New Player saying hello with a couple of questions.

Topics related to Second Age
Bobcat Brown

New Player saying hello with a couple of questions.

Post by Bobcat Brown »

Hey there, long time UO vet, and have played quite a few private servers. Most private servers are now offering no skill cap..and personally i think that is ridiculous...no character customization..no thought..I personally enjoyed my T2A experience more than other expansions..although I will admit so far there are a few things I have noticed were improved through expansions. The biggest one I'd say is the crafting screen. Ah well you have to take the good with the bad. I love the weapon system...vanquishing etc..not the hit spell BS, neon weapons...where valorite was just to show everyone you are richer than they are, instead of different resists. No item insurance..you chance to lose what you bring. So far in my limited play this server looks awesome. Definately slow starting (just like the real UO was). I do find myself sometimes in questions in how to progress, but I'm refiguring it out. I dont' want my hand held.

Anyhow..just the few questions I have..as I can't remember exactly what was T2A and what was after..

1) Fishing..when you fish up a MIB..do you have to kill a serpent?
2) I understand fishing up MIB's AFK is a big no no...but what about AFK training fishing?

I think I'm forgetting some...but oh well...any other tips you might feel is necessary?

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: New Player saying hello with a couple of questions.

Post by Jill Stihl »

Bobcat Brown wrote:....1) Fishing..when you fish up a MIB..do you have to kill a serpent?
2) I understand fishing up MIB's AFK is a big no no...but what about AFK training fishing?....
1. No serpent involved. The MIB will just appear in your pack.

2. You can't legally AFK fish at all.

Welcome to UOSA. It's a great server :)

merkman

Post by merkman »

I thought u could fish afk just not from shore am i wrong?

Nidaic

Post by Nidaic »

AFK + Fishing Pole = No go.
I've met a couple GMs for chats while on the seas. At keyboard everytime of course.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

If I'm not wrong due to to many exploits fishing "in deep" from shore problems it was banned altogether. I have been out of the loop for awhile . but its what I recall.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

AFK Fishing from shore became illegal in Patch 141-Feb 23: Pet Guarding, Criminality of expl's, more.
Derrick wrote: "Deep water" has been completely revised, and may even be reachable from shore in some places.
  • Due to this, it is no longer permissible to fish AFK from shore.
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

Welcome to UOSA! I can tell from your attitude that you'll have no problems here. Unfortunately, the patch note Zelek posted is correct. AFK fishing from shore used to be legal, but due to revision of the deep water it no longer is. Sucks for new players, good for me since I'd already GM'd 3 fishermen :D As for your other question, I believe there is a random, very small chance of pulling up a serpent on any given cast (or at least that used to be the case?), but it has nothing to do with pulling up a t-map or MiB. Hope this helps, and feel free to ask questions if you are unsure about anything.

ONEmortal

Post by ONEmortal »

My understanding is that a failed fishing check once you go past 80 (Is it 80?) skill is what draws a sea serpent to the surface and you are fishing in deep sea. I have never tested it myself extensively.

Welcome to UOSA.

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

ONEmortal wrote:My understanding is that a failed fishing check once you go past 80 (Is it 80?) skill is what draws a sea serpent to the surface and you are fishing in deep sea. I have never tested it myself extensively.

Welcome to UOSA.
Ah yes I believe you are correct. "Random" was probably not my best choice of word

merkman

Post by merkman »

So from what i understand afk fishing is no go on shore but ok from a boat way out in the deep blue coorect?

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

merkman wrote:So from what i understand afk fishing is no go on shore but ok from a boat way out in the deep blue coorect?
AFK fishing is not permitted anywhere, shore or boat out at sea.

You used to be able to AFK fish from shore, AFK deepwater fishing has always been illegal. Recently (as per patchnote posted by Zelek Uther above) fishing from shore also became illegal.

Bobcat Brown

Post by Bobcat Brown »

Thanks for all the help! So far I'm enjoying the shard very much so. I've met a few really helpful people, and with caution of course, I've avoided being pk'd..(although I really only have spent a few hours in places I may have seen one).

Few more questions. I noticed runebooks are not blessed, but I've seen someone with a blessed runebook...how does one go about blessing a runebook?

Just a curiousity thing, as I'm no where close to being able to buy a house...but...

How long do you have to refresh a house? 2 weeks is it? Is there any open spots for something as large as a tower? I ask this because from my long run from the delucia cave to Trinsic...and britain to shame etc that there didn't appear to be many open spots at the moment (obviously things collapse)

Also..a lot of collapses here? and if so usually a lot of fighting that goes on during a collapse, or just a free for all loot and recall asap?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Runebooks are not blessed. I don't think anyone here has a blessed runebook. If by blessed you mean that you can't steal it, then no, you cannot directly steal it, as it has 0 stone weight, and for some reason it won't let you direct steal it, however, you can steal it if you use "steal random target", but you need to get lucky.

There are spots out there for large housing. A tower might be pushing it a bit, but you should find spots for large bricks, and patio houses.

As far as IDOC's are concerned, there are quite a few, and some people have become increadibly wealthy from hunting them. The fighting going around them really depends on how well known the IDOC is. But for the better known ones, you can bet there has been fighting going on.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Bobcat Brown

Post by Bobcat Brown »

I saw a runebook in someones hands and I could have sworn it had [blessed] beside it.

Ok so you can't steal a runebook directly...but it is left on your corpse if you die right?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Yes they go on the corpse, and you can name runebooks, he probably named it "Something [blessed]"
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay