What can we do to help get the population back up?

Topics related to Second Age
Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: What can we do to help get the population back up?

Post by Roser »

You say that now.... but when the attention comes rolling in, you might change your mind.

Ok, another idea. Derrick should create a Tab on the homepage called "Ladies of UOSA" where all the ladies can create a profile w/pic and post a bio!

Women will sell this game! C'mon now ladies do it for the community! We all love you!

Oh and check this out...

www.imbachicks.com

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

i personally pass on having a bunch of old men and young dirtbags(yes we all know there around on this game not talkign bout the few good people around) perving on the view of me on a cam playing the game:P so if you wanna make a ladies page with pics and bio's you might as well grab random normal looking girls from google and make up a bio that will have the same effect. cuz who is to say someone here submits a real picture and real bio.
also don't wanna have a jealous boyfriend haha:P

Fair play to any of my fellow uo playing girls willing to tho!

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Well... Hopefully there are some ladies out there that want to try this. Twitch will also pay you if you get lots of followers!

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

i'm all for ladies of UOSA. what ever happened to that real sexy DK noob chic??? damnit what was her name. akari i think? she's a legit 10 imo

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

Babes of UOSA: The Calender

11 Months of Sexy Female Wizards.. And Ian!
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Kye Smogg

Post by Kye Smogg »

I think right now perhaps the better question to ask is how to stop the decline of players, not gaining new ones.

I know this is going to upset some of the "vets" and I'll get flamed all to hell, but I feel it's the truth.

As another poster laid out, a large part of the active community is a pretty miserable bunch. There's a lot of entitlement among the "vets":

- they've accumulated their wealth
- they've been here a long time
- they're active and vocal on the forums
- the "status" they've gained gives them a sense of belonging

For many of these players, they also have a lot of free time on their hands. There's only so much PVM you can tolerate on a server that's never going to see a new content update. What's left but to become murderers? At least then your opponent is somewhat dynamic and a bit more of a challenge compared to some Ettin humping a wall in Wrong.

So how does this impact the population decline? Newer players who pick up on this elitist core of players and encounter murderers at every corner are not going to want to invest the time when there is nothing but frustration at every corner. It's noble that the "new player guilds" do what they can to help, but they can't hide the community that ultimately awaits them.

Call it griefing, being a douche, or just being a PK. Yes, it might be part of the game but it also ruins the experience for many. I personally don't understand the appeal of killing people who aren't prepared to fight back, but I'll go along with it and toss out the "omg that's part of the game, carebear" and move on.

This server could be great, the concept is great, but the main "core" of players here are far from great. That alone is killing the population growth.

How to fix this? That's the million dollar question. But the problem isn't "summer", people can keep telling themselves that but it'll be interesting to hear if we're going to be blaming winter around December when there is no change.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

One more suggestion from ole Roser.

I think we need to do away with the silver system completely and implement a gold based reward system. Everything offered in CuB should be purchase-able for Epic amounts of gold. This gives people a sort of end game incentive that is at least more pseudo era accurate then the current silver system and is sort of aligned with CuB... Clean up the Gold..
Last edited by Roser on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

i like that. also means new players have more chance to get these items if they dont need to hope and pray the vets are willing to sell silver

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

I still don't understand why Automatic events weren't just reduced to once a month or something. Completely removing all that fine scripting seemed wasteful to me...
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

if people could be enticed back with gold then they wouldn't let their shit idoc/give it away in the first place
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

The oOo

Post by The oOo »

My $0.02

This shard exemplifies T2a-era accuracy...the staff have obviously worked to great lengths in achieving this end, and for the most part it would seem, the shard is "there", mechanically, and we can expect very few changes from this point on....

The staff here seem content in having met these goals and yet, the most glaringly NON era accurate aspect of this shard, if its intent is to be truly era-accurate, is it's lack of in-game community.

IMO, MUCH too much of the in-game community and interaction has been co-opted by the use of the forums as a PRIMARY form of communication and interaction.

Virtually all dealing & trades take place out of game and in the forums/irc and it shouldn't be underestimated the amount of people who are turned off by being forced into this form of communication...it's like breaking character in a RP sense. Of course there was web-based communication & trade back in the day, but there was also a strong trade/community, centered mainly around Brit Bank, that provided a reliable in-game source for interaction as well, and that is where the new players are...in-game.

The banks here are silent macro centers with the occasional running pvp battle and the trapped-box boys, and little else. There are no Tradesmen hawking wares and providing conversation & information to new players. These things breed communication, which breeds community, and friendships, enemies and all that was era-accurate once before. The community here is not at all era accurate, irregardless of population size, and I'm not so sure it's the staff's job to fix it...
oOOoOoo Ooo Oo OOoOoo oOo

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I resent that oOo. I have given countless hours talking down to people and providing them information about their inferiority on the West Britain Bank rooftop.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

DrFaustus wrote:I still don't understand why Automatic events weren't just reduced to once a month or something. Completely removing all that fine scripting seemed wasteful to me...
This. I still don't get it either. It was so unique and had such a great system of keeping track. Its still a shame because this made the server so much better. Tired of beating a dead horse but I don't see why if 90% of the community wants them, just give em back pweaze
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Talk with the new people when you see them, get to know them a lil. Take them out on hunts. That way we get less posts like Timelords post. He been here a month and hardly anyone took time to talk to him! Most people play because they made friends here, rather than omg i got 1 mil, now I got to stay!
Shop at Stop&Shop in Yew. We restock daily!

Selling bulk boards and ingots. PM me over forums or in IRC.

Are you new on server? Check our site out: http://uonew.cephcom.net

Still Standing

Post by Still Standing »

Get rid of that Hazy guy.
[09:24] <@Derrick> If you donate, and you need to get bailed out of Jail in Penobscot County, Maine in the next year, I'll come get you personally.

[19:35] <Owned_By_A_Girl> No, the doctor poked me too hard.(Along with half the shard)