Taming Temp

Moderator: Support Moderators

Granvil

Taming Temp

Post by Granvil »

Just made a taming char but unsure on skills to use as i have never had a taming char before.

Mage
Meditation
Eval Int
Taming
Animal Lore
and now im stuck lol any help?

Alurek

Re: Taming Temp

Post by Alurek »

You may consider dropping eval as it really won't do you much good as a tamer, I know its a tough choice to make though. As for other skills to consider:

Wrestling- Defensive- All those pks that like to hit you with there hally/swords make it hard to get away sometimes.
Vet- Near must for a tamer, I guess you can greater heal, but definitely not efficient
Resist- it helps when taming dragons and such as well as a good defense for pks
Hiding- I know a few tamers that use hiding, this is usually a trade off with resist. Makes it easier to get off a gate/recall when the pk's don't initially see you. Also you can start bandaging then hide, and it will finish bandaging while you are hidden.

Depends how defensive/offensive you want to play. Also there are some tamer/bard hybrids, but i don't know much about those, Music/Provo for the most part subbed in for two others.

my temp:

Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Magery
Meditation
Resist
Wrestling

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I'll echo the template above. That's what I use.

You can drop Vet if you want, and just heal with magery (greater heal) but it's a lot more expensive, and you won't be able to keep up with healing your pets against something like a Balron or Ancient Wyrm.

Krats

Post by Krats »

I prefer the Tamer/Bard Template myself:

Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Magery
Musicianship
Provoke/Peace <--- Depending on play style
Resist/Hiding/Wrestling <--- Depending on play style
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Taming
Lore
Magery
Resist 90
Meditation 90
Wrestling 90
Vet 80
Evaluating Intelligence 50

A little Eval goes a long way rather then having none at all.

Sometimes a spawn will appear distracting your pets forcing you to defend yourself against other players who wait it out for such a thing to happen before intiating their attack.

You want to have some bite. Sometimes its best to cast a non aggro spell like energy field right off believe it or not if you can cut off escape or ensure yours with your pets. You dont want the aggressor to off screen if you have it in mind to teach them a lesson.

Alot of Tamers do have hiding though so they will not be targeted by their pets while they wait out a criminal murder count if it was under 5. If you want to go with hiding you can do a preemptive all kill instead of waiting for the blue to go grey.

Or you can make an enticer on the side, cast invisible gate the bard in and entice your pets back out of the gate before alts come flying back in for revenge. Then you'd recall to a different location until the red wears off.

A good tamer companion alongside a healer template would be

Hide
Stealth
Music
Entice
Herding
Magery
Tracking

You can herd in stealth mode...luring dragons or other tameables to areas where its safer to tame. Tracking so you can find them, or keep a surveillance on your area for Player activity. Entice to get your pets out quickly especially if you want to keep the pets after you tame them and take them to a safe haven while you stay in your spot for more.

Although if you want to drop entice and music for detect hidden and resist/meditation/or wrestling you can herd a bunch of grey tameable aggressives to a place where a hidden character that you tracked down is and reveal them or an area where someone is spending a considerable amount of time hunting is for a laugh.

You can play around with it as much as you like but a stealth herder is a must have for a tamer, what other skills you choose is up to you. Other good choices would be..healing with anatomy to heal you as you tame. Provocation so your tames and the wilds can set the same target if a PK comes in. Whatever just use your imagination.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

^Edit
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Granvil

Post by Granvil »

wow thank you all for the reply's and help think ive got a better idea now

Thank you :mrgreen:

Interesting thought tho what about parry instead of wrestling?
And what stats should i have as a tamer?

(sorry about all this totally new to taming)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Taming
Lore
meditation
magery
Resist
Wrestling
Parry ?

For a strictly PVM character that might not be too bad. You could take a few hits to get a few commands out if confronted and ta-da. Tell Me how that works out...that might really be an excellent idea. I wonder if we could fiddle with it to give you vet or eval too? That's where you can take it or leave it from there.

I kind of tweaked what you proposed at first...but you had a thought about utilizing parry and I thought this would be the best way. It may just work though.

If you rely alot on casting magery, since you will being it's your primary healing technique outside of potions, don't ditch wrestling.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Parry at GM will allow you to parry 50% of hits. It will reduce the damage on parried hits by an amount related to the shield AR.

Wrestling at GM will allow you to dodge 50% of hits completely!

Do not remove remove wrestling for parry!

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

Krats wrote:I prefer the Tamer/Bard Template myself:

Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Magery
Musicianship
Provoke/Peace <--- Depending on play style
Resist/Hiding/Wrestling <--- Depending on play style
I played this template last year, when spawns were harder. Of course, I had meditation, because otherwise your magery is ridiculously reduced in usability. Since I came back, however, I found this template ill suited to the shard--spawns are too easy now to need it. So I converted:
My template:
Taming
Lore
Mage
Med
Eval < Used to be Vet.
Wrestle < Used to be Music.
Resist < Used to be Provocation.

I am extremely happy with this choice. This is why I think Eval is better than Vet: the fact of the matter is, the hardest enemies you will fight in the dungeons will be players. If those players have time to significantly damage your dragons, you're probably screwed anyway. Not once can I think of a fight which I *won* by vetting (or Ghealing) my pets. Against mobs, careful attention to where you hunt and how you engage can make it so you have to heal only a few times per mob killed. Compared to the money you're making as a tamer, the cost of these heals is a mere pittance.

By contrast, Eval allows one to more successfully deliver that killing blow after you've deliver 2 firebreaths and maybe some melee damage to your opponents. Far more valuable than vet imho.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Of course if you wanted to train your beasts before going out, vet would be good to have.

Lothain

Post by Lothain »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Of course if you wanted to train your beasts before going out, vet would be good to have.
What?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Dragons, all pets really, learn skills like other characters.

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10415
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9802
there are several posts on this.

If you build a strong tamer template you might as well train up your dragons when you aren't playing him directly, having him ready on the side.

Bandages aren't hard to come by and it saves you from stabling your pets for a bit and are easy access when you decide to pull your tamer out.

When you first tame your pets their skills drop tremendously after being "domesticated". You can raise their skills even beyond what they were when they were wild however.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Have eval if your gonna try and pvp with dragons, vet if your gonna pvm.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Forsaken

Post by Forsaken »

Kabal wrote:Have eval if your gonna try and pvp with dragons, vet if your gonna pvm.

I've been contemplating how I want to do my tamer template. I didn't like the one version of a stretched template with skills such as; 80, 90, and 50 Eval. . .

I most definitely want to keep: 100 Mage, 100 Eval, 100 Med, 100 Resist, 100 Lore, 100 Tame.

My thought process on this is, I want Vet, so I can do some good PvM farming, although my Provo Mage does just fine. I figure I'll have at least 2 pets, even if I had only one out, THEY would be my Wrestling.

By keeping your Dragon(s) and/WW(s) by your side when you're attacked by players, that should give you a lot of chances to get spells off, whether it be to recall/gate, heal, or go offensive.

Could I get some opinions on that, from anyone that has run this template w/out Wrestling, so they could fit Vet? I figure a dexxer will have to back off a little, so they're not being eaten away by melee, let alone the spells they're casting. (Which gives the tamer time to cast essentially)

Sorry for the long rant. :(