Pot throwers

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
whoa its shan

Pot throwers

Post by whoa its shan »

I honestly don't think that anybody (especially dexers) should be given this sort of advantage in PvP. The fact that pots follow you is relatively ridiculous in itself. I propose we change pot throwing similarly how tank mages and tamers have been changed to even out the playing field.

Jaster

Re: Pot throwers

Post by Jaster »

I remember pots being used, but they weren't really a factor in pvp until UO:R where alchemy effected potion damage. Maybe its time to do a little research on why ....

Red

Post by Red »

IMO, GE potions were a lot less common and a lot more expensive in T2A.
Alchemy costs a lot of money and GE is one of the hardest potions to make.

The only time I ever remember using or seeing someone else use exolpsion potions (not just greater) was for revealing a hidden player. Hiding skill was a lot more common back then.

Kryptonical
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kryptonical »

I was actually talking to some one about this the other day in regards to why alchemy is so damn cheap here. first it takes a buttload of money to make a gm alchy, then it takes a lot of time and energy to gather the necessary items, and what not, but then what the kegs are being sold for seems to not make much sense as far as roi goes...my carp can make 3x as much profit on sell furniture of all things then a gm alchy can make selling his kegs...and yet there are only a few dozen if that of gm alchys on this server and tons of gm carps?...just seems a bit odd

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Purple potions aren't as simple as people think. It's not like you double click it and instantly it follows your target. You need to know when to click your target to get it to blow up it takes timing. Also, should your target break LOS, that sucker is blowing up on you. Each time you use it, it also gives you a chance to flag.

There is risk with these, they take 10 ash to make + bottle (that you never get back), and you don't have a 100% chance to succeed at making them.

People use them more in field pvp now because of ping, simple as that. Back in the day I'd try and use them, but with the lag, they'd also blow up on me :lol:
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

RoadKill wrote:Purple potions aren't as simple as people think. It's not like you double click it and instantly it follows your target. You need to know when to click your target to get it to blow up it takes timing. Also, should your target break LOS, that sucker is blowing up on you. Each time you use it, it also gives you a chance to flag.

There is risk with these, they take 10 ash to make + bottle (that you never get back), and you don't have a 100% chance to succeed at making them.

People use them more in field pvp now because of ping, simple as that. Back in the day I'd try and use them, but with the lag, they'd also blow up on me :lol:
Throwing purps is no problem with a macro, it's too easy...especially throwing purps in combination with other things.

Also, there is a certain guild that manages to chain throw purps perfectly while running...

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

On this forum in general you cant simply suggest that something so major to game play be changed, unless you claim that it was not T2A accurate and then you would usually have to supply a patch note.

Explosion potions are a valid and important part of the game. I don't see any imbalance with them as all the players on the shard can use them. Explosion potions can be set with a macro obviously, But you can still run out of the LOS and that will cause them to blow up on the person.

Also what do you mean by this.
similarly how tank mages and tamers have been changed to even out the playing field.

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I didn't play T2A so I dunno how many people threw pots, I certainly heard stories of people throwing purples during era though. Its a common misconception that GE pot throwing started with the alchemy bonus. In fact a bunch of players on one of the asian shards created this pvp style quite a while before that and popularised pot throwing through a bunch of duel movies a lot of people watched. I was certainly throwing GE pots well before the alchemy bonus and well before everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

Theres nothing overpowered about ge pots as they stand, they are basically just useful for chasing people who run when their life is very low. If you need to rely primarily on running offscreen to survive you should reexamine your pvp tactics...

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

id bet my bottom dolalr peopel didnt use em so much back i nthe day was cost, peopel were runnin around with 15 of each reg, a hally, and a rune :P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Most people didn't use them because: 1) They weren't perfectly heatseaking like they are here and on other RUNUO servers, 2) They didn't have Razor to make a seamless macro for using them 3) Potion use overall was much less. Some people of course used GE's and regular Exp's, but they were most commonly used in my recollection for revealing hidden players. Also, if I recall, targeting a player with a GE was a terrible way to use the potion, because it would simply lob the pot behind them (if they were running, to the tile they were at when you clicked them). And yes, they could instantly see you were using a GE because everyone was able to see the 3 2 1 countdown.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

Fwerp wrote:Most people didn't use them because: 1) They weren't perfectly heatseaking like they are here and on other RUNUO servers, 2) They didn't have Razor to make a seamless macro for using them 3) Potion use overall was much less. Some people of course used GE's and regular Exp's, but they were most commonly used in my recollection for revealing hidden players. Also, if I recall, targeting a player with a GE was a terrible way to use the potion, because it would simply lob the pot behind them (if they were running, to the tile they were at when you clicked them). And yes, they could instantly see you were using a GE because everyone was able to see the 3 2 1 countdown.

Can you prove that it wasn't heat seeking, you know you have to throw it right before 1 to make it heat seeking otherwise it just falls to the floor.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

To argue that 'people didn't use them back then so then they are not accurate' is not a strong arguement.

As long as their contruction, cost, and mechanics are the same as '99 then they should be ok. In 10 years a lot of different player tactics and approaches have developed. Otherwise we'd only have Tank Mages at 100 100 25 and Dexxers standing toe to toe with 100 25 100.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Can you prove that it wasn't heat seeking, you know you have to throw it right before 1 to make it heat seeking otherwise it just falls to the floor.
I don't know that I can "prove it," because I suspect that it won't appear in the patch notes because the scripting for them here and on most free shards is germane to RunUO exclusively. Things like heat seeking potions that follow recalling persons and go through gates were utterly unheard of on OSI during my time playing. Yes, I realize what needs to be done to get a potion to heat seek here, I'm just convinced the whole system is based on speculation by the RunUO team that is only roughly right. Again, my recollection is that the people who were effective at using explosion potions would throw them in an anticipatory fashion, targeting tiles in what they believed would be the trajectory of their fleeing adversary. Unless a player was stationary (or relatively so), targeting their character with an explosion potion was more likely to blow up on you then them.

I fear that years of playing RunUO shard has distorted our collective memory of these mechanics =\. Maybe other vets can give their two cents.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Does the demo have exp pots? (I don't have it anymore)

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Okay, here is the deal. No potions are "Heat seeking". What happens when you use a potion is this, much like archery, the animation plays but it does not coorespond with the hit. So when you throw a potion immediately it lands on the tile of the player you targeted, but if you throw it right before it goes off, it still lands on the tile of the player you targeted. The difference is that the "throwing" is instant. The second you click where you want it to go, it is there and waiting to go off, so if you time it right, you can get it to blow up on the tile of your target plus or minus 1 tile. The animation shows "heat seeking" the same way a magic arrow will follow you across the server after the damage has already been dealt. Potions work perfectly fine here.