Moongates

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Purge

Re: Moongates

Post by Purge »

Recall scroll sells would jump... :D

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

StDrahcir wrote:I'm just worried that changing this will result in a very annoying cycle and really just become more of a time sink than something nostalgic. I just don't want this to be just another thing that makes dexxers w/ no magery basically a pain in the ass yet again. Its hard enough as it is already.

Now if I step through it from Brit and can cycle through the locations to where I want to go (like it is now) then I am fine by that. I'd hate to have to wait a 2 or 3 minutes or more so it hits that "certain" moon cycle just to hit the spot I want to get to.

Sure its just minutes, but since I don't really use magery I use moongates a TON daily.
It's always been the plan to get this working correctly. We had it in when we opened, but it was a little broken so we pulled it, and just haven't gotten back to it.

Faust

Post by Faust »

What was the problem in the beginning with this Derrick or anyone else that may know?

Red

Post by Red »

I hate accurate moongates..

Faust

Post by Faust »

I hate UOR moongates. :wink:

One thing that I despised about UOR was the change of the moongates. All this did was allow moongate pvp, and that is simply just as bad as house pvp. At least with accurate moongates you had a chance of following the individual or get away, which is why moongate pvp was not as frequent like it was during the UOR era. Moongates are a free public transportation system with a slight negative effect added to it. This is the same as reagents cost for recall and gating. It shouldn't be free without a negative aspect to it. Not to mention it was era accurate.

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

Moongate PvP? I figured by now with how frequently I use moongates I would have run into a problem, but I haven't run into any problems at all. I am assuming due in part that they are guard protected so I don't see how you can have moongate PvP then.

I think recall has 2 negatives. 1) Reagents and 2) You have to sacrifice a skill to have magery. The thing I hate about moongates only taking you to like Brit to Minoc and if I jump in again back to Brit until 1 to 2 minutes pass so that its in another "moon phase" is because then I have to sit there and camp the moongate until I find the spot I need. I think this would open the door for moongate PvP for sure then because the person knows where I am going - this is all assuming I know what you guys are referring to.

With the current system I just keep double clicking the moongate (usually using a simple razor macro so I can be lazy) until I get to where I want to go and then I just head on my merry way. Am I wrong in thinking this?
Tanque / Chinchilla (crafter) / St Drahcir - (ingame characters)

Faust

Post by Faust »

Different locations use a different moon phase. It isn't that hard to flow through the gate until you get to your required destination.

What causes moongate pvp is the ability to choose where you want to go. This means that you have a guarenteed escape when you either get ganked or flee.

Moongate pvp flourished during UOR because of that change to moongates. UOR moongates also increases moongate thievery, because a thief can easily escape. At least with the t2a moongates you have a chance to escape, but the chance isn't that great since it's rare that you catch a different moon phase than the thief. I will be looking forward to the correct moongates to be active on here again.

WoozyRargar

Post by WoozyRargar »

I used moongates considerably until I built up a decent rune collection, and I don't know about you guys, but I never saw anyone around when I was cycling through them, much less a PKer or a thief. I don't think making moongates T2A accurate is going to discourage any kind of PvP or thieving, because there is hardly anything of the sort happening at them on a normal basis to discourage!

All making moongates T2A accurate will do is unnecessarily inconvenience people, and lower their usefulness and their use significantly by players (probably). There is a downside to moongates as they currently are: they are not located in towns, so one must run a distance out of town and then run back. I know that's not a huge deal, but almost always I consider the cost of Recall regents to be worth the minute or two saved it would take to run to and from a moongate. As someone else similarly mentioned, pure dexers would seem (in my mind) an even more unattractive character template with this change.