How to avoid pet grief-killers

Topics related to Second Age
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

How to avoid pet grief-killers

Post by Mikel123 »

Lately there has been a rash of folks who gate into a dungeon in a group of 4 or more, with the intent of PKing and grief-killing a tamer's pets. In one case, they even scratched the PK part of it and just tried to gate my dragon to their location so they could kill it. In another, they brought a character with herding, presumably in some attempt to herd the pet into the gate. Good times.

I've seen far too many tamers post on here that they abandon their dragons at the sight of a red, which is just a horrible waste. I'm all for PKing tamers... but gating a dragon out of the dungeon so you can kill it for no loot in front of your tower is just lame.

Here's how I make it out of 90% of these encounters without dying or losing a dragon.

1) always have Magic Reflect active. Your pets should be getting targeted by the monster you're hunting. If the Blood Elemental targets you instead, send your pets after it, run off screen, cast Magic Reflect, and return. Magic reflect will reflect the first spell cast on you back at the caster, without disrupting anything you may be doing at the time.

2) have enough magery to cast a level 5 spell with 100% success (80.1). This will allow you to cast a level 7 scroll with 100% success.

3) always keep a Gate scroll in your pack.

4) have a macro for double-clicking on a moongate. this is simple. Make a new macro, hit Record, and double-click a moongate. Then stop recording and change it to "use by type".

5) when you first see a gate open up near you, or a bunch of reds run in, here's what I typically do:
  • say "all guard me" - this will ensure that if someone attacks you, they will quickly have a few dragons on them
  • cast Gate from a scroll, target your rune (this typically happens while the first of the gank squad gets close enough to start casting Harm on you... it bounces off and you succeed the scroll cast uninterrupted)
  • say "all follow me" a couple times - your dragons should still be quite close since they don't move very fast when guarding you
  • when the dragons get within a tile of you, hit your Moongate macro. One caveat - this looks for a random moongate on the screen, so if your enemies happened to gate in, you may have to use the macro a couple times, until it correctly chooses your moongate.
Anyways... seems simple, and it is, but it will save you quite a bit of time instead of leaving your dragons for dead.

sirrayiv

Re: How to avoid pet grief-killers

Post by sirrayiv »

informative and clever...thanks for the info

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Mikel123 wrote:Lately there has been a rash of folks who gate into a dungeon in a group of 4 or more, with the intent of PKing and grief-killing a tamer's pets. In one case, they even scratched the PK part of it and just tried to gate my dragon to their location so they could kill it.

I'm all for PKing tamers... but gating a dragon out of the dungeon so you can kill it for no loot in front of your tower is just lame.
I pretty much disagree with you on this. Killing of pets is a lot different than killing a horse. Drags are used to kill reds so the reds take the dragon from you... before or after you die. (or run)

No different than looting a vanq hally or reags... Drags are basically a tamer's magic hally...

Curious... Who is this group of folks you are running into? Guild?

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Right, except they can't turn around and use the "hally", so it's not really the same at all :-)

When a person or a group of people kill a tamer, and the tamer's dragon is off chasing after a blood elemental, it's no threat to them. And when they finish looting the tamer's body, they go and gate the pet somewhere to kill it outside of a dungeon... well, I call that griefing. It's just lame, there's really no other word for it.

Some guy named "run" got me by himself I think, totally my fault, I was checking forums in between spawns and when I checked back to my UO window he already had me down to 50 and I panicked. Then he came back, gating in with 3 friends, Klonopin and Anti Hero I think, and someone else, to try to do it again, and I got out of there with 1 dragon, then came back and got the other and gated it out before they could kill it (or me).

Some ass named Sir PimpsALot, who's a blue, came up to me the other day and did the ol' "Run into any PKs here?" and while I was responding, popped up a gate and attacked my dragon so it would go through and follow him. So I went in, got my dragon back, and gated both my dragons back to town because I didn't feel like dealing with him. He jumped my gate for some reason, so I dispelled it and had my dragons kill him in town while he was grey. The rune he had was to one of the MHK towers in the mountains. Then he comes back to get his horse while I'm banking his stuff, and proceeds to talk about how he "mad lagged" but it's all good because this is "just a game".

I'm not sure what prompted this, but having a guy named Sir PimpsALot trying to give you a life lesson is the kind of funny I've come to expect from UO.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Exelent info, Bina always has a gate scroll.

As for the "you shouldnt kill tamers pets"
No.

If I see a tamer, I will attempt to PK. If he runs or I kill him I will steal the dragons and retame them for myself.

Sorry lifes hard then you die.
[broken image]

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

tekai wrote:Exelent info, Bina always has a gate scroll.

As for the "you shouldnt kill tamers pets"
No.

If I see a tamer, I will attempt to PK. If he runs or I kill him I will steal the dragons and retame them for myself.

Sorry lifes hard then you die.
omg ur so badass!!!!!!

Corwin

Post by Corwin »

Mikel123 wrote:Some ass named Sir PimpsALot, who's a blue, came up to me the other day and did the ol' "Run into any PKs here?" and while I was responding, popped up a gate and attacked my dragon so it would go through and follow him. So I went in, got my dragon back, and gated both my dragons back to town because I didn't feel like dealing with him. He jumped my gate for some reason, so I dispelled it and had my dragons kill him in town while he was grey. The rune he had was to one of the MHK towers in the mountains. Then he comes back to get his horse while I'm banking his stuff, and proceeds to talk about how he "mad lagged" but it's all good because this is "just a game".
Pet's are fair game, but well done. You'll be all the stronger of a tamer for learning how to anticipate and deal with these situations.

I came at it from the other side... I'd been killing tamers for so long that by the time I made one of my own when Siege P opened - I already knew all the tricks that'd be used against me and which counters were effective and which weren't.

I still remember a time the Guardian's Chosen guild rolled up on screen and started spamming para at everything and anything... they were so proud they got all of my dragons/wyrms, and me as well ... but I'd already casted gate from a scroll and para didn't interrupt spell casting ... so as they loaded up their combo's I emoted a *waves* and went proof.

Zim.

Post by Zim. »

Dont be a tamer!

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Mikel123 wrote:Lately there has been a rash of folks who gate into a dungeon in a group of 4 or more, with the intent of PKing and grief-killing a tamer's pets. In one case, they even scratched the PK part of it and just tried to gate my dragon to their location so they could kill it. In another, they brought a character with herding, presumably in some attempt to herd the pet into the gate. Good times.
Anytime we gate someones pet away from them, the intent is not to kill the pet.
We trap the animal and wait for it to become wild and then have one of our tamers re-tame the animal. This is especially the case with nightmares as they sell well.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Corwin are you even playing here yet? i randomly see you chat in forum but have yet to see any name that even reminds me of you.

Well TT stoner and alcon kinda remind me of the way you acted on siege....other than that nope.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Biohazard wrote: Anytime we gate someones pet away from them, the intent is not to kill the pet.
We trap the animal and wait for it to become wild and then have one of our tamers re-tame the animal. This is especially the case with nightmares as they sell well.
Interesting - how long does it take them to go wild?

Also, add Vanette and Adonis INfestus to the list, from guild T-B or T-D or something.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Mikel123 wrote:Right, except they can't turn around and use the "hally", so it's not really the same at all :-)
Again, i disagree. as mentioned in the thread gated mares are typically boxed up and re-tamed. If i kill a macer am i going to leave his vanq Q-staff on his corpse bc i dont have a macer?
Mikel123 wrote:
Biohazard wrote: Anytime we gate someones pet away from them, the intent is not to kill the pet.

Also, add Vanette and Adonis INfestus to the list, from guild T-B or T-D or something.
About a day or less. Regardless of dragons being resold or killed, part of pking is denying your victom the ability to come fight you back. Pets are a tamer's weapons so i am going to either "loot" them or kill them.

I dont think that is wrong. I dont dry-loot. I dont horse kill. I often res and or gate (if not both).

I think the problem here in on the tamer who believe his pets should not be gated/killed. Easy solution to that. Dont bring them dungeons! :D

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Mikel123 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest.. I just trap the thing and go to bed and tell hiram about it since he the tamer.

Corwin

Post by Corwin »

Robot wrote:Corwin are you even playing here yet? i randomly see you chat in forum but have yet to see any name that even reminds me of you.
Not so far..

I just like to chat about the t2a days.