Do something about this autotabbing bullshit

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Do something about this autotabbing bullshit

Post by Derrick »

I've only just now got around to reading though this thread and I apologize for getting here so late, but I knew it was going to be a mess and seriously dreaded getting into it until I had the luxury of actually having the time to take some action on the issue.

To some extent there's been some misinformation in this thread and although i really don't have the energy at this point to clarify point-by-point, I want to let you know that the current auto-attack flood filter, while not exactly 1.0 seconds, or even a static time, clearly does not currently provide the effectiveness it was intended to provide.

I do have a very theoretical solution to this which has neither been coded or tested so there are no promised fixes at this time although any proposed fix will only be intended to target the uses of attack and tabbing which were specifically unavailable to people when this combat system existed (i.e. macro looping of both), and will not be intended or desired to effect regular combat.

On a separate note, it's been discussed in other threads the possibility of limiting some of Razors features and was dismissed as impractical. Razor does have some server side control but if you wish to discuss Razor limitations or spell timings, both of which are wholely worthy issues but outside of the scope of this threads topic, please open a new thread on them.

Going forward this this thread should contain constructive discussion of the autotabbing issue. The off-topic posts have been redirected to this thread: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3505

platy

Post by platy »

Thanks for the response derrick, hope you figure something good out..

platy

Post by platy »

How can you propose a solution wihtout actually changing combat? I'm lost but i guess since it's not tested or coded yet I'll have to wait..

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

One theoretical solution I just came up with...

Make tabbing much like traveling through a moon gate. If you tab once, you can't tab again for a second. If you tab again, you can't again for 5 seconds, and so on. If you get attacked...the timer resets.

So, in theory, if a person is spamming the auto tab unnecessarily they will suffer ill effects (be it the delay, instant death, or whatever 'penalty' is deemed worth applying'). If a person gets attacked, they have a legitimate reason to auto-tab and as thus any timers are reset to allow them to do so.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Faust

Post by Faust »

By default the RunUO code has a spam control on tabbing, which is relatively similar to the same one OSI used. It works by catching a certain number of tabs in a specific timespan, and if it hits the limit during that timespan your character is locked in its current tab state for 2 seconds.