events/death

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
venox

events/death

Post by venox »

ive been thinking maybe increase the time out gump upon death for multiplayer events.
other wise it can just be a constant flow of death and rez with no great penality.
exspecially with the urban map. longer time outs could be effective, and would require players to be more carful of health. plus team work would mean more...

Derrick

Re: events/death

Post by Derrick »

We used to have it 30 secs and it was moved back to 20 by request a long time ago. The floor is open for opinions on this.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

I think 20 seconds is a fair enough time- having a man down can be a rather large disadvantage even for a shorter time than 20 seconds.

Although I do have some suggestions for Tournament events:

1) Allow ressurection in team duels.

- This would put an emphasis onto the winning team to ensure that they do not allow their opponent the opportunity to get 61 mana to res and heal, and for dexers it would require them to stand still for a long period of time to ressurect their teammate. I think it would also allow for some rather exciting comebacks from the brink of defeat.

- In terms of negative results to this change I can't think of anything too dire, other than people who can't handle 2 vs 1 becoming annoyed. I don't see this as a problem, actually.

2) Create more dueling pits, with less quasi-static tiles, less/no viewing room and have them spread further across the shard.

- The lag caused by people talking, running around, mounting and dismounting animals combined with the large custom area creates lag. While it is not unbearable, it is problematic. I think having a semi-closed door dueling system whereby there are only the participants in a small area is preferable in terms of countering the lag produced by the factors mentioned above.

venox

Post by venox »

thats why you should be more carful with your health and not die.
these are pvp events and there is little consequence upon your death.
plus 2 or even 1 player can keep your team a float in dd and ctf.

could make it if a team scores then every is back in. kind of like sports games where the ball goes back in the middle and positions reset.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Why not use a cohesion timer for resurrects? This would weed out the "bad" and reward the "good" palyers for lesser or no deaths.

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

I havent been on for the any of the new games, but I think the rez timer is on track. Any longer, I would get tired of waiting. Maybe though if the new maps are a lot bigger it would be worth decreasing the respawn time as it takes longer to get back into the battle. Take the battlefield game titles as an example. 15 seconds is about the average respawn while playing online. It seems though that the more of your team is dead the shorter the respawn time is approx 10 sec and the better the team does with more on the battlefield your respawn time is longer up to 20 secs. Just a thought if we are thinking about changing it. It would be interesting to see how that would effect combat.
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Faust

Post by Faust »

My idea about a cohesion timer would work like this.

There will be a counter for your character that would be added each time you die. The timer formula would be based on ( Counter * 10 ) = Time in seconds for you to be able to resurrect. The counter could have a maximum of 5 counts on it so that the timer would not exceed past 50s. The counter can be reduced by a timer that ticks down only while you're alive. This timer could either be static or based off the same formula.

Counter Formula

Code: Select all

Counter: (Counter * 10) = Time in seconds.
1 - 10 Seconds
2 - 20 Seconds
3 - 30 Seconds
4 - 40 Seconds
5 - 50 Seconds
This way if you die repeatedly during obvious suicide runs your timer would become longer and longer until the cap. This would promote more teamwork and lesser Rambo's. The exact formula/numbers obviously doesn't need to be the same. I am merely suggesting using a cohesion timer that works in the nature above.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

Sounds like a great suggestion Faust. Everyone hates waiting but it's necessary to prevent kamikaze runs

alatar

Post by alatar »

i like Faust's idea very much.. I know that when I use redemption in DD & CTF i have no problem making kills on suicide runs.. I know quite a few annoying suicide dexxers that join these events..

I definatly think that this should be something to consider and possibly add to these events. I see this as being a promotion to teamwork and cross-healing and even team synchs, as this change would certainly make staying alive a higher priority.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I like this idea a lot too. I'll implement it in a game as a trial soon and we'll see how it works.

venox

Post by venox »

yea this idea is worth a try.
id also consider ressurecting every1 once a pt it scored. cause otherwise 1 team could be fighting a constant losing battle. maybe have this more for DD?