Server down time should be changed.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
valheru

Server down time should be changed.

Post by valheru »

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but here's another shot!

I play on other servers, in addition to this one. One of the servers has a downtime at 11:00 PM EST. In my opinion, this downtime is MUCH better than the 7:00AM (not sure exactly what time, but it's around there) downtime that this server has.

The late night downtime allows:

1) Better server wars. More people can participate during the "non save time". I really dont care about this myself, but i'm sure many others do!

2) Macros. Most people are not able to log in at server up around 7 am to restart their macros. Not only does this give an unfair advantage to the few people that can do so, but it is extremely annoying to those who cannot. The majority of players would be able to log back in after a 10-11pm downtime, and start their macros. Those macros would then run until they got home from work/school later in the day.

3) Sort of a spinoff to point number 2. SHARD NUMBERS. If the majority of players can log back in after shard downtime, (10-11PM), the shard number of people logged in throughout the day will be MUCH higher than they are now. Having a larger amount of logged in people will attract more players to the shard. It's a win-win situation for EVERYONE.

4) T2A accuracy....If you claim the shard should restart around 7AM EST because of "accuracy", then you need to spend your time on more beneficial arguments. The OSI servers also crashed a LOT, and went down a LOT. Should we also program in random crashes/lag? I don't think so. Server downtime isn't a game mechanic.

5) A few people may argue that 7am EST is prime for them, and that they don't have a problem with it. I'm pretty sure those people are in the minority, and are mostly the overseas players or 3rd shift workers.

6) "but that downtime is during my prime playing time!" It is for me too, but guess what, having played on a server that has an 11PM downtime, it's for the better. It allows everyone to take a short break, pvp if they want to, and encourages them to join IRC and communicate with each other, thus bringing the community together. Ever notice how the only time people talk with each other in large conversations is when the shard crashes during prime time? It's a good thing.

In short, a 10-11PM downtime will increase player PVP, allow more people to macro longer, increase the amount of people logged in and thus increase the attractiveness of the server.

Thoughts? Thanks for reading!

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Server down time should be changed.

Post by Mirage »

I like this idea, 7 am doesn't work out for me and a lot of my guildmates also now that I think of it. Obviously other people may not want 11PM exactly but maybe another time would be suitable for everyone.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

7am may not be perfect, but 11pm is terrible..

PwNoGrApHy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by PwNoGrApHy »

I belive it should be 7pm instead of 7am. That way for most people there getting out of work, there having dinner with the family or whatever. They can join in on the server wars fun and set there macros up as well if needed... But i agree 7am is an awful time for server down.. I wouldnt even mind 11pm but I was just thinking 7pm is a good average time for everyone. 11pm May be to late for some because they go to sleep for work the next day etc... they'll be struggling to stay up and set there macro's up again....

7pm Aye thats a good average time :mrgreen:

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

11pm would be terrible for this shard.

7am is convenient for derrick, who churns out a patch every few days.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Here is another recent topic and poll on the restart time:
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 09&p=76374

I think your points are well made, but there's a could on the other side of this too.

One of the reasons we do downtime at the time we do is that I'm usually available and sober if there are problems with the shard at that time of the day on restart. And any shard issues can be resolved while effecting a minimum number of players.

The alternative would be potentially bug fixing on peak hours. I know that we've had a few days in the last month where problems have cropped up during peak hours, but it's very unusual for this to happen.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

You people need to stop whining about when the server goes down. You don't have any sort of god given right to be able to log back in and continue your macroing without interruption at a time that is convenient for you. I know your world stops when you cant macro some UO game character but seriously, it's THAT important to you?
A few people may argue that 7am EST is prime for them, and that they don't have a problem with it. I'm pretty sure those people are in the minority, and are mostly the overseas players or 3rd shift workers.
So 7AM is not convenient for you, but regardless of whether or not it is for those overseas players or 3rd shift workers, you just say fuck those other players because you are more important and deserve to have the server working to your benefit?

Puhhhhleeezzzeee.

Hey I have the solution, instead of server down time once a day, schedule it for EVERY HOUR. That way no matter what time is convenient for you you'll only have to wait 50 minutes until the next restart!

Octur

Post by Octur »

Dagon wrote:You people need to stop whining about when the server goes down. You don't have any sort of god given right to be able to log back in and continue your macroing without interruption at a time that is convenient for you. I know your world stops when you cant macro some UO game character but seriously, it's THAT important to you?
A few people may argue that 7am EST is prime for them, and that they don't have a problem with it. I'm pretty sure those people are in the minority, and are mostly the overseas players or 3rd shift workers.
So 7AM is not convenient for you, but regardless of whether or not it is for those overseas players or 3rd shift workers, you just say fuck those other players because you are more important and deserve to have the server working to your benefit?

Puhhhhleeezzzeee.

Hey I have the solution, instead of server down time once a day, schedule it for EVERY HOUR. That way no matter what time is convenient for you you'll only have to wait 50 minutes until the next restart!
QQ Waaaahhhhhhhh i cant have my way!!!
Dude for real now you sound like a little bitch

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Well all the OSI servers went down at different times. So there is no accuracy concern.

as Derrick said its about when he can actually do it (and be sober enough to not idoc everyone's houses...)

The OP does make some very good points in his post. Especially 1,2 & 6.

PwNoGrApHy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by PwNoGrApHy »

Dagon wrote:You people need to stop whining about when the server goes down. You don't have any sort of god given right to be able to log back in and continue your macroing without interruption at a time that is convenient for you. I know your world stops when you cant macro some UO game character but seriously, it's THAT important to you?

Puhhhhleeezzzeee.

Woahhh buddy take some Zoloft or Paxil, and chill the F*** Out.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Octur wrote: QQ Waaaahhhhhhhh i cant have my way!!!
lol. way to go for your first post. very constructive.

I'm not the one sitting here whining like a bitch because I can't log back in after the restart.

valheru

Post by valheru »

Dagon wrote:
Octur wrote: QQ Waaaahhhhhhhh i cant have my way!!!
lol. way to go for your first post. very constructive.

I'm not the one sitting here whining like a bitch because I can't log back in after the restart.
Can this idiot, Dagon, be banned from the suggestion forums? I hope so.

I wasn't "whining like a bitch" in my original post, the main point of it wasn't because "I" couldn't log back in (which i can most of the time.)

The point of a different server down time is that it will benefit the shard as a WHOLE, it will benefit THE MAJORITY of people that play. Not just me, not just "some other guy", but MOST people. You sound upset that a different time may inconvenience you, too bad.

the point of the suggestion forum is to make suggestions which benefit the shard, not an individual. I believe that an evening downtime, 7-8PM as suggested by someone else, would benefit the shard as a whole.

Your definition of "whining" would apply to EVERY POST in this forum where people ask for a change. Asking/suggesting a change isn't whining. Get out of this forum, and please do not use profanity for these posts are indexed by google and should be family friendly. Cussing and acting like an idiot also makes you look like a moron and it destroys any validity that your post MIGHT have (although it already had none).

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

I certainly don't want my game play interrupted by the shard restarting. I think it is much better during off-peak hours. What if there is a problem restarting the shard? Sometimes it doesn't return for 10-15+ minutes. Without an overwhelming consensus of the current player population, I don't think the restart time should be changed.

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

People want server downtime to be moved so it would be more convenient for them?

Do we forget all the hard work Derrick has put into this server?
Let us leave things how they are, convenient for Derrick.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Eulogy wrote:People want server downtime to be moved so it would be more convenient for them?

Do we forget all the hard work Derrick has put into this server?
Let us leave things how they are, convenient for Derrick.
I couldn't agree more. we are playing a very enjoyable MMO free of charge. Let's not be spoiled.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."