Teaching pets combat/magery skills

Moderator: Support Moderators

kayla22

Teaching pets combat/magery skills

Post by kayla22 »

I know there is a way to teach pets to fight and cast spells, but I dnt quite understand how. If anyone has any tips plz let me know. I want to tame some different animals and teach them to cast so i can be a little safer while out with my taming character.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Teaching pets combat/magery skills

Post by Mikel123 »

Have them fight stuff.

Seriously - pets are almost identical to player characters. They have Wrestling skill, Tactics, Magery, and Resist, all of which can be trained. They also have Parry and Poisoning, though I have no idea how either of those work on NPCs. I am unsure if pets can gain STR, DEX, or INT. I'm pretty sure they can, but it's tough to verify in-game.

Having them fight stuff is the best way to train them. Like players, as they fight things their skills will rise. However, monsters without magic abilities will never gain them through taming; only magic-casting monsters will cast magic when tamed. Their Magery skill can improve, however. If you really want to try to improve it, when you see your pet cast Magic Arrow a few times in a row, stop fighting and let them regain their mana. They can't gain magery with level 1 spells, so you need to let them recharge their mana.

Really though, you shouldn't rely on pet training to keep you safe. Just tame higher-level pets (or more pets!). What is your taming skill?

Return to “New Player Help”