Placing Items on Railings

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Placing Items on Railings

Post by Kelektra »

So i havent been able to find actual patchnotes or anything but here it goes

I specifically remember being able to place containers/items on top of the tile where railings were in houses

Screenshot #1. (from stratics)

I had a smithy in the Desert of Compassion, and since its a place that had many mobs, i had my recall spot right at the RED CIRCLE. At this circle was a red box that was secured on the railing. Inside i would have my keys to the house and also would put my lootings in there just in case some mobs got me when i recalled home.
bigsmith1.jpg
bigsmith1.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
Screenshot #2 (from a random website, http://www.andrea.net/uo/bigmamas/)

Though the screenshots are outside of our era, its the only screenshots i can find that it was possible. This isnt something i am betting alot of people did or took screenies of so this was the best i could find.
railing1.JPG
railing1.JPG (86.15 KiB) Viewed 3258 times

Wondering if anyone else out there might remember this or even have screenshots of our era that this was possible.
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

Dagon

Re: Placing Items on Railings

Post by Dagon »

If there was a container on the railing of the patio, then wouldn't it not load until you stepped on the stairs because of that patch.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Very interesting in that last screenshot. I'm sure there's no difference between era and current in regards to this, the LOS was found to be identical. You are saying the red box was at the base of the railing, or on top of it?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

To Derrick:
It would be on top of the railing.
Also derrick, placement of items on the railing seemed like it was when you place on the roof border(tower/keep/castle), wasnt easy to get it to place, but if you used a small table then toss the items on top of the small table it would be alot easier, then you remove the table.

To Dagon:
The container would in fact load before you stepped on the stairs. Not sure if it was coded the same as items on steps that always show because the container is on the "outside" of the house.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I do recall things being put on top of internal railings (though, idk if it was t2a), but I don't remember them ever being put on the outside rail-wall of a patio. Seems like everyone would have put a key in a box on the outside if this were possible. Especially considering the popularity of that house model.

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I do recall things being put on top of internal railings (though, idk if it was t2a), but I don't remember them ever being put on the outside rail-wall of a patio. Seems like everyone would have put a key in a box on the outside if this were possible. Especially considering the popularity of that house model.
Not an expert on coding but i think it was the same mechanic involved in both scenerios. If i am not mistaken you were only able to place the red box on the 1 spot (where the circle is) and have the container secured. I think you were only able to lockdown items on all the other spots but not secure a container.

Also, you have to realize once secures came into game, people figured out very quickly about the lockdown of keyrings so the majority of people just did that but i liked having the secure to have the keys that way you didnt need to use an "entry macro". Plus with having a house that had constant spawn it was easier to grab the key do a little circle and then run in the house and close doors quickly. An entry macro takes slightly longer to execute then having keys on you and time was everything when you have 2 scorps and 3 earth elems trying to eat you.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Is there any sort of proof for the external railing other than personal anecdote?

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

I have been searching for a greater part of this week for anything out on the internet.

I have my brother bringing me a USB-IDE docking station so i can start going through the 20 HDs i have sitting in a box in my basement. Hoping that i might have some screenshots from back in the day with anytthing that might help.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks again for this thread, the screenshots helped identify the differences in how dropping items on top of map statics should work, and enabled a comprehensive fix for a few existing issues. As of this morning, dropping of items in these locations is valid, and the issues with accessing of containers that are perched on the top edges or towers keeps and castles (previously unreachable) has also been fixed properly.

Kelektra wrote:I have my brother bringing me a USB-IDE docking station so i can start going through the 20 HDs i have sitting in a box in my basement. Hoping that i might have some screenshots from back in the day with anything that might help.
All screenshots you might be able to dig up would be extremely valuable even though this issue is resolved. We've been trying to build a library of screenshots from era on our Downloads site @ http://download.uosecondage.com/OsiScreenshots/
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kith
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kith »

nice find, maybe now patios can replace large brick placeholders :)
Kith-Mart - Save Money. Live Better.
Brokers of Britannia [B*B]
Kith's Real Estate Mediation Services (KREMS)