Second Age Socio-Economic...Character...Groups

Topics related to Second Age
Klavis Verge

Second Age Socio-Economic...Character...Groups

Post by Klavis Verge »

Disclaimer: In my years I have been in not-so-long term relationships with people that were sensitive to the subject matter I bear before you in the following paragraphs. They would say "You cannot pigeonhole me!" or "I hate labels". If you've ever said such words to someone, I give fair warning as to the content of this message. Viewer discretion is advised.

P.S. I hope you all add to this as you please that it may become a full and complete document :D

In real life, we humans (or most us humans and supernatural others, or alter beings as it were) have groups to which each person can be ascribed, in general. These groups are, by some strangely common decided conclusion, are as follows:

Elites: The wealthy that inherit, and give inheritance. (not doctors and lawyers I mean "large tracts of land" like Ted Turner or at least a million dollar net worth)

Radical Chic: They wear the shiny clothes and set trends.

Suits: They know business. Doctors, lawyers, etc.

Blue Collars: They get things done. Victoria's Secret couldn't exist without them.

Fringe: Flower children and magic mushrooms can be found. Psychics and detached depraved persons and revolutionaries extraordinaire. Hally magi that are afraid to 1v1 certain other character types would fall into this.

Have Nots: Compulsive addicts, starving artists, homeless, etc.

Likewise, these groups can generally be applied to the Sosarian world in which we choose to "live".

Elite: Shard Admins, Contributors, Veterans that have earned the respect of the *greater* community (not of just a single guild), who in all have the greatest influence on the "big picture" tasks.

Radical Chic: "Trammelites" and overtly sensual or aesthetically appealing characters probably fit into this category.

Suits: All the merchants, if not also guild masters.

Blue Collar: Smiths, tinkers, bowyers, if not for a more perfect Union.

Fringe: I won't name names, but it can be seen in alchemy, spirit speak, etc.

Have Nots: Even though in real life a beggar makes more money than the average person on disability (fact is often stranger than fiction)...perhaps we can imagine in game beggars to be Have Nots, that we might feel good giving to them...at least until they have their own home, then society's expectations come roaring.

Add to it as you like; I'm sure I'm missing something...

Which one are You?
IF YOUR MONITOR SUPPORTS 1280X1024 then JOIN THE ELITE EXPERIENCE viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42397

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Second Age Socio-Economic...Character...Groups

Post by nightshark »

Did not fit into any of those groups.

Your example of a real life blue collar made me facepalm.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

And pirates!

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

chumbucket is an elite
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

You forgot bums.

Seriously, whenever games come up in conversation, I always mention how UO is the coolest game I've ever played. And one example I give, which always astounded me, is that there are actually BUMS in UO as well. Especially in 1999, when people were more clueless and loot was harder to come by. There would be a half-dozen people walking around WBB at any given time, asking people for handouts. Talk about art imitating life, or whatever.

You can say they are "have-nots" but it's different than that. There are people that don't have the time or inclination to build up their wealth or status or accomplish goals, but the bum is a different type of creature. Bums actually work harder than people doing the real easy stuff... and they do it for less money. It's intriguing.

Theograd

Post by Theograd »

Suits and Blue Collar seem to be one in the same as far as UO is concerned. At least it is for me, they go hand in hand.

Downs

Post by Downs »

is my statloss tinker blue collar?
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Downs wrote:is my statloss tinker blue collar?
Yes being that you gotta retrain tinkering after getting afk wtfpwnd by an ev. :lol:
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Ik'zahrta

Post by Ik'zahrta »

Nub! Uu'a fruget de Uruk. W'ruum we nub abuv dumhed Umies? We clomp Umies!
Signature provided by Atraxi

Drunk Monk

Post by Drunk Monk »

Ik'zahrta wrote:Nub! Uu'a fruget de Uruk. W'ruum we nub abuv dumhed Umies? We clomp Umies!
NOOGGRRAAAHH!! (3 posts, and perfect orc language?!)
“What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” -Albert Pike

Heckler

Post by Heckler »

Ik'zahrta wrote: We clomp Umies!

qft

Kander
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kander »

To bad i dont fit in any of these groups. Muahahaha

[08:52] <Spitfire|work> chain knows, he's cleaned more houses than that erotic maid service

Klavis Verge

Post by Klavis Verge »

Mikel123 wrote:You forgot bums. You can say they are "have-nots" but it's different than that. There are people that don't have the time or inclination to build up their wealth or status or accomplish goals, but the bum is a different type of creature. Bums actually work harder than people doing the real easy stuff... and they do it for less money. It's intriguing.
I did consider trying to categorize Bums but for the reasons you stated I decided not to. I know someone irl that I would call a "bad" Bum that lives in a mansion yet vampirizes the work of the "good" Bums that make the mansion Bum rich for the food the mansion Bum offers the good Bums lol
IF YOUR MONITOR SUPPORTS 1280X1024 then JOIN THE ELITE EXPERIENCE viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42397

Klavis Verge

Post by Klavis Verge »

Ik'zahrta wrote:Nub! Uu'a fruget de Uruk. W'ruum we nub abuv dumhed Umies? We clomp Umies!
hehe alternate races will surely include all the classes listed.

e.g. Shaman could be either fringe or elite, etc. etc. depending on the group's internal structure

Klavis Verge

Post by Klavis Verge »

Kander wrote:To bad i dont fit in any of these groups. Muahahaha
Duh you're Elite lol...In some thought I might go as far as to say maybe a hybrid of radical chic and suit (pretty AND mercenary) for most pirates?

There are executives with playgirls that happen to enjoy sailing yachts.