Poison Part 2

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
exince

Re: Poison Part 2

Post by exince »

I also feel that deadly poison is not working as it did during T2A.

I remember having poisoning on my dexer back on old osi shards. And being laughed at for it being a "crafter"-skill and not belonging to a fighter-style-char. And i remember laughing when those people died because it took em 1-4 greater cures to get rid of my DP and having no cures left after the 2nd or 3rd time they got DP'ed. And no, that wasn't during UO:R. When did oil cloth get introduced? With UO:R? I stopped playing the poisoner when it was introduced. Was too much of an annoyance with the oil cloth and weaps breaking that fast if you didn't use it.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I did test HP regen while poisioned this morning, and you do clearly regenerate HP's while poisoned.

It was a good lead :(
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ezp
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Ezp »

Poison was feared more due to several reasons imo.

1. Ping, 200 ms makes casting slower

2. Educated, ppl are simply more educated and know how to counter it

3. Panic, due to ppl being more educated they panic less

Just my worthless 2 cents

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Thanks Derrick. I was hoping it may have panned out.

And Ezp, worthless? Not at all. We are trying to find the little things that make the difference some of us feel. Like many others you bring up some good points.

I don't thing there is some big "a-ha!" elements missing. Just some nueances.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kraarug wrote:We are trying to find the little things that make the difference some of us feel. Like many others you bring up some good points.
Like hally swing timers. /yawn
Last edited by Hicha on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Faust

Post by Faust »

The swing delay timer is already being worked on hiicha...

We already know that it's not right on here.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, swing timer and spell timer mechaincs will be fixed soon (within the next couple months).

I've been a little held up on taking on any major code projects due to domestic space issues which I'm working diligently to solve.

The fix to these timers may or may not be minor, the most noticable difference will be that time during server saves will not count towards swings, do the double hits from monsters when they hit you just before a save and immediately after won't happen anymore. There may also be an improvement to archery as this will effect how movement is detected and handled as it relates to weapon readiness.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Derrick wrote:Aye, swing timer and spell timer mechaincs will be fixed soon (within the next couple months).

I've been a little held up on taking on any major code projects due to domestic space issues which I'm working diligently to solve.

The fix to these timers may or may not be minor, the most noticable difference will be that time during server saves will not count towards swings, do the double hits from monsters when they hit you just before a save and immediately after won't happen anymore. There may also be an improvement to archery as this will effect how movement is detected and handled as it relates to weapon readiness.
Actually, I think, too, that the skill use delay would continue to run during server saves. I think I noticed this with Stealth.

This was something I was considering taking advantage of, if we got closer to 10-second saves. As it was, with 6-second saves, you could theoretically Steal from someone with 4 seconds to go before the save, and then once the 6-second save was complete, you could steal again immediately.

If we had 10-second saves or more, you could time it so you stole right as the server was saving, and then steal immediately again when it came back up.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Faust wrote:
hiicha wrote: I've just given up on it entirely; regardless of what "proof" you provide, someone will find a random article somewhere else, claim it to be more "accurate" than yours and then they hope you just leave things alone.
The problem with this notion is that a random article wasn't used in determining the poison system here. The formula from the demo is being used here that MATCHES up with pin point precision with a patch description discussing the new cure and arch cure changes. This write up specifically states the cure spell success chance is being reduced WHILE the arch cure spell maintains its current form that it and the cure spell held before this patch. It ALSO lists cure percentiles at different levels that MATCHES up perfectly with the demo formula values at those levels... Mind you that the cure and arch cure patch was inacted during or around the AOS expansion... The rest of the evidence from "random articles" backs this notion up stating how useless poison is on UOHOC chat logs, google groups, and stratics articles. Cure potions is even possible to discuss for being inaccurate since the UOR publish clearly lists how insignificant it was to cure different levels with even lesser cure(that mysteriously coincides with the demo too...).

When you have precise information that backs up the formula's used from actual OSI code like this it's a slam dunk or homerun, period.
Please don't start using random CAPS, that crap is annoying as it when Murugan uses it.

I listed several articles which all used the same 10-40%, 5 secs intervals with stamina reduction below 25% HP. Everyone claimed the current poison system was era accurate and "based off the demo", yet after testing it was determined to be incorrect and *fixed* again. So now we have an "era-accurate version 2.0" poison system, and its based off of 2 articles and 2 google group discussions, 1 more than what I posted which was deemed "inaccurate" because your links to archive.org are more special than mine.

If we're basing everything off of a demo, please give me the wisp back, as I haven't seen a patch note saying it was removed. Era accurate imo.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Faust

Post by Faust »

hiicha wrote:Everyone claimed the current poison system was era accurate and "based off the demo", yet after testing it was determined to be incorrect and *fixed* again.
Please explain.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

hiicha wrote:I listed several articles which all used the same 10-40%, 5 secs intervals with stamina reduction below 25% HP.
This is consistant with what we currently have on UOSA.

Also of note related to another above post, the minimum damage is 1.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Derrick wrote:
hiicha wrote:I listed several articles which all used the same 10-40%, 5 secs intervals with stamina reduction below 25% HP.
This is consistant with what we currently have on UOSA.

Also of note related to another above post, the minimum damage is 1.
I believe the current calc is a flat 13%, is it not?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

My understanding is yes, it's 13%, it's not halved, and the minimum value is 1 hp.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Don't forget the ability to have a 1/3 chance of re-calculating the damage...
Last edited by Faust on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

hiicha wrote:I believe the current calc is a flat 13%, is it not?
Yes, but it doesn't recalc every time. All the posion damages are a flat percentage in code, but the effective output can certainly be up to or excced 40% of remaining health because it does not recalculate the damage every time. The OSI routine for poison damage matches this effective description of the damage very well.

13% (actually 1/8 per OSI) is the minimum.

Follow up:
I've spent the better part of today checking everything related to poison, I can't find any indication on either the poison or on the curing side, that we don't have this dead on.

I would love to find information that indicated poison should be more potent, but I'm not able to find that information.

More Follow-up:
Ren publish wrote: Cure Potions
Cure potions will now cure poison based on the relative strength of the cure potion and the poison afflicting the character. A lesser cure will have virtually no chance of curing a deadly poisoned character, while a greater cure will cure greater poison much more often than not. All other cure and poison levels will scale accordingly.
Now we know that this was already the case even prior T2A via the demo, however was it stated this way because the changes to curing were so severe in this publish? That is, that prior to UO:R poison was so much easier to cure?
Last edited by Derrick on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: follow up