A programme to ensure we are all playing the same game.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Pirul

Re: A programme to ensure we are all playing the same game.

Post by Pirul »

I am glad it won't happen.

Thanks for clearing that up Kaivan.

testuseraccount, feel free to carry-on with your discourse.

(Kaivan, I suggest you spend your time on things that might actually make it in-game one day, this is a waste of time)
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

FishinPro wrote:Who wants to play where you have to actually double click on potions to drink them...oh how fun pvp would be then!!!
Me.
If they could restrict the shard to client only, I would be stoked.

It will never happen, so breathe will not be held for a such a nerdream.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Am I missing something here, Kaivan?

Pretty much every single other online game has similar programs which do the exact same thing that OP is proposing. They work and it would be silly to think that something someone voluntarily downloads (and knows what they're downloading) would be illegal.

It's my understanding that what you've outlined has never really been the issue here when discussing this matter, but rather that Derrick wouldn't want to force people to conform to using a specific software to connect rather than the many options they have now, aside from how difficult and time consuming it may be to create such a program.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Hemperor wrote:Am I missing something here, Kaivan?

Pretty much every single other online game has similar programs which do the exact same thing that OP is proposing. They work and it would be silly to think that something someone voluntarily downloads (and knows what they're downloading) would be illegal.

It's my understanding that what you've outlined has never really been the issue here when discussing this matter, but rather that Derrick wouldn't want to force people to conform to using a specific software to connect rather than the many options they have now, aside from how difficult and time consuming it may be to create such a program.
What other programs prevent you from launching any other type of program on your computer while it's running? In case you missed what was suggested:
testuseraccount wrote:This means, these things are possible:
- Not allowing IRC/IM/Voice programmes.
- Force closing web browsers.
- Closing keyboard macro programmes (like autohotkey).
- Closing video capture programmes.

We can basically just close all user programmes upon load, and then prevent any new ones other then the accepted UO exe to run (this can be negotiated with Derrick's shard).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Doh! I'm having a stupid day, sorry Kaivan... I thought he was proposing something to prevent Razor, EUO and the like... That's what I get for reading (assuming) while at work...

Sorry, can't argue for your side OP, it's pretty ridiculous and not era accurate. There was plenty of voice chat and IRC in the day, not that there is any way of preventing people from communicating outside of the client.

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by testuseraccount »

Hemperor: Yes, that is what I am proposing.

Kaivan don't confuse the message with what you want to see of it.

The things are listed, are possible; and yes: In the context of the game they are cheating, why? Because they were never put into the game in the first place.

To play a game by the rules is to properly follow its outlined design and intended rules at the time of play: This applies to monopoly, or backgammon or chess or pong or whatever.

You can never refute that, no matter how delusional you wish to be.

And by the very nature of a sandbox programme, unless it be an actual VM; which requires a completely higher level of design and implement, it can be detected and prevented from being loaded. Why? Because of the very nature of a sandbox, which is meant to limit *something* and the fact that it is inherently attached to an O/s (not a VM) means that; CAN NOT be hidden in any form or fashion.

PS: Hemp, there was never anything stopping anyone from coming over to your house (if they knew you) and kicking you in the butt, either ;-)

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

we once had a guy with similar ideas in germany...
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

testuseraccount wrote:Hemperor: Yes, that is what I am proposing.

Kaivan don't confuse the message with what you want to see of it.

The things are listed, are possible; and yes: In the context of the game they are cheating, why? Because they were never put into the game in the first place.

To play a game by the rules is to properly follow its outlined design and intended rules at the time of play: This applies to monopoly, or backgammon or chess or pong or whatever.

You can never refute that, no matter how delusional you wish to be.
You'd have to be delusional to even think for a second that it's possible to prevent people communicating in IRC and over VOIP.
And by the very nature of a sandbox programme, unless it be an actual VM; which requires a completely higher level of design and implement, it can be detected and prevented from being loaded. Why? Because of the very nature of a sandbox, which is meant to limit *something* and the fact that it is inherently attached to an O/s (not a VM) means that; CAN NOT be hidden in any form or fashion.
What would your program be searching for? MSN, ICQ, AIM, the custom TCP application I just made in 5 minutes that can send messages back and forth?
PS: Hemp, there was never anything stopping anyone from coming over to your house (if they knew you) and kicking you in the butt, either ;-)
What?

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Thats nice arsen; i'd say its more that he had some awsome ideas but crappy means, but Germany is smart and learns! So instead this time they are conquering europe with economics and eugenics :D (Instead of death and destruction)

Hemperor, Its not delusional, but if someone buys a second computer or another device just to do so, then i'd say they are pretty far down that stream themselves and little anyone can do will stop them.

The point is hemp, is that it would stop all other programs from existing in the user space, in other words; that hacky program you made wouldn't be allowed to run for longer then the time it takes for this program to detect it (nano-seconds?).

What im saying, is that every layer of the human experience has inherent rules and if you had a friend who broke those, he probably wouldn't be a friend anymore (unless you were less then worldly as a person). Games are just another layer of that and they come with rules inside the packaging...
Last edited by testuseraccount on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

testuseraccount wrote:Thats nice arsen; i'd say its more that he had some awsome ideas but crappy means, but Germany is smart and learns! So instead this time they are conquering europe with economics and eugenics :D

Hemperor, Its not delusional, but if someone buys a second computer or another device just to do so, then i'd say they are pretty far down that stream themselves and little anyone can do will stop them.

The point is hemp, is that it would stop all other programs from existing in the user space, in other words; that hacky program you made wouldn't be allowed to run for longer then the time it takes for this program to detect it (nano-seconds?).
My point is that you couldn't possibly detect it. Are you aware of how many services and programs at any given time have network sockets running? How would you know my tiny app (which literally would take 5 minutes) is for communicating outside of the UO client? You would have no way possible.
What im saying, is that every layer of the human experience has inherent rules and if you had a friend who broke those, he probably wouldn't be a friend anymore (unless you were less then worldly as a person). Games are just another layer of that and they come with rules inside the packaging...
I understand what you are saying, however this is not a board game and it's not realistic or pratical to think we could ever prevent it.

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Hemp, yes; you can detect it, very easily infact; thats what I was saying about "whitelisting" and not "blacklisting". Basically you create a virtual "sandbox" by forcing all other user programs but this one to close and then every so interval you check for any new processes and forcefully close them.

If user space isn't enough, we can get it to run as admin to have control over services as well, in which that case we would just need a whistlist of services, because Windows can run without alot of its own default ones let alone additional.

Why do you think consoles are continuosly popular? It is because its harder to cheat because the game most of the time is the actual O/S (or has one built in). Closed systems always provide a better experience because it helps to assure that everyone is experiencing the same experience and not a multitude of perverted/differenciated ones (assuring fairness).

It is entirely practical; that's what im trying to say.
Last edited by testuseraccount on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Not to be rude, but Derrick wouldn't even require people to use Razor so that they could use the "Negotiate Features With Server Option" to enforce ERA ACCURACY.

It was considered to be blocking potential players from playing on the shard.

If you think he's going to go about 32 steps beyond that, then you're seriously fooling yourself.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

testuseraccount
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Well; then I am Light Shade....

I am simply representing a deep desire of Derrick's.

If he wishes to say otherwise, he can; but until then I will assume this course because I know it's whats best for the shard.

Moppety

Post by Moppety »

Autistic troll is autistic

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

testuseraccount wrote:I am simply representing a deep desire of Derrick's.

If he wishes to say otherwise, he can; but until then I will assume this course because I know it's whats best for the shard.
RRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay