Why a few can spoil it for the many (rares)

Topics related to Second Age
Galendae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Why a few can spoil it for the many (rares)

Post by Galendae »

Rare hunters come and go (except Rammar, he is a constant). Gleep Glop and myself are on and off again, yet we just recall in and bounce out, we don't run macros. The current batch of new hunters will lose out to the more experienced (Rammar) and they will eventually move on. This scenario has played out many times, just like this.

New people starting out like the OP, usually get frustrated and whine in forums. When they find out the admin won't change the rules to favor them, they move on.

Good bye OP, we hardly knew ya;)

Thanks
Galendae

PS Lightshade and his boys are really good at rares too. They just are not as persistent as Rammar. Lightshade(my guess) posted a Rares synopsis awhile ago. He even posted the synopsis under one of my character's name to deflect and criticism for leaking the valuable info. Do a forum search for Alcibiades-Hay and you will find the post. Alcibiades is my character, I never did the post though.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Galendae wrote:PS Lightshade and his boys are really good at rares too. They just are not as persistent as Rammar. Lightshade(my guess) posted a Rares synopsis awhile ago. He even posted the synopsis under one of my character's name to deflect and criticism for leaking the valuable info. Do a forum search for Alcibiades-Hay and you will find the post. Alcibiades is my character, I never did the post though.
I used to hunt rares with Rammar, but chose to leave the group when a Rare Gatherer tried squeezing me for cash ( I had coded them a website to keep track of everything for them ). It also became apparent to me at that time that the same Rare Gatherer who was trying to squeeze me for cash was using EUO and Rammar chose that member over me when I said either he goes or I go. As far as how I know whether the player was using EUO or not...I walked into his office in real life and saw him doing it. Pretty cut and dry. Anywho, he doesn't even play UOSA anymore as far as I know....or hides it, so it hardly matters, but that's what really happened. I told Derrick about it at the time. That was all way back in 2011 now!!!

I recall around to a few of the spots on average once every 1-2 months these days. I'm not a fan of AFK'ing anything, though, as I know how detrimental it is to the health of the shard.

I certainly did write that rares guide and was asking Derrick's opinion on releasing it wide-scale when someone else leaked it. I have figured out who that person is and it actually surprised even me.
Draegon wrote:People do have the rare spawns down to a science with chars who login around that time, sit there with a simple razor UO drag and drop macro, recall out or just stay hidden and log out there. I killed a gentleman when I was heavily playing (2-3 times a week) a few years ago. This man was near a certain rare spawn and when I killed his AFK Char who was waiting for a certain item to spawn and his client to detect it, pick it up and drag it into his bag. I got nearly 35+ of that same rare and it was a nice one to :)
There's no secret to rares and there hasn't been for quite some time. Myself, i've known all about them since they started spawning here. I've had a few people "explain" it to me over the years, but I just played dumb and let them explain what I already knew. Sometimes I even helped fix a few of their misconceptions quietly, but mostly just let them have their moment in the sun.

Anywho, what i'm getting at is this... If you want to camp rares just like them, there's a freaking guide that tells you how to do it...

UOSA Rares Guide

Granted, I feel that AFK'ing the game ( ie. removing player interaction ) is the most ruinsome thing for the health of the shard, but if the staff allows it, so be it. To me, its kind of like our "connected" world sitting in a room together and silent while they all stare at their smart phones not realizing how disconnected they really are with everything. ;)
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Wiegraf

Post by Wiegraf »

Interesting that everything else here is held to be era accurate but the rare spawn is deliberately some kind of custom system. Not that I care. =]
"If by our deaths a single drop of noble blood should water the earth, they shall not be in vain."

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Light Shade wrote:I used to hunt rares with Rammar, but chose to leave the group when a Rare Gatherer tried squeezing me for cash ( I had coded them a website to keep track of everything for them ). It also became apparent to me at that time that the same Rare Gatherer who was trying to squeeze me for cash was using EUO and Rammar chose that member over me when I said either he goes or I go. As far as how I know whether the player was using EUO or not...I walked into his office in real life and saw him doing it. Pretty cut and dry. Anywho, he doesn't even play UOSA anymore as far as I know....or hides it, so it hardly matters, but that's what really happened. I told Derrick about it at the time. That was all way back in 2011 now!!!
Well that story has certainly... evolved. Here I always thought it was because he harassed you non-stop about using your dad's old accounts and the newer "Sexy Smithy" ones you made to get more rares for yourself. Which, funny enough, I didn't even try verifying until after you quit. Notwithstanding, really can't say I made the wrong decision given how you've behaved since, even if he has since largely quit. The one thing I asked your word on when I recruited you, you broke within a week of going emo with that ridiculously juvenile ultimatum and quitting, even if you briefly tried to hide it. And we both well know I'm not the only one you tried screwing over that had nothing to do with your guys' drama.

Anyhow, since you seem so dedicated to upstanding playership now, you should really ask Derrick to terminate those extraneous accounts for you. It might help you resist the temptation.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

I've been rare hunting on this server for over a year, the old fashioned way, recalling from Spot to Spot.
While AFK bots exist and yes, almost make it impossible to grab some rares (Shackles and Hanging armor come to mind). I do try to disrupt them as much as I can so at least they have to come back and check every now and then.

That said, I have still managed to acquire the majority of level 1 - 3 rares just by doing it the old fashioned way, even today I got myself a decent one.

Even the AFK bots can only be in so many places at the same time and of course if you grab something they think they have timed you can really mess with the system.
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Rammar wrote:
Light Shade wrote:I used to hunt rares with Rammar, but chose to leave the group when a Rare Gatherer tried squeezing me for cash ( I had coded them a website to keep track of everything for them ). It also became apparent to me at that time that the same Rare Gatherer who was trying to squeeze me for cash was using EUO and Rammar chose that member over me when I said either he goes or I go. As far as how I know whether the player was using EUO or not...I walked into his office in real life and saw him doing it. Pretty cut and dry. Anywho, he doesn't even play UOSA anymore as far as I know....or hides it, so it hardly matters, but that's what really happened. I told Derrick about it at the time. That was all way back in 2011 now!!!
Well that story has certainly... evolved. Here I always thought it was because he harassed you non-stop about using your dad's old accounts and the newer "Sexy Smithy" ones you made to get more rares for yourself. Which, funny enough, I didn't even try verifying until after you quit. Notwithstanding, really can't say I made the wrong decision given how you've behaved since, even if he has since largely quit. The one thing I asked your word on when I recruited you, you broke within a week of going emo with that ridiculously juvenile ultimatum and quitting, even if you briefly tried to hide it. And we both well know I'm not the only one you tried screwing over that had nothing to do with your guys' drama.

Anyhow, since you seem so dedicated to upstanding playership now, you should really ask Derrick to terminate those extraneous accounts for you. It might help you resist the temptation.
Rammar, i'm not sure that anything you just said is even remotely true.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I honestly and candidly wish I was as dedicated to something in life as much as some of you guys are to your Razor macros and UOSA pixels.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Lightshade has a sweet fire pit he made irl among other things.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

WiseOne wrote:Lightshade has a sweet fire pit he made irl among other things.
Real Life Projects! That's all I do these days it seems. Working on some excavation/dredging these days. :D