Strength: ArmsLore, Herd, Camp, Fish, did NOT raise str.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Eaglestaff

Strength: ArmsLore, Herd, Camp, Fish, did NOT raise str.

Post by Eaglestaff »

I remember how coveted strength was on OSI. It was very hard to get Strength. None of the strength-based skills that could be macroed unatended or be checked rapidly like camping and herding actually raised strength. I think it was along with the Archery patch that they also made it so arms lore didnt raise str.

When I first rolled up my 50 magery/50 resis tank on Great Lakes the first thing I did was start beating on training dummies in the Vesper Warrior guild with wrestle, swrds, mace and fence. That would yield a little strength that would help in the next phase of building my PvP char. Next it was off Minoc and start mining. I did not do this because I was building a blacksmith, I made tear kite shields because they gave the best return of gold per ignot and all I wanted was money to train magery. I and many others were mining and lumberjacking simply for strength raises.

I seem to remeber I was almost a GM Miner before I reached 90ish strength on OSI. My miner here attained 100 strength just by getting to 95 mining. (i didnt even use armslore/herd/camp)

Not only were you not able to get strength from easy skills to macro like arms lore, but the rate at which strength went up was very very slow. It was many times slower than dex and int. 95 plus strength raises absolutley crawled.

On OSI you would would have alot of mining or lumberjacking not on your mule character but on your main pvp char just to ditch it later for pvp skills. You were just doing it for strength and a little money for reagents.

When they added skill locking It may have made things a bit easier because i suppose you would be able to specifically lower mace, tax, swrds, fence, and wrestle, then retrain them on dummies for strength gains you macro through the night.

Also, I dont think fishing is suppsoed to be a strength absed skill. In the T2a manuel (Yes I still have the one that was shipped w my T2a disk) it is listed as a 100% skill based skill yet it is rasing all 3 stats here.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Strength: ArmsLore, Herd, Camp, Fish, did NOT raise str.

Post by RoadKill »

Fishing has always been a strength based skill. I remember pre-T2A fishing on a bridge in Vesper crossing my fingers to gain strength.

Stats have been a joke to raise on standard OSI servers after the release of skill locks. I thought we recently got a patch that made it harder to do this unattended/forcing people to seesaw like the old days.

Your stories remember me of pre-T2A, when 60 strength (the ability to wear full platemail) was something that took effort (or bugs) to achieve. Pretty much by T2A the only people who didn't understand the ins and outs of easy stat gain were the new guys starting up.

+1 for keeping the old manual by the way. I have both the original and the T2A guides, original game disc and map. I lost my UO pin years ago though :(
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i can tell you with 100% confidence that herding AND arms lore definatly raised STR during t2a on OSI. those were the only 2 methods i ever used back then to get STR on my chars. i cant say for sure on the other skills cuz iv never really used them. Herding and Armslore are definatly accurate for fast STR gains though.

and as i remember it, INT was always the hardest stat to gain on OSI, not STR. I could get 100 STR and 100 DEX on OSI in about 2-3 days tops.

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

You use to be able to get to 100 str in a night or at most two macroing last object on a training dummy

I remember my brother's real life friend figuring this out and it was always the first thing done on all my characters

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

bigcheez wrote:You use to be able to get to 100 str in a night or at most two macroing last object on a training dummy

I remember my brother's real life friend figuring this out and it was always the first thing done on all my characters

You were only supposed to be able to gain stats when skills raised so once the 33 max gains you could get off a dummie was reached you wouldn't be able to get any more stat gains. Also it seems on this shard you can gain stats simply by using a related skill even if there was no skill raise.

Barkoviak

Post by Barkoviak »

I have always thought that the best way to raise all 3 stats up is with camping. It takes a little game interaction which I just know people so hate these days.....

Use a dagger and get kindling on every tree until your burderned then dble tap the kindling set last object hot key and mash button. Repeat an hour and all 3 stats will increase a bit, guarenteed!

Cutpurse

Post by Cutpurse »

Camping and Herding raised all stats. That's how I made my orcs on Catskills.