Poison Part 2

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Poison Part 2

Post by Kraarug »

This happens to be my favorite topic...

In reading old posts from 1999 I kept seeing where DP was really feared. I have to ask myself, why is it not feared here? What's wrong?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 20d256ec53

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Poison Part 2

Post by BlackFoot »

personalyl i carried 1-2 store bought cure pots when i played osi :P so dp was scary
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Faust

Post by Faust »

Wow, if you're going to start another one of these endless threads at least provide some new additional evidence with substance. :roll:

Here comes the flowing wasteful bandwidth that will soon follow.

RazitalJiminez

Post by RazitalJiminez »

me being relatively new to USOA, but not OSI or UO in general, I was, and am disappointed that poison is practically a joke here ... chosen as one of my first 50 point talents and now almost 3x GM in combat skills I realize that I could turn back time and choose something different. I was an Assassin on Chesapeake and thought I'd carry my legacy here, but I can imagine once I even get up to deadly poison level it's probably just a joke, seeing as how I've seen practically 0 poison keg's at any vendor, very very minimal DP Weapons at vendors, and have encounter 0 PK's who use poisoned weapons ... Am I right or wrong or was it my own mistake by not reading the forums first before making my character?

I'm not bashing the shard at all, as I love the environment and staff here, I just don't know where the line is determined between Era accurate and UOSA modified.

That is all, and sorry if this has been talked about over 9,000 times :(

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:Wow, if you're going to start another one of these endless threads at least provide some new additional evidence with substance. :roll:

Here comes the flowing wasteful bandwidth that will soon follow.
Case-in-point

Faust

Post by Faust »

This has been hashed out a billion times over, enough already unless you have something new to bring to the table...

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

The very post you quote talks about 400ms pings. Lots of stuff is scary at that ping, especially with the 1-2% packet loss that comes with it.

Also, people on those groups feared liches. Here's a thread from 2002 called "can't kill a lich"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... gst&q=lich#

Here's a thread with a guy in 1998 giving out his ICQ number to help people fight liches: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... db22a48a00
In reading old posts from 1999 I kept seeing where liches were really feared. I have to ask myself, why are they not feared here? What's wrong?
Please fix the liches on our shard. They are clearly not era accurate.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Mikel123 wrote:The very post you quote talks about 400ms pings. Lots of stuff is scary at that ping, especially with the 1-2% packet loss that comes with it.

Also, people on those groups feared liches. Here's a thread from 2002 called "can't kill a lich"

Here's a thread with a guy in 1998 giving out his ICQ number to help people fight liches: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... db22a48a00
In reading old posts from 1999 I kept seeing where liches were really feared. I have to ask myself, why are they not feared here? What's wrong?
Mikel, 2002 wasn't T2A. Why are you trying to bring that up?

Are you trying to fail at burning me again. Enough already, I thought you said you were done trying that. Do I need to open a can of whoop ass on you and make you cry again?

I can go through era related thread after thread in this news group about talking about DP and how difficult it was to deal with. It's not that hard to do. But that's not my point.

My point is that there may be some qualitative factor that makes it not feel right. What we have could be accurate, it could not be. If someone has evidence or some other source to address the system that would be most welcomed.

What is not welcomed is some smart ass attempt at carrying on a little feud where a retired person got their feelings hurt.

Did you read anywhere here where I asked to change what we have now?

If you don't have anything to add just shut up instead of just trying to be cute or obtuse.
Faust wrote:This has been hashed out a billion times over, enough already unless you have something new to bring to the table...
Same goes for you too Mr. Faust. If you have nothing to add, and you clearly do not, then just stfu. No one is making you open this thread so just don't.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

iv said it before, ill say it again and probably 1000 more times. DP just simply is not right on UOSA. this is comming from someone who actually used DP very often during t2a on OSI with huge success in pvp and field PKing. i know player memory should never be a deciding factor on accuracy changes when things like the UO demo can give very specific information such as formulas used to calculate damage.........

but in this one case, im putting all of your "logical" evidence aside faust and saying that this just isnt correct. I cannot explain why it isnt correct, but DP is absolutly worthless here, and it definatly was not during the time period of 98-2000 that i played on OSI.

iv heared people suggest this is due to a "ninja patch" or any number of other possible reasons, and personally, i dont know if they are correct or not. but what i am 100% positive on, is that DP was much more effective on OSI then it is here. I played a statloss dexxer PK on chesapeake for almost 3 years (all through t2a and very early UOR). my skills were never much higher then 90ish due to rezzing multiple times in statloss, and not having the ability to multi-client macro back then. carrying deadly poisoned weapons was the single biggest reason my dexxer was an effective PK. it was not uncommon at all for me to be chasing someone down and watch my poison kill them on the run due to multiple failed cure attempts. on UOSA, i play a 7x poison dexxer, and not one time ever has my poison killed someone on the run. hell i dont think iv even seen a poison charge tick more then one time because people can just insta-cure it.

i wish i could explain what the problem is, but unfortunatly i cannot. but i assure you all that the current state of deadly poison on UOSA is definatly not correct.

EDIT: just to clarify that my memory is NOT from a different era of UO, i played this character BEFORE anatomy/eval bonuses were added, and stopped playing the game all together just shortly after oil cloths were implemented (the cloths that would remove poison from your blade). So i know my memory is definatly from the correct time frame of UO that we are replicating here.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Mikel123 wrote:The very post you quote talks about 400ms pings. Lots of stuff is scary at that ping, especially with the 1-2% packet loss that comes with it.

haha, that actually made me laugh.

Good one Mikel.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Something I have noticed on this shard is that poison is not accurate.

I clearly remember one of the first times I had to deal with poison, which was while fighting a giant spider in the wilderness. I got poisoned with no way to cure, so I started running my ass off. My HP rapidly deteriorated and I figured I was going to die, so I just stood still. The moment I stood still, the poison effect was not even greater than the rate that my HP recovered.

I made a quick logical decision from this that poison did more damage while you were on the run. When I became a stronger player, I took this into account while fighting higher level monsters with DP and other players. Poison definitely did more damage while on the run. I'm relatively certain this was still in place after UO:R (at least, I kept PvPing that way - avoiding movement while poisoned as much as I could).

I know for a fact that this is not on the shard, because a few weeks ago I got poisoned by a giant spider in the wilderness. I tried the same trick (not moving) and watched as my HP approached zero. I started running toward minoc healers. It did not affect the rate my HP deteriorated.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

That is because poison had no minimum damage during this era instead of when that changed after the UOR publish went live...
UOR Publish - http://update.uo.com/design_196.html wrote:All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
What you are commenting about is a precise reflection of this game mechanic before it was changed.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kraruug, I don't have a feud with you. You're a bright guy, a good player, and the down side is I happen to think you're overzealous in your advocacy for certain things, which always coincidentally happen to favor dexers. Not an hour ago, I posted something about spellcasting which completely supports your stance on that issue. And, not to mention, my primary character over the last couple months was a dexer. So maybe drop this idea that I somehow have a feud with you. Feuding is for rappers that need to sell albums. I'd argue as vociferously as I do now if it was anyone else here making the same statements in your place.

My point with those quotes was that people's *impressions* of mechanics are actually a pretty poor source of information. Even in 2002 (and 1998), as you point out, people couldn't handle liches for pete's sake.

So if back then, they thought liches were super-tough, and now we think they're a piece of cake... wouldn't it stand to reason that it's possible that people back then could think DP was super-tough, and now we think it's a piece of cake? That's my point. We have the same liches as they did in 1999, and we think they're a lot easier to deal with today because of our better connections and we're more informed. We have the same DP as 1999, and we think it's a lot easier to deal with, because of our better connections and we're more informed.
Kraarug wrote:If you don't have anything to add just shut up instead of just trying to be cute or obtuse.
With all do respect, if you don't see the point I'm making here, we've probably found the cause for our disagreement on this issue.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Mikel123 wrote:I happen to think you're overzealous in your advocacy for certain things, which always coincidentally happen to favor dexers.
You don't say son... :shock:

I'm sure you won't be the last one to agree with this notion. :wink:

Kraarug can be a cool sampson from time to time though.

The only downside to his intellect is that he tries to rely too much on anecdotal evidence or sources that blind sides logic.
Last edited by Faust on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Faust wrote:That is because poison had no minimum damage during this era instead of when that changed after the UOR publish went live...
UOR Publish - http://update.uo.com/design_196.html wrote:All poisons will now have a minimum damage. Poison does damage based on a percentage of the target's current hit points, at low levels, poison was less effective. If the formula that determines poison damage is less than the minimum associated with the poison, then the target will take the minimum value for damage.
What you are commenting about is a precise reflection of this game mechanic before it was changed.
Is this in place on UOSA? The damage I was taking seemed consistent from full HP. I was poisoned for nearly 5 minutes.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE