Guards and Cutting up death robe's

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
oddball

Guards and Cutting up death robe's

Post by oddball »

1 - I know for a fact guards would not insta hally wack kill you even into UO:R, and there was a bug where if you ran west they could not telaport to you.
2 - I remember death robes, after clean up britan thing being able to be cut up and used as 3 aids if I recall.

Faust

Re: Guards and Cutting up death robe's

Post by Faust »

Guards worked exactly like this.

1. Follow the standard weapon mechanics. This includes speed and damage from skills, stats, and weapon stats.
2. All guards had 9000 str, dex, and int. However, guards also had 1d10+90 in their standard skills that allowed them to miss a weapon. Also, this means that a guard can swing VERY fast at 9000 dex and do MASSIVE damage from the 9000 str bonus to damage.
3. They would teleport to you if they lost line of sight and moved at a "very fast" pace, which is the fastest pace any npc could move at that time.

Typically the guard would kill you in a fraction of a second if things didn't go your way being unlucky. With a 90 to 100 value on combat skills this allowed the guard to possibly miss a swing where you could get a screen or two away before dying.

The problem with the RunUO code is that it uses an instant kill method anytime a guard pops up to kill a criminal or murderer instead of a "true" npc that would come kill you. The guards are simply generated and don't even really function like a normal NPC. The default RunUO code for guards is very poorly written code in my opinion in regard to the way that the guards truly worked on OSI. When OSI added the instant kill lightning bolt there was really no sense in making them function like they previously did. So it's quite understandable why it was done that way though.

oddball

Post by oddball »

Hmm
Last edited by oddball on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

I remember a guard missing on me once back then.... I heard the sound of the smack the first time but didn't die until the second one came. I also remember casting a blade spirit over and over on a town guard in an attempt to kill it with a friend. The guard got poisoned and lost health but I couldn't get him down to zero... he recovered too fast. Anyway, I don't think that would be possible here. We also played around at teleporters committing crimes and it was possible to hit the porter and go out of town before the guard got you.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm pretty sure it was determined a while ago in another thread that insta kill guards were in era, and early. I don't have the energy to look it up rght now though? Anyone recall?

Bleeble Dorf

Post by Bleeble Dorf »

I remember doing drive by stealing and being able to outrun the guards. I can't remember which era it was in.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick wrote:I'm pretty sure it was determined a while ago in another thread that insta kill guards were in era, and early. I don't have the energy to look it up rght now though? Anyone recall?
The guards are definitely pretty much insta kill if they actually hit you. A bonus sitting at 9000 str is an 1800% increase to damage in itself. A hally hitting at the bare minimum is an automatic 90 damage at that rate. I can't figure out all the possible scenarios but most situations would be insta kill. It may be possible to live in two hitsl, but I can't be positive. I know on the demo it's possible to live from the guard missing you with the hally, but they swing at a lightning speed it's like a hally swinging every miili second. Guards never really got a for sure "insta kill" ability until the lightning bolt was added. This allowed them to insta kill from that point on. The lightning bolt could not be resisted, missed, or anytihng as stated in the patch note for it.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

There was a brief stent during T2A, shortly before UO:R where you could outrun the guards if you were mounted and running West or East when they were called, and as stated, you could do driveby-stealings, but they would chase you as far as Papua before you got far enough away to hide or cast teleport. This would clearly be a problem today, because there is no slow connection to limit the effectiveness of this, everyone would be outrunning them.

RiOt MaKeR

Post by RiOt MaKeR »

oddball wrote:1 - I know for a fact guards would not insta hally wack kill you even into UO:R, and there was a bug where if you ran west they could not telaport to you.
2 - I remember death robes, after clean up britan thing being able to be cut up and used as 3 aids if I recall.

Once UO:R came around, gauranteed you die every time. There was the lightening attack as someone stated earlier. Just thought I'd point that out.

oddball

Post by oddball »

What about the robe's no comments? Im sure that was true, and about the guards yea I forgot all they did was add the lighting in UO:R manybe there is a way to disable it?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The lightning effect has been removed if I remember correctly. The insta kill method wasn't removed and neither was making the guards actual fighting npc's when this was done too.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Deathrobes did indeed turn into 2 bandages, not 3 odeball. it was great becuase dexers didnt have to run around with 10 percent life. although they were a lot of naked people near brit bank =p
[broken image]

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Deathrobes didn't give anything ... and they decayed in a matter of seconds if you put the robe on the ground even in a house. Why didn't they give anything? ... people would farm deaths at a shrine and macro cutting robes for bandages ... its free money.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

youve got your eras mixed up.

after beta in the games public release you were able to farm and cut death robes the bug got reconised and it was out within a few months.

guards did indeed insta kill it came with t2a and yes they could miss.

however if there was a guard that just killed someone and you attacked it it would follow you at a normal npc speed and did not teleport you could drag them out of town and trap them :>

Faust

Post by Faust »

The guards in the demo insta kill and that was last compiled before the release of t2a. There are two different versions of insta kill... The result of a hit that is so over powering in damage that it kills you, and than there is a simple method in code that simply kills you. There is a major difference between the both of these. A person in the first phase based on the standard game mechanics could actually survive at least one hit if everything goes his way being very lucky. The only time a true "insta kill" was applied to the game was when they added the lightning ability to the guards. It was well defined that this lighthing bolt could not miss or be resisted when it was added to the game. The standard swords skill of a guard in the demo code is 1d10+90 meaning a value of 91-100 in swordsmanship. This allowed a guard to miss with the weapon every so often.

Also, on the death robe issue... If this isn't a mistake on my part cutting up clothing wasn't even possible to produce cloth until late '99. My access to the patch notes isn't possible at the moment so looking this up isn't feesible for me. However, if I am remembering the patch notes correctly cutting up cloths wasn't even possible until mid to late '99... I may just take some time out of my way to research this issue.