The unbalancing (and repetitive) effect of Free Use.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: The unbalancing (and repetitive) effect of Free Use.

Post by Biohazard »

yea i get it... your post count is high.

Chance

Post by Chance »

Hemperor wrote:I propose to remove free use from every single event.

Not only are the same 15 people dueling on test shard everyday all day, but then they log on to SecondAge for some more unlimited free fun.

When majority of the action a lot of players (and newbs) see is events, why give free use? This never happened on OSI, if PlayerA can't afford the amount of resources he wants, he should be limited and how well he performs should reflect that.

After all, he is contending for an 18k~ trophy point.

This would completely fix tournaments in my opinion, although there is already a topic about that, so I won't go in depth...Mini heal spam is just as useful (lame) in every other event.

The consumption of resources (and the loss of durability on items) is a necessary gold sink in UO, it should exist in events as well. Timmy who just started here 20 minutes ago shouldn't have the same chance at getting an 18k trophy point as Faust because he showed up with a single greater heal pot.

My opinion, yours?
I've had a problem w/ free use events since my arrival on UOSA. I'm with you on the points you stated, but I don't know what the real solution is to restock times and other issues that removing free use would cause.
~ Xigig ~ Mojoka ~ Shadowclan Orcs ~

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm going to be testing allowing players to access their bankbox during the what will now be 17 seconds prior to the start of the match. I believe this is a good method of allowing players to restock for non-free use tournaments, and doesn't drag the start on much more than before.

The bankbox will open one second after the wall goes up before the start of a match.

I considered a restock time outside of the arena, but increasing the "limbo" time that a person was waiting to fight raised some other issues.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

What is really wrong with the idea of bringing all of your own materials, and when you die, the winner gets to loot you to resupply?

Why is everyone afraid of losing reagents? Is there a shortage?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The majority of all tournaments dating back to 10+ years in this game has always had the common conensus among players that there would be no looting.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

How did the 4pm non-free use tourney go? With the bank opening. Does this work for everyone?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Is it possible to make supplies run out during the fight but return them to their original levels after each fight? Honestly I don't think tournys are an effective gold sink anyways and limiting resources in this way would be as effective as non-free use tournys.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Is it possible to make supplies run out during the fight but return them to their original levels after each fight? Honestly I don't think tournys are an effective gold sink anyways and limiting resources in this way would be as effective as non-free use tournys.
I think that's what many were going for the tourneys and what I thought was going to happen, although unrelated to this topic.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Derrick wrote:How did the 4pm non-free use tourney go? With the bank opening. Does this work for everyone?
It went fine. I managed to go 4 battles in and not even use 390 stones worth of shit. The bank opens right when the wall drops, and I did not need it.

Players, ive noticed, during non free use seem to spam alot less (pots, mini heal etc).
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Faust

Post by Faust »

son wrote: Players, ive noticed, during non free use seem to spam alot less (pots, mini heal etc).
Who called this one? :shock:

Sum_Mors

Post by Sum_Mors »

Faust wrote:The majority of all tournaments dating back to 10+ years in this game has always had the common conensus among players that there would be no looting.
Not at all saying that you'd have to implement looting. But the point still stands why people whine about 1-1.5k gold worth of reagents. This is not a lot of money. At all. Don't care if you argue it until you die.

The worst (of all the horrible things!) is that you'd have to bankroll your own potions, which are also inexpensive. We're all allowed 15 characters (i know that doesn't mean everybody uses that) and all of the "serious" pvp'ers will have their means of acquiring potions and supplies.

A lost aspect to tournaments in these free shards seems to be the part where you're expected to be prepared for what you're entering. Not having everything handed to you.

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Is it possible to make supplies run out during the fight but return them to their original levels after each fight? Honestly I don't think tournys are an effective gold sink anyways and limiting resources in this way would be as effective as non-free use tournys.

Why would you want this? It's still draining enough resources to force players to buy more reagants, pots, and bandages. If everything was replenished at the end of the round, then what's the point of removing free use at all?

Tournaments aren't meant to be a crazy gold sink, but as it is, there are so few gold sinks that ANY additional ones created will only help circulate money further. This is one of the few viable sources of consistent resource usage that we have (if non-free becomes the standard for tournament setups anyway), nurturing it will only help the economy.