SERVER POP

Topics related to Second Age

1 house per acct or unlimited housing per player?

1 house per acct
67%
Unlimited housing
33%

Total votes: 45

Capitalist

Re: SERVER POP

Post by Capitalist »

Budner wrote: Vega's assertion that limiting housing would kill the shard is a joke.

It is pure speculation
Your own words fix everything about your attack on me. Every time you make a post that grabs my attention, I start to respect Malaikat a little bit more.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Whitley
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Whitley »

CRockwell wrote:I couldnt agree more. Housing is not an issue with UOSA and doing a 1 house/account wont do anything other than put the final stake in the heart of UOSA. You will lose what is left of the committed core of the shard. Doing this will not bring a mass of newbies to the shard.
I agree things rightfully earned by players under a given set of rules should not be taken away when a new set becomes standard. Those houses should be grandfathered, but that's no reason not to change the policy. Housing definitely is a problem, it just isn't the only one.
In all honestly, I believe the reason for shard decline is simply the shard has run its course. Being era accurate means well...being era accurate.
For that to be true, the server would have to run its course much more quickly for all the newcomers in the past year or two than can reasonably be expected. Era accuracy (or at least how it is interpreted and implemented by specific admins) is again A problem but it isn't THE problem.

As I've written in the past, anyone looking for one problem -> one solution to fix the server's current ills is not going to find it. It's much more likely that we're suffering a death by a thousand cuts, or to enumerate (in no particular order):

1. Marketing - we need a steady stream of fresh new players.

2. Retention - we need to keep those players. In order to do so:

a. Fix housing

b. Do what we can to make it easier to become established. I feel a predictable "trammel" coming when I say this, but leaving in LoS bugs and the overrepresentation of PKers and griefers on this server don't lend to this goal.

c. Relax what is considered "era accurate". Some of the admins like to argue over semantics such as "mechanical" and "policy" era accuracy, but such arguments don't benefit the server, and neither does a strict adherence to either of those. Fun stuff that does not reasonably interfere with the server's EA goals does benefit it.

d. Automated events. See (c) above.

I don't actually expect any of this to happen, so I'm aware I'm wasting finger calories by typing it. The players (griefers/pks) want to play how they want to play, and some admins are apparently more interested in maintaining era accuracy than returning this shard to viability.

It is what it is, but until some or most of that change, we'll continue to see a population decline, and I for one am sad to see it.

Whitley

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Vega if I thought you cared more about the shard than you do your precious pixels, I might care what you say. Your bias on the housing issue couldn't possibly be more evident.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Budner wrote:Vega if I thought you cared more about the shard than you do your precious pixels, I might care what you say. Your bias on the housing issue couldn't possibly be more evident.
Redundant.

Your lack of common sense here is truly astounding.

I need the server to thrive to display my ability to manipulate people and markets.

I've taken several measures to keep this server alive, and half of the regular IRC goers on this server would be hard pressed to say that I'm not the only reason they play here.

For instance, I love to grief and PK. When the population dropped to 135ish averages I outright stopped doing both. The server bounced back to 160 and 200 on weekends, so I started again. The direct correlation? At 135, I couldn't find a single person in dungeons. Two days ago I killed 17 unique characters in a two hour span.

Use your sense before you post please. I may be invested in more than one avenue, but I wouldn't waste the time and effort by helping destroy those who can make my name more eternal.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

Jay

Post by Jay »

vegas right tho... (sorry just threw up in my mouth a little bit)

don't need to change shit in game you whiners.

(excluding the unspeakable viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57184&start=390 ..which might not be as needed anymore after boomland & co's recent and upcoming events take hold. thanks to staff)
-If you build it(events), they will come-

if you're mad at vega or someone for stealing your idoc and you care that much... make a small crew. you be would in the top 3 of all crews currently in game... since there are 0-2 crews active now. you might not always win but "every dog has their day" and there's no shortage of idocs... (get good/farm some gold/make some friends/use your brain/get some balls etc.)

(fyi: if vega and I agree on something and you don't... you're probably retarded)

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

LOL "so I can manipulate people and markets." My man, you live in a very small pond here, and self-reports of your influence are greatly exaggerated.

Your precious housing market that you have so much control over has crumbled. It is dead.

Why? Because there are no buyers.
Why are there no buyers? Because 1) there are no new players and 2) all the existing players already own pretty much what they want to own, or they'd be willing to pay up for nicer properties.

Kublai Khan
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Kublai Khan »

Budner wrote:LOL "so I can manipulate people and markets." My man, you live in a very small pond here, and self-reports of your influence are greatly exaggerated.

Your precious housing market that you have so much control over has crumbled. It is dead.

Why are there no buyers? Because 1) there are no new players and 2) all the existing players already own pretty much what they want to own, or they'd be willing to pay up for nicer properties.
+1

1vs1

Post by 1vs1 »

Piping in before this is locked -

Vega isn't manipulating much. There are castles out there on the housing market right now that are going cheap (and not selling) because of the poor state of the economy. Several examples of this on the front page of housing forum are as follows:
Housing is only a part of the larger issue - the overall economy is the problem. If this were to be worked on, then the staff would need to intervene directly and come up with several endgame solutions that wouldn't be era accurate. That won't happen.

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

j00Z (4|\| Ph0R/\/\ j00R 0\/\/|\| 1D0( 9R0UP. 4L50 |-|0U535 r |\|07 7|-|@ 3><P3|\|51\/3 4|\|D 1Ph j00Z (4|\||\|07 4PhPh0RD 0|\|3 0Ph 7|-|353 |-|0U535 j00Z pR0B4BL'/ 5|-|0ULD|\|7 |-|4\/3 5U(|-| 4 L4R93 |-|0U53. (R'/ /\/\0R3 j00Z |\|00B

CHEAP 5 out of 7
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60328
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60484
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60483
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60482
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60177

NOT SO CHEAP 2 out of 7
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60094
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=60255

= CRY MORE NOOB, Plenty of housing to go around

Wychethyl

Post by Wychethyl »

Well, there are plenty of houses selling for nothing (including your 5) because there are <100 players online and next to no one is buying.

As the rest of your post is personal attack and whatnot, I don't think any response is required or deserved.

The housing market has always been one of the worst aspects of this server. That comment belies my great enjoyment of UOSA, so don't take that to mean I think negatively of UOSA as a whole. When I got here a year and a half or so ago, house prices were generally 2x deed, sometimes a bit more. It spiked last year during the summer or fall and many were 3x deed or more, which again is terrible given the steady decline of the population. The majority of houses here aren't being used either.

The housing issues are but one facet of the problems of an economy on a shard with fewer and fewer players. When we had more players the economy was obviously more lively, but with limitations. The era accuracy we love and the prevalence of tank mages means that there is very little demand for gm armor, (iron, colored ores, leather, or studded), gm weapons (aside from halberds/katanas), magic weapons (aside from halberds and very high end charged), or magic armor.

Obviously, the housing limit won't be changed since the one we have is era-accurate, so we are only speaking in hypotheticals anyway. It does seem rather silly to see less than a hundred people logged in a shard with thousands of empty houses. Silly and kind of depressing

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

All personal gibberish aside, just want what's best for UOSA.

We all have that at heart. Which is why this has been such a blast. :D

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Budner wrote:LOL "so I can manipulate people and markets." My man, you live in a very small pond here, and self-reports of your influence are greatly exaggerated.

I got out of the housing market ages ago. O*S killed the housing market by refusing to hold houses for greater profit. You have no idea how far my influence reaches, because all of my matters are handled privately. I was selling houses for 3-4x deed when there were no incoming players, and convinced you as one of many pawns to buy houses at what I desired them to be bought at. You're one of hundreds who can testify to being my personal bitch.

Whitley
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Whitley »

Isn't a housing limit a policy accuracy thing rather than a mechanical accuracy? If so, seems there's some hope it could be changed.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Vega you're so full of delusion and self-importance.

I'm guessing you work at a 7-11 for the few hours a week when you can actually peel yourself off your stained couch. You mark up a Snickers bar 5 cents and think you're manipulating people's minds and making them your bitch.

You're a real power broker my man. You control the world!

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Whitley wrote:Isn't a housing limit a policy accuracy thing rather than a mechanical accuracy? If so, seems there's some hope it could be changed.
Housing limitations is based on the housing mechanics at the time, which limited players to having 1 house per character, which means you could have 5 houses per account per shard.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.