How to deal with in-town criminals?

Topics related to Second Age
Aenvar

How to deal with in-town criminals?

Post by Aenvar »

Hello everybody and greetings from a new player.

Recently I've been killed inside Moonglow while trying to macro anatomy by a player called "Salty Seamon". He casts poison on me and lets it run until I'm dead. I know I'm a noob and I deserve to die, this is not a thread about whining. I'm just curious if there is any way to fight this off, besides running to the healer and getting cured.

The last time he did it I was in front of the screen so I ran behind him, I typed guards several times while targetting him but nothing happened, yet he was flagged grey. Also my macro is spamming "guards" by default every ten seconds. So I'm pretty confused and can't seem to remember how the mechanics worked. is there any method of dealing with killers/crmininal flagged players inside a guarded zone?

Thank you very much, been having a blast so far on this server!

Treysta

Re: How to deal with in-town criminals?

Post by Treysta »

You don't. If you go AFK in a town, you're a sitting duck for griefers, and let me be the first to testify as to the devotion of our base of griefers.

Macro in a house. Houses aren't all 100% safe, but the deaths will be fewer and farther between (and if you macro in the middle of a small with no z-axis terrain around you you shouldn't ever die).

I'll hook you up with a house you can macro in if you can catch me online. Send me a PM with your availability.
^

WOODY

Post by WOODY »

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Including "guards" in your macro every 10 seconds is just asking to be killed. While it won't work for long, putting an "if" statement in your macro where your character says "guards" only if their HP drops below a certain level, can be a good way to at least get them guard whacked once or twice. You can even add in a "wait for" where it won't continue on with your macro until your HP gets back above a certain level. If you're lucky, they'll think you're actually watching and maybe move on to someone else.

Narcissic

Post by Narcissic »

First off, let me welcome to you the shard
Second, there are those who are determined to make the lives of new players miserable. As long as it is convenient and easy for them, they won't stop. This "salty" fellow is likely one of those no life criminals who enjoys ruining the game for others.

Steps you can do to make your UO life more enjoyable
1. Add "if attacked, say guards". "if poisoned, say guards. Restock cure regs from bank. Cast cure." "if hp < x, say guards. Cast gheal." to all of your in-town macros.
2. Buy/rent/borrow a house from a player so you don't have to do above step. While using a house. only the center tile of a small is "safe" from spells like meteor swarm and chain lightning. Earthquake can still hit you but it will never kill you. Patios, L-shapes, and bricks are also safe from these spells. Towers, keeps, and castles are not, however, thanks to an era-accurate glitch in the game that allows players to target the ground underneath these houses with area-of-effect spells
--Note, if you are using a patio, lock the patio doors. A player can open them with telekinesis and then target the area inside your house with meteor swarm, cl, purples pots.
--Also, if there are any significant dips that allows a player to see under your house, they can target the ground underneath regardless of what house you are in.
3. Befriend said players. Some of the most famous scams have been done by becoming friends with a player and then robbing them for all they are worth. Or just using them until they are no longer needed. Gee, UO is kinda like the real world. Same sick sense of humor.
4. Restock macros are great to use when macroing in town by a bank. Check out the agents feature in razor. You can use a restock agent to... restock items to a specific number. Bind it to a hotkey and you can use it in macros.

That's all I got right now. Maybe some other players will be kind enough to add their own advice.
Derrick wrote: It is not our policy to comment on account actions which are taken against players.

An exception should be made in order to counter dishonesty.
Cavewights accounts were banned for accepting in-game goods for the promise of money.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

farm -> buy a house
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Vega/Delo

Post by Vega/Delo »

Anatomy.... hide first, macro all night long.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

The guys have you pretty well taken care of. The only thing I would add is they can kill you in a small using eatherquake if you are macroing a skill that causes you to take damage (casting ebolt on yourself). A simple “if” statement that pauses the macro below a certain HP threshold should already be in your macro and this should stop most EQ deaths if it is set pretty high. If your ebolt can do a max damage of 30 points, the absolute minimum your health check should be is (30*2)+1 or 61, but 70-80 or even 100 would be better. If he calls enough of his friends and they sync their casts, you can’t really do anything to stop it.

More importantly, your small house should be secluded. You can’t stay hidden for every skill you need to macro so a house will help a ton. The more people that run by your place, the greater chance a griefer will find you. That’s why new people in towns get killed a lot. They are very visible to a large part of the community. Even picking a lesser known town would cut down on deaths. Brit is the busiest town, so it’s obviously a bad choice to macro in. Moonglow tends to be bad as well, because people are always macroing provoke at the moonglow zoo. Any place near a bank, vendors, or dungeon entrance is a bad idea as these drive additional traffic, etc.

If you need some startup funds hit me up. I assume you are a warrior since anatomy pairs well with it. I’ve always got a bunch of GM armor and weapons around, waiting for someone to use it.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Aenvar wrote:I know I'm a noob and I deserve to die
Hilarious.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Aenvar

Post by Aenvar »

Thank you very much all for the warm welcome and for taking the time to post all that good advice, I really learned a lot with this thread and I shall put it to use very soon 8)

Also that Vet Tower Drop event looks really cool, couldn't have timed it better so I'll be there for sure. Will bring a new recruit with me too, Tristan, who is already training his anatomy aswell :D

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Boondock_Saint wrote:
Hilarious.
I'm glad that at least one other person noticed this! What a magnificent piece of wisdom rarely seen in internet land! This statement of Aenvar is so true, so pure.
Lankgord: Hello. I'm New To The Server. Any Drama Going On Lately?

[20:38] <newYorK>i love how franz is in game robbing me while im reading his comic
[20:38] <newYorK> priceless

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Jakob wrote:
Boondock_Saint wrote:
Hilarious.
I'm glad that at least one other person noticed this! What a magnificent piece of wisdom rarely seen in internet land! This statement of Aenvar is so true, so pure.
I did notice this too. This mentality is exactly what every new player here should adopt. Know you'll die, a lot, and strive to learn from these experiences to get better and overcome. Or, take the cA approach and take these experiences and invent bigger and better ways to apply them to the next noob. :)

The Gods

Post by The Gods »

Narcissic wrote:First off, let me welcome to you the shard
Second, there are those who are determined to make the lives of new players miserable. As long as it is convenient and easy for them, they won't stop. This "salty" fellow is likely one of those no life criminals who enjoys ruining the game for others.

Steps you can do to make your UO life more enjoyable
1. Add "if attacked, say guards". "if poisoned, say guards. Restock cure regs from bank. Cast cure." "if hp < x, say guards. Cast gheal." to all of your in-town macros.
2. Buy/rent/borrow a house from a player so you don't have to do above step. While using a house. only the center tile of a small is "safe" from spells like meteor swarm and chain lightning. Earthquake can still hit you but it will never kill you. Patios, L-shapes, and bricks are also safe from these spells. Towers, keeps, and castles are not, however, thanks to an era-accurate glitch in the game that allows players to target the ground underneath these houses with area-of-effect spells
--Note, if you are using a patio, lock the patio doors. A player can open them with telekinesis and then target the area inside your house with meteor swarm, cl, purples pots.
--Also, if there are any significant dips that allows a player to see under your house, they can target the ground underneath regardless of what house you are in.
3. Befriend said players. Some of the most famous scams have been done by becoming friends with a player and then robbing them for all they are worth. Or just using them until they are no longer needed. Gee, UO is kinda like the real world. Same sick sense of humor.
4. Restock macros are great to use when macroing in town by a bank. Check out the agents feature in razor. You can use a restock agent to... restock items to a specific number. Bind it to a hotkey and you can use it in macros. Ya pking is a part of this game and would suck without it...but maybe go easier on brand new players so they dont just leave cuz they realize they cant even go out and train or earn gold without being pked and res killed ect ect...

That's all I got right now. Maybe some other players will be kind enough to add their own advice.
wish they didnt treat new players like shit...rather ppl like it or not they are this shards future, tbh...making them leave only hurts our shard and population....cmon salty!! let em macro...he not hurting anyone :mrgreen: and now new players dont feel safe in town like many ppl cuz ppl kill afkers and macroers in town...which idky guards never get called on here...but always seems if i accidentally attack sum1 or sumthing npcs always, always call guards...but when its to save me...they never call guards..lol

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

Everywhere you go there will be D-bags. There are more D-bags on the internet because of anonymity. That’s why I always try and help new people out when I see them. I’m trying to make up for all the D-baggery, heh heh.

UO itself is a very harsh to new players to begin with. When you put the D-baggery on top of it, then you get a lot of 2 dayers. I try and make them feel welcomed. I let them know we appreciate them. I try to lessen the harshness of getting started. The hope is this shows them enough goodwill they will stick around through all the garbage.

If you see a new player help them out. Tell them about Hardcores tower giveaway. If they are a warrior give them some good weapons, armor, bandages, and tell them how to macro strength quickly before leaving town. If they are a mage give them a full spell book, regs, mark scrolls, and a rune book to get them started. Tell them about how to macro med, eval, herd, and spirit speak and why they should macro these skills when they are sleeping. If they are a miner, mark a rune to a town, mark a good mining spot, grab them some recall scrolls, and if necessary show them where and how to teach magery to get back and forth with the scrolls. Then buy his ingots at inflated prices to help him get a house so he can macro safely, heh heh. Make sure they know about UOAM and how they can use it to find places to sell their stuff from their kills. It takes at most 15 minutes of your time and under 5K yet it greatly reduces the burden on them (assuming they don’t die with all the regs you just gave them). On second thought, make sure they know not to leave town with all those regs or scrolls on them…

I honestly wish I could more than couple hours a week so I could help more. Stupid job and family getting in the way of UO time.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin