Pot throwers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Pot throwers

Post by Hemperor »

Possibly the pot was thrown after the fact that you recalled, as most people here I am sure have the "last target" part set in their macro to happen at the correct time... in which case there is a bug with the pots.

Although I do remember testing with Derrick trying to throw through wall of stones and it wasn't possible.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Fwerp wrote:My point, mainly, was that on OSI, potions did not follow people through gates or follow them when they recalled. This leads me to believe that the way explosion potions follow people here is slightly cheaper than the were on OSI.
This is probably because the damage hit you as you went in the gate, and your status updated when you got to the other side. No bug there, you got hit.

cletus

Post by cletus »

Sure, razor makes it automated but realistically no way to combat that. I used Gexplodes constantly on Atlantic to varying levels of success depending on my lag as my friend had a GM alchemy character (actually somewhat rare and yes Gexplodes were expensive but who cares when you make your own?) Once I got cable I was fairly consistent with them. Also, you could "heatseek" through recall and gate. I very clearly remember doing this to a friend when we were screwing around by our house as he recalled out and died in the Hidden Valley the explosion animation did not appear on my side of the recall. Notably doing it only seems like its bugged because on OSI it was *nearly* impossible to time it like to the .1 of a second where it would work while on a dialup connection, lol. plus doing that to a running person was like winning the lottery. However, like someone said, the animations should simply be ignored. I mean hell, you can have a pot blow up in your hands and still see the animation of it flying if you are slightly too slow.

Also, on shards with variable timing it doesn't take much practice to get it right (or easily EUO scriptable and undetectable really.) Hell, I scripted a potion throwing script for hybrid that never missed either despite the variable timing. Whomever claimed to not use a macro or that macros won't hit 100% of the time, I call bs. I've never had a pot miss when there was actual line of sight with a simple razor macro as long as I didn't fuck up the targeting. Oh and with razor or euo you can Explode GE pot Ebolt Lightning Wand and combo it at nearly the same time if you want but the timing is kinda annoying.

You can also make a fairly funny pot drop macro for someone who is paralyzed that will kill them easily drop 5-6 pots with razor at their feet or behind the character where they can't really see it too well (euo is actually slower at it) and on the 2nd or third pot dropped have the macro dbl click it and as soon as the others drop the macro moves you the required steps away just in time. same thing with a bomb box chop macro.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

In regards to what hemperor said yeah its true you didnt see too much of it... But the games old and its evolving, they find some things works better than others, etc, you play a game 10+ years you know what works and what doesnt.

As for the other thing he referanced, a certain guild using them (and im just as guilty i throw pots all the time) its TG. Yes, if you;ve ever pvped with them you'd notice they seem to throw pots like a machine gujn and they nearly always hit you but that could also just be understanding the game mechanics and tweaking a perfect macro.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

Correct - Potions did not heatseak, work through gates, or chase people recalling(this should be obvious). They landed where they were targeted instantly. If the player moved through a gate or recalled it wouldn't follow because it never actually traveled through the air. It lands where you click it instantly then goes off when it goes off. It was very difficult to hit a moving target. Now, if your going to talk about how using razor effects the era accuracy of things it seems rather futile because..... well, third party programs in general weren't exactly "era accurate". I'm not even sure if they allowed uoam at that time.
Last edited by Eaglestaff on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

cletus wrote:Sure, razor makes it automated but realistically no way to combat that. I used Gexplodes constantly on Atlantic to varying levels of success depending on my lag as my friend had a GM alchemy character (actually somewhat rare and yes Gexplodes were expensive but who cares when you make your own?) Once I got cable I was fairly consistent with them. Also, you could "heatseek" through recall and gate. I very clearly remember doing this to a friend when we were screwing around by our house as he recalled out and died in the Hidden Valley the explosion animation did not appear on my side of the recall. Notably doing it only seems like its bugged because on OSI it was *nearly* impossible to time it like to the .1 of a second where it would work while on a dialup connection, lol. plus doing that to a running person was like winning the lottery. However, like someone said, the animations should simply be ignored. I mean hell, you can have a pot blow up in your hands and still see the animation of it flying if you are slightly too slow.

Also, on shards with variable timing it doesn't take much practice to get it right (or easily EUO scriptable and undetectable really.) Hell, I scripted a potion throwing script for hybrid that never missed either despite the variable timing. Whomever claimed to not use a macro or that macros won't hit 100% of the time, I call bs. I've never had a pot miss when there was actual line of sight with a simple razor macro as long as I didn't fuck up the targeting. Oh and with razor or euo you can Explode GE pot Ebolt Lightning Wand and combo it at nearly the same time if you want but the timing is kinda annoying.

You can also make a fairly funny pot drop macro for someone who is paralyzed that will kill them easily drop 5-6 pots with razor at their feet or behind the character where they can't really see it too well (euo is actually slower at it) and on the 2nd or third pot dropped have the macro dbl click it and as soon as the others drop the macro moves you the required steps away just in time. same thing with a bomb box chop macro.

hehehe yep you said it cletus, thatll learn these ahere nublets a thing or two about pottin. *said in a backwater country accent*

XaN

Post by XaN »

You know what. If I ever die to a GE spammer, I will be pissed. I won't rage quit tho, I will simply decide to stock up on GE potions myself. That way, I am prepared for the little cocksucker or any other cockpusher that decides to spam me with pots.

*that's the mindset you need when dealing with this issue*

{Do not fall into the same habit of killing everyone with GE's. Focus only on those doing it to you}

I would also like to put my two cents in, and say I do not remember any GE pvp other than... like he said, when people were hidden. For those that use it today, understand that it takes away from the whole of the T2A experience. Just because it's patch correct, doesn't make it era correct. Or right.
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

XaN wrote: That way, I am prepared for the little cocksucker or any other cockpusher
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh XaN ol' buddy.. lol
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

I've heard a few people complain in-game about pot-throwers... well, forget for the moment that people will generally complain about whatever you used to kill them and really consider the argument that it wasn't really used back in this era.

Whoever said that the game has evolved is dead-on. That's all there is to it. Back then, people were still figuring out what worked and what didn't. Now it's old news. It isn't a cheat, either. Just a legitimate tactic that some people don't happen to like. It isn't whether or not people did it that determines whether or not it's era-accurate; it's whether or not it was possible for them to have done it with the rules in place at that time.

Me, probably 50% or more of my logged time back in 1999 I was on my thief and FYI, no one had house security back then. This table wall crap that's almost universal now - never saw it before. Large and small, rich and poor, I stealthed into and robbed many houses and never even imagined what you can do with a few tables and a trash barrel. Does it suck? Yeah. Will I complain about it? Not much. :)