Topics related to Second Age
Fryguy|M|

Tents

Post by Fryguy|M| »

What's the story on tents? (deed)

Edie Brickell

Re: Tents

Post by Edie Brickell »

Tent deeds were eliminated well before T2A. A big part of it ws the fact that land was disappearing quickkly and Tents were too easy to score (cheap). SOmething else the was funny, OSI underestimated the ingenuity of players and Tents were generally used to create courtyards for castles, keeps and towers effectively makign them nearly impossible to loot because they would bouild a wall around the door ith three tents (or small homes). You had to have a rune to get into the courtyard. Great home security. Another instance of OSI failing to considere the ingenuity of players was people placing small houses on top of towers (classic) or on top of public buildings in the wilberness like the three guard towers south of the dessert North of Cove. Sorry...the answer to your questions is tents aren't era accurate.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Fryguy|M| wrote:What's the story on tents? (deed)
From the patch notes:
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... atch_Notes
OSI wrote:Housing Update Phase 2--Claim Process Begins Dec 8 1998 10:08AM
HOUSING
All tents will be deleted when the server boots.
The new house menu will be in place. Double-clicking the sign will bring up a new interface window.
T2A opened in October of 1998. And there were tents until the new housing system went into place, but because the tents were not compatible with the new securer housing system, all tents were removed.

I've considered putting in tents, but it would not be compatible with any sort of housing menu or anything. It would have to use the old system of he who holds the key owns the tent.

Feedback is welcome on this, but I think it would be a stretch to add them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Edie Brickell wrote:Tent deeds were eliminated well before T2A.
To clarify my post, and validate everything in this one. Tent deeds were probably not available in T2A, but the tents that were placed did persist until the housing patch

bOmb

Post by bOmb »

Edie Brickell wrote: Another instance of OSI failing to considere the ingenuity of players was people placing small houses on top of towers (classic) or on top of public buildings in the wilberness like the three guard towers south of the dessert North of Cove.
Hah! I remember the small houses ontop of towers!! Damn good memory you got there sir! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I think tents would be a cool idea, only if they went with old style like Derrick said where key determines ownership.

ironfistmax

Post by ironfistmax »

God tents were awesome. Ahh the good old days.

brandonsantacruz

Post by brandonsantacruz »

I was never a fan of tents and here's why:
-don't offer much storage space
-take up land that could be a house
-were used to block access to areas, like castle doors (less of a problem with the new building rules)
-too cheap. People will place two tents in a clearing to prevent ppl from building anything there, then just remove the tents and place their tower/castle

T2A was basically the end of these tents. The higher our population, the more of a problem having tents would become, so please leave them out.

qtip

Post by qtip »

Lol, there it is
Attachments
houses.jpg

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

because houses have to be one tile away from anyhtign wouldnt have to worry about people blocking off their doors,
i like tents, they are really helpfull to new players
could have them as temporary tents, with an auto decay or somthign so people dont hoard land with them. 2 weeks and they drop regardless of refreshign or somthing, would help new peoples i think
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

keuse

Post by keuse »

if new players need good, reliable storage they should get a boat
a lot more secure and will lead to less agrivation when a key gets stolen and they now lost their tent.

plus the fact of people placing a million tents then saving up money for a castle (which most of the time is an objective that does not carry through) is a all too common thing in uo.

so i vote no for tents, redirect people to boats.

getan

Post by getan »

keuse wrote:if new players need good, reliable storage they should get a boat
a lot more secure and will lead to less agrivation when a key gets stolen and they now lost their tent.

plus the fact of people placing a million tents then saving up money for a castle (which most of the time is an objective that does not carry through) is a all too common thing in uo.

so i vote no for tents, redirect people to boats.
I agree. Also what do tents provide that banks dont already? Not like you can macro in the safety of a tent.

I would think it would also be a good camping spot for looters, and griefers.

Sauron

Post by Sauron »

I remember tents in t2a. :? they were a miners best friend

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

BUMP because bums need tents and I want to be a wandering gypsy kthx
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Talk about IDOC control potential!
I love tents, but unfortunately their primary use would be grief.
I would support the addition for a guild that warranted such with the appropriate RP. Of course, to be stripped if ever evidenced to be utilized for griefing/undue advantage in-game.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Brules

Post by Brules »

chainsoar wrote:BUMP because bums need tents and I want to be a wandering gypsy kthx
You guys definately need a tent city!