Skills not rising as fast as they should?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Foxhound3857

Skills not rising as fast as they should?

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Well, my main fighting skills Swords/Tactics/Parry are going up nicely, but I'm having problems with other skills. Healing, for example, is 31.8, so you'd expect that it'd rise easily being so low. Yet I rarely get a gain when I use it, even when successful. I get a gain maybe every 10 bandages, if I'm lucky. Same with Resisting Spells; it's at 29 but rarely does it go up from being hit by magic, whether it's simple spells like Fireball or hard hitters like E-Bolt.

Anatomy is the biggest problem; it's not rising at all. It's 29.1 and fighting doesn't seem to raise it, nor does healing. I don't know what to do about it.

Any advice on how to get these skills to move up? Thanks.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Skills not rising as fast as they should?

Post by Hicha »

Are you healing yourself, another player or an NPC? not sure why, but you get incredibly better gains by healing NPCs versus players. You should gain steadily till around 74, in which it'll slow down dramatically.

I'm not too sure if resist is difficulty based (IE: If you don't have a chance to resist a fireball or ebolt at that low of a level, you aren't going to get a skill gain) but at only 29.1, you should just be running through fire fields. Switch to lightning at around 40-45, then ebolt at 58, flamestrike from 82 on up.

Anatomy; just use the skill and target a player or NPC. You should be able to attack a NPC (to gain swords/anat/tactics) while macroing anatomy on the NPC AND doubleclicking bandages to heal the NPC.

For parry, you should try Matron's Guide
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Healing myself.

Alright; I'll get some Flame Wall scrolls and work on it once I have a bit of money.

Shouldn't Anatomy be going up just by fighting monsters? Can't understand why it won't. But I'll give using the skill a try.

Thanks.

P.S: Is there a cap on the amount of Stat Points I can gain per day? I'd like to 100/100 my Str/Dex as soon as possible.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Foxhound3857 wrote:Healing myself.

Alright; I'll get some Flame Wall scrolls and work on it once I have a bit of money.

Shouldn't Anatomy be going up just by fighting monsters? Can't understand why it won't. But I'll give using the skill a try.

Thanks.

P.S: Is there a cap on the amount of Stat Points I can gain per day? I'd like to 100/100 my Str/Dex as soon as possible.
You should be gaining anatomy alongside sword/tactics (and healing I'd imagine) but things don't always work the way they should.

Takes 15 seconds to heal yourself versus 6 seconds to heal someone else, so you can see why your gains are slow.

No cap on the amount of stat/skill points you can gain per day, so grind away.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

hiicha wrote: You should be gaining anatomy alongside sword/tactics (and healing I'd imagine) but things don't always work the way they should.
Not true. You don't gain Anatomy from swinging a weapon on this shard, and you don't gain Eval Int from casting spells. Both must be used manually (macroed).

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Mikel123 wrote:
hiicha wrote: You should be gaining anatomy alongside sword/tactics (and healing I'd imagine) but things don't always work the way they should.
Not true. You don't gain Anatomy from swinging a weapon on this shard, and you don't gain Eval Int from casting spells. Both must be used manually (macroed).
Yeah, I figured that out as well. I finally got my Anatomy GM'd, so that's one task out of the way. And now that Str/Dex are at 100 each, training should be easier now.

I'm hoping to head out to Shame soon.

Foxhound3857

Post by Foxhound3857 »

Sorry if double-posting is rulebreaking, but I thought it better than wasting space on a new thread. Am I doing something wrong for my fishing? I've been in the 90s for a week now, but I hardly ever get ANY gains even at deep-sea.

My macro is set for five different spots around my boat in deep water, and I periodically peak over at my PC to make sure a sea serpent wasn't generated, but I get almost no skill gains doing this. Right now I'm at 96.6.

Can anyone help me to GM faster?

Return to “New Player Help”