Resist gains

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Resist gains

Post by nightshark »

On OSI I GM'ed resist in 2001 with a mix of my gains coming from PvP and the rest from letting monsters cast on me during powerhour. A notable difference between there and RunUO shards was the difference in HOW I gained. On OSI I was still gaining occasionally from e-bolts in PvP at 98+. Here, it is capped at 85 (RunUO default).

Also to note is that at lower levels, I would have a 0% chance to gain from a lightning/ebolt. Heck, even at 50 resist I had 0% chance to gain from spells like lightning. This was really obvious during T2A, as my dexxers (used for lich killing exclusively) would only have 55 resist or so, even after killing millions of gold worth of liches. The only gains I would even get were from resisting spells like poison, and the chance for that to happen was pretty low. On this shard my character gained to 70 from liches in about 2 weeks.

---------------------------------------

Proof that resist gains are whacky here and the caps for gaining off a particular spell should not be using runUO defaults (they are wrong):

http://web.archive.org/web/200003061213 ... tchart.htm

Some things to note:
He casts 4600 flamestrikes from 88.5 magery, and is only at 95.6 when he finishes. On UOSA you would very easily have GMed by that stage. Unfortunately, he does not mention whether he only includes successful casts in his calculations for for resist.

3 64.6 67.6 63.8 64.4 1200 Fireballs
Fireball to 67.6 resist. Here it caps at 55(?) I believe. His magery is nowhere near gm at this stage - I imagine if his magery was GM, fireball would take you far higher.

5 - - 70.5 79.0 1000 E-bolts
He casts 1000 ebolts while he has 67.6 resist, and DOES NOT GAIN A SINGLE POINT IN RESIST

9 79.6 80.3 79.3 79.3 500 Lightning
He uses lightning all the way up to 80.3. Here it is not possible to gain from lightning after 65. Note his magery is not even gm - light with GM magery should take you even higher.

13 89.6 90.6 87.6 88.5 800 E-bolts
Ebolts up to 90.6 resist. Here it caps at 85.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Izual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Resist gains

Post by Izual »

nightshark wrote:Here it is not possible to gain from lightning after 65
I got to 68.5 Resist from lightning the other day, and I think it would have continued but I switched to EB

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Izual wrote:
nightshark wrote:Here it is not possible to gain from lightning after 65
I got to 68.5 Resist from lightning the other day, and I think it would have continued but I switched to EB
Hmm, that must be a recent change then, with the damage patch. Every other time it has capped at 65 for me as per runUO default. And ebolt at 85 as per default.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

hectorc2w
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by hectorc2w »

something is wrong with resist, lots of people remember too well casting fireballs/lightnings way into their 60-70s to gain, not using ebolt/fs until real late

SuPaH

Post by SuPaH »

I'm not sure what era this was in LiveUO but couldn't you also gain on wands?

For some reason I remember hording harm and lightning wands to simply spam on myself for resist gains.
The Jennings Brothers

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Yes, that should certainly work.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."