Trammel Events

Topics related to Second Age
Halbu

Re: Trammel Events

Post by Halbu »

Kaivan wrote:Really? Is this also a joke? Average player count on a daily basis has gone up (even before the seasonal players started showing up) since events were removed. This is exactly the kind of inconvenient point that is ignored.
Where are they? I pk/grief everywhere on this server with 3 other trackers. As far as I am concerned, this is a fictional statistic.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Fede 1+1 wrote:
Kaivan wrote:And you expect them to be back. Thus, you desire something that lies completely outside of mechanical accuracy.
Automated events existed on this shard for the majority of the life of the shard. In addition to that, my so called "desire" for these events to come back is a net figure of statements in IRC, posts from other gms, and the fact they did indeed exist during the peak times of this server.

Ponder on this, if events were outside of era accuracy, what took so long to get rid of them? Is this a result of inefficient era accurate research done on your end?
Your net figure of statements on IRC, posts from other GMs, and the time that it existed on the server are essentially irrelevant. Short of Derrick bringing them back because he wants to, the desires of any player or GM are entirely irrelevant to the discussion.

As for why it took so long for them to be removed, I can't say. Why is it that we still have housing issues that have persisted since day 1? Why is it that creature AI still doesn't work? Why is it that many other mechanical accuracies aren't fixed? Is this due to some "inefficient era accurate research done on my end"? No, not at all. For a large number of these things, we know how they worked, yet they aren't on the server. This is because of other factors, such as Derrick actually having a life outside of UOSA, and to place the blame squarely on my shoulders is to expose your narrow sighted view of the subject.
Fede 1+1 wrote:
Kaivan wrote:How is it irrational to not have automated events on a server designed for mechanical accuracy? This is exactly the kind of point that you have ignored, while pushing your position.
If you state it like that, it doesn't seem so irrational on the scoped in level. However, if you look at the bigger picture which I will describe briefly, then maybe you will come around. If the down right bottom line of the shard is to aim for mechanical accuracy, that's irrational. "We have 10 people playing here, but ol' be darn we got 100% T2A accuracy Derrick!" See the picture? Rationality surfaces when you have a mission statement that resembles "Maximum player base." Think about it. I will speak for myself, and probably many others that joined this shard during my time, but if I knew this shard was going down the path it is now 2 years ago, I would have never joined.
There it is again, the claim that removing events somehow damages the player population. On top of that, you've made a claim about how UOSA is supposed to work that isn't even true.

First off, UOSA's goal is to provide the most accurate mechanics possible, and you are again suggesting that mechanical accuracy will drive everyone away. This is a statement that is no more true than me telling you the winning lottery numbers for the next drawing, because that truth is not known. However, historically speaking, we have improved or maintained our player population by moving towards a more accurate server. Additionally, our vetted expectation for players retention is due to our impartial position on mechanics. This position gives players faith that they will not be left out in the cold, while other players have their desires heard for the system they believe is most important. As a result, it slices both ways, and events are on the bad end of the slice.

Second, the fact that you and several other players would not have joined the server had you known that we would be here today is entirely irrelevant. You cannot argue that position without recognizing that there are players that did not join, or did not stay, because we were not more like we are today. Your position ignores every other possible scenario in favor of your own.
Fede 1+1 wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Really? Is this also a joke? Average player count on a daily basis has gone up (even before the seasonal players started showing up) since events were removed. This is exactly the kind of inconvenient point that is ignored.
Where are they? I pk/grief everywhere on this server with 3 other trackers. As far as I am concerned, this is a fictional statistic.
The statistics are available on the main website, on joinuo, in-game, and on the forums. Unless you are suggesting that we are faking the numbers, our player population has been up (with the same ~1.7 client/IP ratio as well).
Fede 1+1 wrote:
Kaivan wrote:And we don't have tolerance for players who expect that they can trash talk others without consequence. Don't do it again.
I only state the obvious.

Now don't take this offensively, but you sucked me in on vent once in a 2 hour discussion on a work day, and I refuse to do it again.

Goodnight!
Calling others grossly offensive names in an indexed forum is not appropriate at any time. This is a simple rule, and you can either abide by it or stop using the forums.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Grimnir

Post by Grimnir »

I have to chuckle. TS wants others to submit shorter posts, yet writes a book.

Can you just give up the ghost already?

Trolling has been exposed.

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

hey,

fede is a ignorant buttface but

kaivan i have to say that i was always able to play with a handfull europeans from 9am-2am GMT when automated events were still hosted.

like one month later almost 80% of my european buddys were gone or mostly inactive, somehow even whole guilds like PKK, GA, Cash Money Bros or good guys like my brother Homie just as example.

now when i logg on at GMT and recall to wbb its like a ghost town except for the same 3-5 american ultra nerds who play 24/7.

so iam pretty sure that taking off events changed a lot here.

i for myself could only enjoy to play here over night now "2am+" with my american or canadian vet friends.

thats a fact.

bring back CTF, Survival, Monster Bash, Bag Ball and DD for group enjoyment and stop doing automated
trammel cage fights they could do ontop of there ego castle roof.

thats all, i hope you understood at least 50%
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Did they quit because the trammel events are gone or just because they moved on?
Im sure you will say because no events but a lot of people just move on or take breaks.

Arguing your position from the player base angle is just silly as the numbers show you to be wrong.You guys need to come up with a different argument,and even that wont really help as Derrick will re-instate them or leave them off because of what HE thinks,not anyone else playing the shard....

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

The population of a free shard typically cycles in and out. Its just the nature of free shards. Sure, the population hasn't gone down...as I did not expect it to go down, but I do have to wonder how many of those people that cycled out may have stuck around for events? How many of the current 'on the fence' crowd might not cycle out if they were re-introduced? How many would return for events if they heard they were back?

Personally, I think the events can stay gone, but I do wonder if bringing them back would help bolster the playerbase even more?

Trammel Events Are Kinda Lame, though. At the very least, they need to address that guild stacking issue in CTF if they bring them back.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Light Shade wrote: At the very least, they need to address that guild stacking issue in CTF if they bring them back.
Seriously.
I think this is most likely the cause behind the delay of bringing them back (if they are to come back at all). Not just the one issue of people leaving their alt accounts idle in CTF matches in hopes of bagging free silver, but the veritable laundry list of issues with all of the events.

There is no control panel with buttons to press to fix those issues. There's a tons of work to be done and if they are to come back in a fashion that's not so damn Trammel, it's probably double the tons of work.

Bring them all back but let the Leaderboards be the reward. Not 100k trophy nearly garaunteed to the guy with the sub-20ms ping.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Yuri
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Yuri »

I have to totally Agree with Fede

I have only had a chance to goto one event, which i must say was PACKED and REALLY Fun!
i made it to the Monster bash and found it to be a complete BLAST!!!

i've been looking forward for some time to do that again!

Please bring the events back!!!
Image Image Image Image

Watatsumi
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Watatsumi »

Yuri wrote:I have to totally Agree with Fede

I have only had a chance to goto one event, which i must say was PACKED and REALLY Fun!

Yes then everyone logged out and waited until the next event, leaving the people who played the field with no one to play with. I was ectatic when I came back to find events have be indefinitely postponed, and will be even happier to hear they are never coming back.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Possible era-accurate solution?:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37751
(a solution that I believe hasn't gotten enough attention considering that this event banter comes up so very often)
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Yuri wrote:I have to totally Agree with Fede

You know, I only attended a handful of vs tourneys and some various CTF/Monster Bash, and yes, they were fun. The problem is that, as has been stated, far too many people aren't logging on to play in the 'real world' outside of the event arenas.

If you haven't attended any of the various player or player+staff events that have happened since the auto-events were disabled, then perhaps you're missing where the best fun is at. There was a multiple of thrill involved in breaking out my best gear to go to battle where you have to trust in others and band together to accomplish something.....because if you don't, there's something to lose.
The only thing I ever lost in auto-events was time. I sucked hella bad and yet, I've made a significant amount of silver and trophies here and there. I don't care to amass silver so I sell it off and only keep trophies I like for deco. I do wish I could potentially access some things purchased only with silver, but I can live without it too.

I just want to have fun in the game world where we're all at risk of loss with potential for gain of not only lewts, but the rush of the danger, however virtual it may be. :)

Trammel events you can literally fall asleep and lose nothing but time.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Fede 1+1

Post by Fede 1+1 »

BlaiseDad wrote: I just want to have fun in the game world where we're all at risk of loss with potential for gain of not only lewts, but the rush of the danger, however virtual it may be.
When you join an event and don't win, you lose time and sometimes resources depending on the event you join. Needless to say you don't get silver either.

You could have used that time and your resources and go hunt somewhere and were guaranteed to make gold. Also, if you decide to hunt during the time of an event, you can bet that the amount of pks would have been mitigated due to their participation in the event.

Basically, you can take the risk and win silver in an event or not. Or you can go farm during the event time and make gold in a safer environment than usual.

Kaivan, I am kicking myself in the butt for going back and forth with you. The only troll present in this forum is you. The irrationality you carry with yourself is depressing.

For those who were actually awaiting for an answer, Derrick hasn't PM'd me back.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

I'm all for instanced events, but it would be cool to see them in the actual game world, not in Trammel.

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

Ragancy wrote:I'm all for instanced events, but it would be cool to see them in the actual game world, not in Trammel.
This.
Special Projects Minion.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Fede 1+1 wrote:
BlaiseDad wrote: I just want to have fun in the game world where we're all at risk of loss with potential for gain of not only lewts, but the rush of the danger, however virtual it may be.
When you join an event and don't win, you lose time
I'm guessing you never had anyone tell you that the fun of the game is PLAYING it. Winning is just a bonus.

Maybe that's the problem. Not enough to gloat about for you in Player Run events?

By the time I've started playing any event, I've already won because I'm there having fun, likely with friends.
Guess that's why I don't care much about rewards......I've already reaped them from the start.

However, I can say that the thrill was always significantly decreased in Trammel Events because I knew I could pack my best stuff and have no chance of losing it. Fun in it's own way, but more silly and less 'omg, I CAN'T die right now' exciting. :)

To each their own. Just don't try to sway me with the Care Bear Stare.
Est Sularus oth Mithas