Sleeves over the top of tunic layering error

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
pm_lamont

Sleeves over the top of tunic layering error

Post by pm_lamont »

I think the images are self explanitory. The sleeves should be below the tunic, or displayed before the tunic is displayed on screen (dare I venture to guess how ultimas graphics load). However instead, the sleeves appear over the shoulder of the tunic, creating a strange affect where one can see the tip of the shoulder, and the shoulder flap of the armor is underneath the sleeve! Its like we are wearing our socks over our shoes :P
Attachments
Here the first 8 images show a person wearing various armor, and then the last(bottom) 2 images show without sleeves on.
Here the first 8 images show a person wearing various armor, and then the last(bottom) 2 images show without sleeves on.
img1.JPG (65.56 KiB) Viewed 2148 times

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Sleeves over the top of tunic layering error

Post by Roser »

This has bothered me for an eternity it seems.

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

This really is the tip of the layering iceburg, but it is the most obvious one and idk about the rest of u, but it really bugs the hell out of me. Sometimes Ill even just not wear the sleeves because it looks unsightly and just take the ar loss/full damage on hit to that location. I know there was a patch to address layering before, and it was very very useful for things like cloth tunics over plate etc, but this and a number of other items could be addressed in the future. Namely short spears phasing through your body as u walk if ur on foot, articles of clothing(shirts) appearing around the outside of ones armor(chainmail). Bone leggings sticking out the sides of boots etc...I think most of those could be fixed by checking to see if the item has been superceded by an overlapping item, and not loading the image at all until the item on top is removed, or perhaps masking the various images a little better. Thigh boots over the top of bone armor is my favorite example; another is wearing a red shirt and having a chain tunic over it. Youll have a red halo around your armor both on your paperdoll, and on your character in game. Those are things I can think of atm, but sleeves are definitely my most unfavored layer error.
Last edited by pm_lamont on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

As we have it now is how I remember it on OSI...

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

Did you look at the art and animation files in the .mul and compare?

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

GleepGlop wrote:Did you look at the art and animation files in the .mul and compare?
I really don't think this is a full animation type setup. I would think that the server sends info of what the character is wearing and the client processes that data into an image on the screen for each item worn. I would think it would have to be done much like a painting, with the items in the foreground "painted" last. I comparison would be a building with a toilet inside. If you put the toilet on last, it would show up outside the building. I dont know enough about how the game works to determine if it is client side or server side. It could be information sent in a certain order, or the game client loading items in a certain order or both that cause the error. It looks rediculous.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Is there any evidence this isn't era accurate?

Like I said, this is how I remember it on OSI. It may not look pretty, but it should remain if accurate.

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Is there any evidence this isn't era accurate?

Like I said, this is how I remember it on OSI. It may not look pretty, but it should remain if accurate.
Is there any evidence this isn't era accurate?

Tbh, the thought that this was or wasnt era accurate hadnt even crossed my mind. This is the kind of thing where if anyone saw it, theyd fix it. I wouldnt have even considered it being patched to look that way in era. Ill take a look at my hardcopy of the demo, and see if it really is this crappy in there.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

NEA

But I think this is a client side issue, and probably cant be resolved easily.

I would like to see this fixed if possible. Leather used to look so cool, esp then your character is facing North.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Layering isn't client side

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Yea this post is right.

But the paperdoll is supposed to show the arms over the armor(so you can see the strap) if we're talking OSI. But yes, on your character in-game the shoulders are over it.

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

Well for whatever reason I cant get my demo working....it wont recognize the CD drive. I for one do not remember leather armor looking retarded. As it appears in the paperdoll, it should appear in game. Common sense really... As for the strap, not sure. Hopefully I can get my demo working and check it out!
I know that ringmail sleeves are supposed to have that if u wear it over chainmail tunics etc, but if one just looks in the paperdoll at the leather tunic, the should pads are very pronounced and clearly overlap the sleeves. I dont see how the strap overlap would work...perhaps youre thinking of ringmail?

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Well for whatever reason I cant get my demo working.... it wont recognize the CD drive.
Refer to this post on JoinUO to find out why it isn't working and what you can do to make it work: http://www.joinuo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=574
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

Batlin wrote:
Well for whatever reason I cant get my demo working.... it wont recognize the CD drive.
Refer to this post on JoinUO to find out why it isn't working and what you can do to make it work: http://www.joinuo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=574

Oh thx batlin, ill give this a try

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Any demo testing done on this yet/resolved issue?