Less-than-GM taming/animal lore

Topics related to Second Age
Jamie Bond

Less-than-GM taming/animal lore

Post by Jamie Bond »

Hi,

I just started a character who will be a tamer. I've played UO since 98, but I have never really used a tamer before, so I am noob in this area.

I am not going to go the traditional route, and I am planning on an 8 skill template. I am happy with some lesser tames following me around (I don't care if I can't use dragons). I was just wondering exactly how low I could make my taming/lore and still be able to tame/control certain pets.

This is the template I have drafted out:

100 hide
90 stealth
80 animal lore
80 vet
90 taming
80 magery
80 meditation
100 wrestling

I could drop stealth down to 80 (I believe 80 stealth is all that is needed for 100% success with zero armour).

I could also drop hiding to 80 and rely on the invis spell and invis items (80 hide is the minimum for using stealth)

My plan is to have a pack of animals following me around while I am stealthed, and I would pop out just to apply bandages, cast invis, or cast heal. I know this is not the optimal farming template; I am looking for optimal fun, not efficiency (I find stealth to be the funnest skill in UO :D)

Anyway, can anyone give me options as to what kind of pets are viable at these skill levels? Any suggestions on tweaks to the templates? Thanks!

LudKrud

Re: Less-than-GM taming/animal lore

Post by LudKrud »

http://web.archive.org/web/199910190051 ... /anim2.htm

The lore needed to control is the same as to tame.That lists pretty much all the animals.
And if it matters,once you have stealth you dont need hiding to use it.Use an invis item or cast invis and you can stealth.

Jamie Bond

Post by Jamie Bond »

Are you saying I can GM stealth, than drop hiding and still use the stealth skill with invis spell...?

Azeroth

Post by Azeroth »

Basically that build is useless best build is basically. i think this is a good build
100 Vet
100 lore
100 taming
100 magery
100 med
100 resist
100 eval/hiding

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

LudKrud wrote:And if it matters,once you have stealth you dont need hiding to use it.Use an invis item or cast invis and you can stealth.
Are you sure about that? Was discussing that the other day and wasn't sure. The fact you need 80 hiding before the skill button even works in the first place made me think this wasn't true.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

platy

Post by platy »

Yea I was under the impression stealth uses a hiding skill check for use..
Could be wrong though

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Unless its not the same as it used to be you dont need the hiding once you have the stealth.It just checks if you are hidden.

Not saying I couldnt be wrong but thats how it used to work....

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

LudKrud wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/199910190051 ... /anim2.htm

The lore needed to control is the same as to tame
Not true!

And in fact, the input of Animal Lore on taming success rate is 1/4th the impact of Animal Taming skill itself. That is, you'll have the same chance of success in controlling an animal with 100 Taming/0 Lore as you would at 80 Taming/80 Lore. Taming skill is the only one checked in actually determining your ability to tame something.

I rarely advocate for something else than 7xGM, but in your example:
100 hide
90 stealth
80 animal lore
80 vet
90 taming
80 magery
80 meditation
100 wrestling
You would have the same chance of controlling your pets as you did with:
100 hide
90 stealth
40 animal lore
80 vet
100 taming
80 magery
80 meditation
100 wrestling
And now you have 30 more skill points to play with, you can tame dragons directly (instead of needing them to be transferred to you, etc.).

I don't know that any of this matters for walking around with pack animals... they require 0 taming and 0 animal lore...

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

^ single most relevant post in this thread.

Thnx for the info Mikel, I bet many of us didn't know that.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Jamie Bond

Post by Jamie Bond »

Wow so much conflicting information.

Thanks everyone for input. Mikel123, I hope you are right. Can anyone else confirm this formula?

For the record, I won't be using pack animals... I think I used the term "pack" but meant that as a group of animals. I would be taming and using monsters/animals I can use to actually fight with :)

As for stealth, pretty much everyone I talk to says you need at least 80 hide for the stealth skill to work. Has anyone actually tested this? If I could drop hiding, it would open up a lot of opportunities.

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Mikel123 wrote:
LudKrud wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/199910190051 ... /anim2.htm

The lore needed to control is the same as to tame
Not true!

And in fact, the input of Animal Lore on taming success rate is 1/4th the impact of Animal Taming skill itself. That is, you'll have the same chance of success in controlling an animal with 100 Taming/0 Lore as you would at 80 Taming/80 Lore. Taming skill is the only one checked in actually determining your ability to tame something.

I rarely advocate for something else than 7xGM, but in your example:
100 hide
90 stealth
80 animal lore
80 vet
90 taming
80 magery
80 meditation
100 wrestling
You would have the same chance of controlling your pets as you did with:
100 hide
90 stealth
40 animal lore
80 vet
100 taming
80 magery
80 meditation
100 wrestling
And now you have 30 more skill points to play with, you can tame dragons directly (instead of needing them to be transferred to you, etc.).

I don't know that any of this matters for walking around with pack animals... they require 0 taming and 0 animal lore...
Except we were talking about controlling the pet not taming it.

I'd like to see the info on where you get taming helping you with controlling your pet.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

In addition to this template, archaicsubrosa also recommends the provoking thief and the parry tamer. He visited me in a dream and told me to relay this message.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

He already said hes not going for efficiency here,just something he would find fun to play.

I like when people dont cookie cutter like 90% of people on whatever server they play......

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

If you follow Mike's template,
I would go for GM magery, or you'll be wanting gate scrolls. And put the other ten in lore.
If your pets are unruly then you could drop stealth to say 70, and bump the lore up 20.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

LudKrud wrote:Except we were talking about controlling the pet not taming it.

I'd like to see the info on where you get taming helping you with controlling your pet.
Hi.

There are a lot of things in the OP that are being discussed. I think I addressed all of them that I could, but there's a lot going on here.

You can find the info I cite in the UOSA wiki, as well as Stratics archives on archive.org. Actually, it may even be the same today on live servers of UO for all I know.