amounts of armor as you go up. (It's also why you can't train hiding in your house but that's another story.) The wiki has good info on training stealth.
Thanks fingers, my question is.."is this how it was on osi"

i remember having to move around for skill gains (or at least gaining more skill by moving around)... thats why im asking.

After getting stealth to 80'ish i noticed i wasnt gaining while moving... so i went to the forums here and saw all these macros with just hide/stealth and no movement.... This jumped out at me as a big red flag.

So either this was not the case on OSI or i simply am not remembering it correctly... Im almost positive that you did gain while moving around though...
Ahhhh. Good point. I don't recall ever having to move to gain stealth, which doesn't really mean anything I suppose.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Also, fyi... you don't need to increase armor constantly as you gain skill. I used a newbie robe (AR 2) up until 83 or so, then I put on AR 13 (ringmail chest maybe?) and GMed it with that.

Caranthir

Post by Caranthir »

Used AR increases by level and went pretty quickly to GM.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Ronk wrote:Could you be remembering the 8x8 period?

Hmm, i dont think so? My first gm stealther was right after they added the skill. It was amazing being able to loot before people were prepared for (or even knew about) stealthers. In the first week of the skill i think i figured i pulled 200k out of houses on ice island alone. :D

Considering i quit/restarted many times after t2a it could be possible that i raised a stealther in UOR and that could be fogging my memory... but the only skill i used 8x8 for was magery.

Im finding zero reference to moving for skill gains so unless i can dig something up (or someone else can remember/confirm what im saying), ill chalk it off as bad memory!

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

Edit: Nevermind.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Hoots wrote:
Ronk wrote:Could you be remembering the 8x8 period?

Hmm, i dont think so? My first gm stealther was right after they added the skill. It was amazing being able to loot before people were prepared for (or even knew about) stealthers. In the first week of the skill i think i figured i pulled 200k out of houses on ice island alone. :D

Considering i quit/restarted many times after t2a it could be possible that i raised a stealther in UOR and that could be fogging my memory... but the only skill i used 8x8 for was magery.

Im finding zero reference to moving for skill gains so unless i can dig something up (or someone else can remember/confirm what im saying), ill chalk it off as bad memory!
Stealth was one of the last skills I GMed before quitting 2 weeks before tram. I do remember you were required to move for skill checks, simply using the skill did not gain skill. I remember how much "fun" it was to try and GM this in my small house, due to needing to step.

Unfortunately hoots it looks like you and I are the minority in this memory so something in writing will probalby have to be found.