Server Tired

Topics related to Second Age
montier

Re: Server Dead

Post by montier »

montier wrote:Question.. To facilitate Dungeon crawls for PVM what if:

Lord British were to order guards to accompany the dugneon crawlers to a dungeon to help "clean up" the vermin?

This would still allow griefers to grief.. but make it more challenging for the griefer.. should be more fun for both sides..

Would this be something that would be era accurate? Did the guards ever venture out of town to protect the populace?

I would like to pose this question to Kaivan or Boomland...

Off hand, without research.. Do you know of any instances where the guards ventured outside of town during our era?

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Oh! Wellll, if all 5 of you guys have to agree on it, it'll never be done. I have a feeling ole Kaivan at least will see to that.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to let players leave the main world for an hour, anyway. It helps overall activity IN the main world, it doesn't modify the mechanics of the main world, it'll boost the economy in the main world, and it'll give us neat things to peruse on the website.

Unfortunately, it seems like we've come to a point where if AEs were allowed to return, certain members of the high council of five would get their feelings hurt. It's sad that is come to this point, because certainly nothing will get done. If the slate of personal investment for/against AEs could be wiped clean, the obvious fact that AEs miiiiinimally (if at all) hurt era accuracy would be glaringly obvious .
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Whitley
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Whitley »

One thing I'm not sure we've heard from the staff here…

Do you (individually or collectively) believe the low population is actually a problem? If so, what ideas are currently in consideration to fix it?

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Abyz wrote:Oh! Wellll, if all 5 of you guys have to agree on it, it'll never be done. I have a feeling ole Kaivan at least will see to that.

I don't see why it's such a big deal to let players leave the main world for an hour, anyway. It helps overall activity IN the main world, it doesn't modify the mechanics of the main world, it'll boost the economy in the main world, and it'll give us neat things to peruse on the website.

Unfortunately, it seems like we've come to a point where if AEs were allowed to return, certain members of the high council of five would get their feelings hurt. It's sad that is come to this point, because certainly nothing will get done. If the slate of personal investment for/against AEs could be wiped clean, the obvious fact that AEs miiiiinimally (if at all) hurt era accuracy would be glaringly obvious .

Truth is a few players bitched hard enough n got what they wanted even though 99% of em don't even play here anymore and90% of the pop wanted the events to stay. Whether they say that's truth or not.... It is.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Teriyl wrote:Pretty low hopes for this piece of shit to stay floating guys...I give it 8 months
Longer than most of the one hit wonder shards out there. I'd take that as a compliment.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Teriyl

Post by Teriyl »

Agreed. I have no intention to play anywhere else because I like it here so much. Just frustrating to see a lot of talk and no action. As others have said if it takes the ok from 5 people for whom this is a part time thing....nothing is going to happen.
Last edited by Teriyl on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

If this server ever goes down ill give my true opinion but until then, there's 1 huge reason this server has gone down the shitter and if you just look at the timeline and see the big change of when it started to decline you'll see what that reason is. It has nothing to do with events or houses or pks.
But, do some investigating, its easy to see why.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Removal of "all kill" ran people off. (mixed with the slowing of npc pets)
Changes to bandage cutting ran more people off.
People got banned for cheating and started their own shards (took their friends with them)
Randomly disappearing stabled pets. 100s of mares deleted a day after refreshing. (still seems to pop up)
The addition of certain pvp mechanics that allowed for insta kill with halbards.

Non mechanical reasons:

In the past, staff were losing interest, and most of the time, they relegated their jobs to people in irc and forums. It would take days or a week to get a reply sometimes. This ran off new players with issues that players couldn't help solve.

General hopelessness. Some players brought up concerns about certain aspects that they liked, only to be shot down and offered nothing to keep their hopes up that "something" would be coming to fill the void.

The player base for the last 2 years (the people who spend a ton of time on irc and forums) are poisonous. I quit for a while because of this. I popped in to ask a "certain" staff member if things were getting any better. The answer was "probably worse".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

ill start to play maybe in 3month with a bunch of germans.
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

GuardianKnight wrote:Removal of "all kill" ran people off. (mixed with the slowing of npc pets)
People got banned for cheating and started their own shards (took their friends with them)
Randomly disappearing stabled pets. 100s of mares deleted a day after refreshing. (still seems to pop up)
The addition of certain pvp mechanics that allowed for insta kill with halbards.

Non mechanical reasons:

In the past, staff were losing interest, and most of the time, they relegated their jobs to people in irc and forums. It would take days or a week to get a reply sometimes. This ran off new players with issues that players couldn't help solve.

General hopelessness. Some players brought up concerns about certain aspects that they liked, only to be shot down and offered nothing to keep their hopes up that "something" would be coming to fill the void.

The player base for the last 2 years (the people who spend a ton of time on irc and forums) are poisonous. I quit for a while because of this. I popped in to ask a "certain" staff member if things were getting any better. The answer was "probably worse".

These are reasons people quit but this is not THE reason the shard started slowly dying.
Theres only 1 reason. I wont go any further and this is my last post on this subject. But, yea, just 1 reason, and when you see the history and the threads/timelines, you can easily put the puzzle together. Again nothing to do with events pks or houses.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Kublai Khan
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kublai Khan »

Server isn't "as active" as normal. I think it is simply because most free server players left for "new" servers. This has happened often throughout UOSA's years but people always came back after the "new" wore off. The other similar server to UOSA, UO:R (similar as in strict[?] rule set) soaked up some players from UOSA. Only time will tell whether that server is going to do things right and keep a strong natural economy or tank like the rest. I don't play the server so I have no clue. Economy matters most in UO. People have comfort in knowing they can play at whatever pace they want and still have security. It's not how much you pay, it's how hard you work/loyalty-to-playing that determines your economic status in UO, sort of.

IMHO it wasn't ever intended to find a person killing monsters at every corner. You should have to work hard to find someone to PK who isn't wanting to fight back. Most people on server are just making money in MORE SAFE ways than just farming Cyclops Valley, Bloods, or etc...

tl;dr - stop whining about inactivity bc there isn't easy kills at cyclops valley.... have patience the slump in activity will fade soon!

:lol:

PS - DONATE TO UOSA

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Menkaure wrote:
GuardianKnight wrote:Removal of "all kill" ran people off. (mixed with the slowing of npc pets)

Non mechanical reasons:

These are reasons people quit but this is not THE reason the shard started slowly dying.
Theres only 1 reason. I wont go any further and this is my last post on this subject. But, yea, just 1 reason, and when you see the history and the threads/timelines, you can easily put the puzzle together. Again nothing to do with events pks or houses.

1 reason? I'm putting my guess on your one reason is events!

What do I win!?!?!?
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

If you quit uo because events, then you have missed the point. If the Auto events were your whole existence here, then they were a detriment to the shard as a whole.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Boondock_Saint wrote:
Menkaure wrote:

Non mechanical reasons:

1 reason? I'm putting my guess on your one reason is events!

What do I win!?!?!?

Re read my post.
I said it has NOTHING to do with events, houses, or pking.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

oliVeR

Post by oliVeR »

I had tons of fun here over the years. I see the server population is gone. That's too bad. I had some great times! Best Player run server I have played on so far!

Thanks Derrick!

-Jackass