Introductions and Questions

Topics related to Second Age
Seramir

Introductions and Questions

Post by Seramir »

Hello all,

The name's Seramir, and I finally managed to join this shard today. I had a few difficulties up until now- I've been using Ubuntu and VirtualBox to log in, as described in one of the excellent guides on these forums. Unfortunately, when I was originally trying to set up Razor, I messed around with one thing too many and ended up losing all the data on my hard drive. Fortunately, everything important was backed up, but I've spent the last few days reinstalling programs.

I'm really impressed with everything I've seen so far- the people on the forums have been respectful to each other, Derrick showed up to greet me as soon as I logged in (although he could have just been checking on a rogue easter bunny :D), and the shard seems to be very well thought out.

At this point, the only problem I'm running into is an inordinate amount of lag. I'm sure it's mostly on my end- maybe I didn't give VirtualBox enough memory to work with. If anyone else is running UO this way, could you let me know what settings you used, and how it's working out for you?

In-game help would be appreciated as well- if you have any time to spare to help a newb, I'd be glad to meet you. Unfortunately, my schedule will be a little off, since I'm currently in Korea (GMT +9, but no daylight savings time, so it's 13 hours ahead of EST). Nice to meet you all!

do0m

Re: Introductions and Questions

Post by do0m »

Hey bro, Welcome!

Lag hmm.. I run 3 UOs at once and don't lag at all. Sometimes i run 3 uo's and play WoW as well without lag, so i'm assuming it's your end =)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It was good to meet you this morn, and great to have you on Second Age.

I was chasing down that damn Easter bunny when we met, but I do try get around and meet everyone new. It's been more difficult lately with so many new players coming in though, so if I've missed anyone I apologize.

Memory and fragmentation can be a big issue with the UO client. I'm not very familiar with VirtualBox, but the server is on a pretty major pipe in Texas and lag is seldom reported.

DemonArkanis

Post by DemonArkanis »

The fact you're in Korea may have something to do with it. Perhaps you should stop that.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

DemonArkanis wrote:The fact you're in Korea may have something to do with it. Perhaps you should stop that.
Furby is not a canon Star Wars character and is NOT recognized by wookiepedia.
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

Heya Seramir, it's good to have you here!
I am the one that posted the guide on how to set up the VM and I am glad that someone has found it somewhat helpful. Alas, I do not use the VM often, as my main gaming computer is still a windows install.
I talked to my friend who uses VM to play UO all the time, and he said that he does not have a problem with lag from the internet. He did say that he will experience CPU lag if he has many programs running in linux before starting the VM. It might be possible that you are experiencing lag from this? If you are trying to run the VM on an older machine, maybe your processor is not fast enough? I am not sure what the requirements are to run smoothly, but there is some loss in performance when running through VM. He also said to make sure you have allocated sufficient memory (at least half of system resources) to the VM. There is also an option where you can tell the VM to not reserve processor for other things.
You might try to ping the server from both linux and windows and see if it is truly your connection from the other side of the globe or if you are just experiencing lag from not having enough memory/CPU.

Also, personally, I have found that closing all bittorrent connections on my router helps a lot with my ping, even though I am only 2 states away from the server in TX.

Hope this helps! Hope to see you in game!
Cheers

Seramir

Post by Seramir »

Thanks for all the responses! It turned out that the issues I was having with VirtualBox went away with a restart, which solved a good deal of the lag problem, but it's still there, as an effect of the aforementioned "being in Korea" problem. Unfortunately, Google offered no hits for "how to stop being in Korea", so looks like I'll have to work out my own solution. :P

Hope to see you all online!

leterrien
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by leterrien »

Heh, good to hear Seramir! Sounds like most of the problem is from the lack of fiber optics between Korea and Texas ;) Welcome to second age!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That's a good tip on Torrents. Even when you have a low transfer speed, the numbers of incoming connections can be overwhelming and even if you have an advanced bit torrent client that allows you to restrict the incoming connections you're still getting hammered with requests, often even after the client has been closed.

Glad you got part of the lag problem fixed Seramir. See ya in game.