melee clarification anyone?

Topics related to Second Age
Grom

melee clarification anyone?

Post by Grom »

Just started on this server a couple of weeks ago with friends, (6 of us total now). Most of us started off as melee based characters, but that quickly changed after a few nights running melee. Something I've heard people mention in these forums is that weapon attack timers stop if your moving, and if that's the case, it explains our frustration while chasing people, as they keep casting quick heals and our swings don't seem to go off, despite us all using the most dexer heavy fencing builds we would use back in the day.

My question is, will melee change or is this accurate to the era? As it stands, 5 out of our 6 friends have already started working on mages, because it seems chasing people down apparently requires random pauses to pull off swings (correct me if I'm wrong on this). I personally enjoy playing a melee character, and when trying to research this topic in the forums it seems like there's a debate about era accuracy, but mostly I run across a bunch of hally mages debating back and forth, which just ends up confusing the hell outa me. All I really want to know is, when I chase people down with my dexer, will he swing normally while moving, or do I have to randomly stop for the swing timer to go, and if so is this going to change to make melee more viable, or is this just the era of mages or something.

p.s., I really, really don't want to make the same cookie cutter hally mage build everyone else seems to make, like I said, we just started on this server, and everytime we've been murdered, its been to the hands of hally whacking mages, not a single other build seems to make it to the field, which imo, is a bad sign that something is terribly wrong when everyone's the exact same thing.

Faust

Re: melee clarification anyone?

Post by Faust »

Will be changing here real soon.

The movement restriction will be gone.

Grom

Post by Grom »

thanks! that's the exact clarification I was looking for :).

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Also, warriors(especially fencers) even in their current state can be extremely powerful.

Here's a few tips:

1. When chasing a mage if they circle around or get caught on a tree/object try to stop for a "split second" to "regain your hit" since with 100 dex it doesn't take but a split second.
2. Keep your stamina full. Carry lots of food and stamina potions. Keep it 100% full as much as you can.
3. Drink GM-made agility potions, carry at least 10 and use them wisely!
4. Try to use magic weapons(force is better), but make sure you have pouches so you don't lose it because of something silly like a para gank.
5. Don't spam attack last constantly on a mage, all that makes them do is run more to recharge their hally. It's in your interest to have the mage attack you more head-on and not be running around as much. Taking a hally hit in armor isn't that big of a deal so it's worth not using attack last that much to "steal" their hit.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I disagree with the above.

You want to attack last and make them punch whenever that halberd is not in their hand. Sure it might be "cheap" but it is what's best for your interests. There is no pvp etiquette you have to follow, don't listen to all the whiney pvpers.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I disagree with the above.

You want to attack last and make them punch whenever that halberd is not in their hand. Sure it might be "cheap" but it is what's best for your interests. There is no pvp etiquette you have to follow, don't listen to all the whiney pvpers.
Has nothing to do with "whining mages". The less you attack last spam, then the less a mage feels the need to run, stop, run, stop to cycle their hit. It's simple.

Of course not all mages will even worry about a weapon hit as it's possible to kill a warriior without using your hally at all, but still.

Just saying, if you want a mage running less and engaging you toe-to-toe more often(which is in your interest as a warrior) then don't constantly spam attack last.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

That is silly.

They are never going to engage you toe to toe. When you don't follow them around wasting their swings, they will just sit there, cast spells in front of you while exploiting the hally. You are practically asking to die.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:That is silly.

They are never going to engage you toe to toe. When you don't follow them around wasting their swings, they will just sit there, cast spells in front of you while exploiting the hally. You are practically asking to die.
If the warrior sucks then sure...spam attack last..

Otherwise if a warrior can't win a fight without using attack last then they won't win either way(the mage will either run or kill you with spells alone)

just the way it is.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

The only way you are killing anyone as a dexer is by getting a few lucky hits in a row. Meanwhile your goal is to stay alive, and allowing a tank mage to use the hally is not going to aide you in that. Spamming attack last will obviously get you nowhere due to the throttle, but you should tap it at a decent interval to prevent them from using the halberd entirely.

If you sit there and spam it you also take some damage from their wrestle. You want to use it right before they would have a swing.

punk

Post by punk »

Orphik you're basically saying "let them have a few hally hits to trick them into thinking they have a chance to kill you" but in reality giving them a few hally hits will make their chances to kill you skyrocket...

As a hally mage I know when a dexxer is not spamming attack last, I have a much better chance to kill them than when they are. Trust me, you want to spam attack last as much as possible..
Erik [Hu]

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Another tip for "getting the runner" is to use purple pots. Especially if there's 2-3 of you chasing someone, gun them down!
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

RoadKill wrote:Another tip for "getting the runner" is to use purple pots. Especially if there's 2-3 of you chasing someone, gun them down!
Easier said than done with the new changes.

I fully expect some "lol newb you just dont know how to toss leet pots, rofl lolzorz", but just ignore it, log in and try it for yourself. Purple-potion tossing either misses or blows you up as it stands. I have not seen nearly anyone using them lately because of this, and when they do, they toss it and it sits on the ground for a second, or blows them up, ergo, not good for catching runners.

Lupos

Post by Lupos »

Can we get an ETA when this is goin to be fixed? I'm pretty fond of my warrior character. I don't expect to be the ultimate pvper with the template buy I tried him out on CTF the other night an it's clearly broken

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
RoadKill wrote:Another tip for "getting the runner" is to use purple pots. Especially if there's 2-3 of you chasing someone, gun them down!
Easier said than done with the new changes.

I fully expect some "lol newb you just dont know how to toss leet pots, rofl lolzorz", but just ignore it, log in and try it for yourself. Purple-potion tossing either misses or blows you up as it stands. I have not seen nearly anyone using them lately because of this, and when they do, they toss it and it sits on the ground for a second, or blows them up, ergo, not good for catching runners.
It seems to work weird and sometimes I can get good throws, other times they blow up on me.

It's weird. Sometimes I even manage to throw them quite far lol.

Are they useless? Definitely not, but they need to work more consistently IMO.

Lupos

Post by Lupos »

If they work more consistently we'll have uogamers style dexers that just chase and pot throw.