Gaining stats with no room to gain skill

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Gaining stats with no room to gain skill

Post by Hemperor »

This has always seems a bit fishy to me, nevermind the fact that you can get 100 in stats in a matter of 2 hours, but that you can gain stats with 0 room to gain skill.

http://www.gamewinners.com/DOSWIN/blult ... ondage.htm

There are a few other websites that say the same thign, that you pretty much needed to still gain a skill to gain stats and the way they would do this is by gainign up to 20, turn down adn then gain another up to 20 etc...

Also, stat gain here is ridiculously easy compared to how I remember it.

also on a side note:

thats a screen shot from nov 1998 on many gaming sites for second age...i believe we don't have "you see whatever attacking whatever" here

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

platy

Re: Gaining stats with no room to gain skill

Post by platy »

I don't remember ever seeing such captions about "XXX is attacking XXX"..
Also, your saying you want stat to be harder to gain? You practically cannot get perfect stats with GM'ing skills alone.. (I gm'd magery a little bit ago on another char and wound up with 78 intel)
You are "almost" required to seesaw, which WAS the best way on OSI..
This IS a freeshard btw, you think we should have skill gain as slow as OSI too?
I've all but finished all my chars so I'm not disagreeing with you, but my opinion doesn't really matter since I'm not gaining any more skills/stats on my chars.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

I believe he's right when it comes to the system message of "you see x attacking x". As far as stat gain, that was easy when they came out with stat/skill locks.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Were stat locks even accurate? I'm not sure about that.

What I am saying though is that you could not gain stats if you weren't able to gain in that skill

Faust

Post by Faust »

Stat locks are actually out of era on here currently. :wink:

We are using the newer stat system that came out a patch or two before the UOR patch. I'm not sure if it will be reverted to the older style or not. This stat system included the bug where you could gain as long as the skill is pointed up regardless if you actually gain or not in the skill. That wasn't fixed until sometime after UOR. Stats were much harder in the older system, because the upper tier level of skills would raise it the most. It has been too long for me to remember the exact way it functioned. I haven't worked on it in years.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Faust wrote:Stat locks are actually out of era on here currently. :wink:

We are using the newer stat system that came out a patch or two before the UOR patch. I'm not sure if it will be reverted to the older style or not. This stat system included the bug where you could gain as long as the skill is pointed up regardless if you actually gain or not in the skill. That wasn't fixed until sometime after UOR. Stats were much harder in the older system, because the upper tier level of skills would raise it the most. It has been too long for me to remember the exact way it functioned. I haven't worked on it in years.
Ah thanks, that's exactly how I remembered it. I knew stat locks weren't in T2A.

I just think its a little BS that someone could max stats in under an hour if they are at stat cap and herding

Faust

Post by Faust »

I think stat locks should be removed for era accuracy reasons. Under the new stat system just before the UOR publish stats would only raise when your skill is pointed up. This grants a stat system that doesn't even require stat locks, because you can simply lock or point a skill down so you won't gain stats. In the older system stats would atrophy every now and than, which limited the use of a hybrid character significantly. That is one of the main reasons people didn't bother even building a hybrid. It was too hard to balance the stats. The only downfall to this will be the inconvenience that it causes on a player when your 100 str, 25 dex, and 100 int character gains a +dex and has to regain it once more. The same goes for a dexer casting magery and trigger a +int from your 100 str, 100 dex, and 25 int dexer.

The way the new stat system works like this. The lower your skill the better you gain stats. This is because as long as your skill is pointing up you could gain. You can put your skill at 0.0 and repeatedly do this for a possible gain. The skill curve starts at a peak from 0.0 and curves for slower stat chances all the way to 100.0 to the hardest possible attempt. The old system worked oppositely. The curve started from 100.0 for the easiest chance and curved all the way down to 0.0 for the hardest possible chance. This is why macroing stats took much longer during this era, because you actually had to have higher skill to gain stats quickly.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Mmm, I can't wait till the orcish fire building causes all of you guys to lose that .1 in magery and resist. LOL
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Heheh, Learning by watching certainly must have been one of the most annoying things ever, but was removed prior to the T2A release.

platy

Post by platy »

in this case, are SKILL locks accurate?
I remember major assholes running around using kindling to screw everyones skills up at WBB on catskills at least..
I personally wouldn't like to see either removed..

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

platy wrote:in this case, are SKILL locks accurate?
I remember major assholes running around using kindling to screw everyones skills up at WBB on catskills at least..
I personally wouldn't like to see either removed..
Skilllocks are t2a i believe and I think derrick just said that was pret2a, gaining from watching.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, Skill Locks were added in era but gaining from watching was removed long before them.
Stat locks are post era and there was some discussion of removing them quite a while ago but we did end up leaving them in. There's no way to get rid of the arrows, another curse of the later generations.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

i dont mind stat locks, this topic was mianly about being able to gain stats while not being able to gain skill

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Q: "How do I gain stats when at the skill cap?"

A: "You can only gain stats from skills that are marked as "up". If you are at the skill cap, you will only gain stats from skills if you mark another skill as "down" (provided that you have points to atrophy in that skill) or if the skill is at Grandmaster (in this case, you do not need to mark any skills as "down".
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... atch_Notes