Horses in the wild

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Horses in the wild

Post by Kaivan »

Jaster wrote:Just because something is listed with a tameable skill doesn't mean it spawned as well. Keep that in mind. Horses can go untamed that are purchased from a stable master and they have to be able to be retamed.
Not exactly. The information from the archived taming guide specifically notes that during 1999, animals that were released or went feral had a zero re-tame value. As such, the only way for tamers to determine the value that was required to tame a horse they had to find a horse in the wild to tame.
Jaster wrote:Tamers Guide really doesn't exist until 2000 (which doesn't specifically list horses as an animal used for skill gain), and then in 2001 (it shows them in the mid 30s range?) ... by 2001, we are out of T2A, and even that page for 2000 is from November I believe, which is also after T2A.
There are taming guides from 1999, however the problem is that the guides themselves are producing bad links at the moment. The archives tend to do this from time to time, and we may see the guides available at some point. However, beyond that point, if you actually read the guide and compare the methods and procedures that it talks about with patch note information as well as the information from www.tamingarchive.com, it is clear that while the guide's physical archival is from some 2000, the information contained within the guide quite clearly discusses taming during 1999. Finally, if you take a look at the guide, the guide does indeed specifically mention horses as some of the recommended tames in the 50's. Since we know the information contained within the guide is from 1999, the only thing that can be assumed is that horses were among the things that could be tamed during T2A.
Jaster wrote:The reason the 1999 Hunter's Guide is different than the others is because of this line in particular ...

National Velvet this is not. Beasts of burden in every sense of the term. UnFortunately they do not appear in the wild, because they tend to be rather expensive.

That under horses ... some may argue thats for pack horses only, but it is not specific. It shows pictures of regular horses with this line near them.

That would undoubtedly lead me to believe that they didn't spawn.
This would not be the first time that the Stratics archives clashes with other information. The reality is that regardless of the description that is associated with the horses and pack horses during 1999, Stratics maintains that all the way until 2002, the locations for finding horses were only at stables, despite the fact that numerous bodies of information show that horses did indeed spawn in the wild far beforehand.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Horses did not spawn on the mainland during this era. However, having said that, I like having horses spawn :).

Crown_Royale

Post by Crown_Royale »

It's been many years since I left Ultima Online. I began playing the game in late 1999 and purchased an Ultima Online strategy guide to read before carefully selecting a character class. I am 99% positive that horses did indeed spawn on mainland Britania. I purchased the Prima guide from 1999. Within the taming section it specifically gave the taming requirements for horses spawning in the wild. As several other posters have stated, This is also my original form of income when I first began playing. I'm trying my best to find the book deep within the depths of my basement, but bear with me... that was almost 10 years ago.

Cheers!

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Crown_Royale wrote:It's been many years since I left Ultima Online. I began playing the game in late 1999 and purchased an Ultima Online strategy guide to read before carefully selecting a character class. I am 99% positive that horses did indeed spawn on mainland Britania. I purchased the Prima guide from 1999. Within the taming section it specifically gave the taming requirements for horses spawning in the wild. As several other posters have stated, This is also my original form of income when I first began playing. I'm trying my best to find the book deep within the depths of my basement, but bear with me... that was almost 10 years ago.

Cheers!
T2A was released when you started, and horses did spawn in the wild .... but only in T2A, not the old lands.

Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

Crown_Royale wrote:It's been many years since I left Ultima Online. I began playing the game in late 1999 and purchased an Ultima Online strategy guide to read before carefully selecting a character class. I am 99% positive that horses did indeed spawn on mainland Britania. I purchased the Prima guide from 1999. Within the taming section it specifically gave the taming requirements for horses spawning in the wild. As several other posters have stated, This is also my original form of income when I first began playing. I'm trying my best to find the book deep within the depths of my basement, but bear with me... that was almost 10 years ago.

Cheers!

I believe somewhere it says somthing about horses being believed to be extinct. I had that guide as well that was a looong time ago :)

Jaded Gamer

Post by Jaded Gamer »

During even the early t2a period there were horse spawns near Delucia, to the east and north on the Buttes, and especially on the small island to the ne of the town, which was so certain to have horses spawned on it that we used to call it Horse Island on Baja.

I also remember seeing untamed horses in the farmlands outside of Britain, as well as outside of Trinsic, but it is difficult to say if they were spawned or if they were previously tamed ones that had gone wild. I have noticed that on this server mounts don't seem to ever go wild or need feeding, but on the live servers of that era you had to keep your mount fed or it would buck you off and go wild, so there were always horses wandering around populated areas.

keijar

Post by keijar »

There was indeed an island near trinsic that had a horse spawn in '99 at least...can't remember if it was there in '98...remember reading that it was loosely based on the wild horses found on georgia's barrier islands.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Kaivan wrote:
P.S. Many of you will undoubtedly be interested in the zero re-tame functionality. I have already discussed this with Derrick, and in the future we will be almost certainly be making some changes to the way that taming works. Just give us some time to compile the necessary information and pin down the specifics of how particular mechanics worked at the time.
I know that I had been given mares on my tank mage using the zero re-tame method. I had to feed it alot and if I gave it any orders it would instantly go wild.

but if I kept it fed i could ride it around :P

It would be interesting to look at this :P

Draven

Post by Draven »

Thought I would jump in real quick, as I just happen to have a copy of Prima's 'UO The Second Age' strategy guide handy. Seems I paid 19.99 for it back in '99. What a bargain.....

Besides basic stats (45 to tame, likes farms and towns), this is what I have found in the guide pertaining to horses thus far: On page 37 under the "Hints" section: Horses. The barrier island off the coast of Trinsic is based in part on the American island of Chincoteague. If you want to tame a wild horse, it's a good place to visit.

I played UO (Napa) from early 1999 until 2007. I remember seeing horses for sale during the second age, mainly at the bank, and if I remember right they were rather spendy. I can recall getting really angry at a guy during this time frame for killing a horse that had gone wild near Brit bank.

I will continue to comb through the guide (300 pages total) and if I find anything else I will make sure to post it.

On a side note, This is by far the best free shard I have found yet, and look forward to making it my new home.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

there is obviously one of 2 things going on here.

A. either SOME shards did not have horse spawns on the mainland and some did have them (i know 100% positive chesapeake had them, see my previous posts).

B. you people saying horses did not spawn in the mainlands are retards.

im willing to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and say that its possible some shards did not have horse spawns in the main lands. but i am more then positive that the server i played on definatly did.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I played chessie as well which is possibly why i was so sure horses spawned everywhere myself