Is the trophy system broke?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Do we need a reworked trophy system.

Yes, the system needs to be reworked.
76%
No, the system is fine as it stands.
24%

Total votes: 29

Stranger

Is the trophy system broke?

Post by Stranger »

The trophy system is one of the greatest things about the shard. Custom items not attainable in game gives veteran players something fresh and new to strive for when the normal content starts to get a little monotonous. However, since i've started on this shard the trophy system has gotten progressivly worse. There are several items on the list which either are not even remotly worth having, or are way overpriced due to inflation, or, have been obtained via other methods I.E. holliday rewards, thus devaluing them. First, trophys were made much harder to get, yet the price for everything remained the same. Which unbalances it. Then the price of trophies skyrocketed from 4-7k per to 14-16k per,that double the cost per trophy, yet, the trophy points required per reward item remain the same. The flashy awesome colors were taken away from the hue list (Which I agree with) which makes the hued items you get even more bland, yet they cost a LOT more. A blessed hued mask will now run you in the area of 5.6 million as opposed to the 2.4 million they used to cost. Then the unique item rewards were raised to 500 trophy points, thats 8,000,000! Now I know these are susposed to be very hard to get, but theres not many people on this shard who have that kind of cheddar, and those who do I doubt would come up off it for one item.

In short, the trophy system which used to be one of the greatest things about this shard, has gone south. I propose a completly reworked trophy system that is more economically synched with the current market value of trophies, and boasts some fresh rewards that will actually attract peoples attention rather then just take up space on the rewards list. As is my style I will attach a poll to this thread to more accuratly gauge the opinion of the public on this issue. I understand the staff are already over worked here, but if they could find a little time for this project it would in my opinion, greatly enhance the shard. Please feel free to comment and perhaps even add suggestions for future rewards/prices in this thread.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Is the trophy system broke?

Post by Mikel123 »

Stranger wrote:The trophy system... gives veteran players something fresh and new to strive for
Stranger wrote:trophys were made much harder to get
So, they should give you something to work for, but only if you don't have to work too hard?

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Mikel123 wrote:
Stranger wrote:The trophy system... gives veteran players something fresh and new to strive for
Stranger wrote:trophys were made much harder to get
So, they should give you something to work for, but only if you don't have to work too hard?

Please limit the feedback in this post to constructive ideals and opinions, rather then mud slinging. I enjoy farming gold, but I wouldnt enjoy it if dragons dropped 3 gold per. This is not a valid retort only an attempt at stirring the pot.

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

stated my opinion already in this thread: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14313

to sum it up: the event & trophy-turn in system as it is implemented now NEA and biased towards a certain play style.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Please start this thread with a constructive idea then.

All you've done is complain about how bad the rewards are and how hard they are to get.

Look... if everyone thinks the rewards stink, then trophy points WOULD be selling for 4k each (or maybe they wouldn't sell at all), because people wouldn't want them that much. But the fact is, people want them and are willing to pay 15k or whatever.

So the bottom line is, people want them more than you and are willing to pay more than you - and thus work harder than you - for them. The problem is not how hard they are to earn, or how weak the rewards are... enough people seem satisfied with the system to pay much more than you're willing to pay. The problem is you don't want to work as hard as they do. I'm not being a jerk; it's a fact. I don't want to work as hard as they do for trophies either... I wouldn't buy them at 14k or even 4k. It doesn't indicate there's something wrong with the system; it just indicates our individual preferences and plain old basic economics.
Last edited by Mikel123 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

LifeForce wrote:stated my opinion already in this thread: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14313

to sum it up: the event & trophy-turn in system as it is implemented now NEA and biased towards a certain play style.

I have to disagree here. Without events and the trophy systems we would lose a lot of players simply because of how bored they would get. You can only kill so many liches before you want somthing fresh. Hense, why the real Ultima Online had to create expansions. We dont have that here, and we all love our t2a era, but its nice to have somthing to break up the monotomy. Working toward trophy rewards offers us that incentive to keep playing.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Stranger wrote:The trophy system is one of the greatest things about the shard.
Your first sentence makes me sad. This and the events themselves are so far from anything that happened during the era.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Silverfoot wrote:
Your first sentence makes me sad. This and the events themselves are so far from anything that happened during the era.
Thats not true there were events and quests, not like the ones on this shard but they did exist.

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

I voted no.

I think things like masks and clothing bless deeds should be very hard to get. Maybe the trophy system could use small changes here and there but nothing major.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Stranger wrote:
Silverfoot wrote:
Thats not true there were events and quests, not like the ones on this shard but they did exist.
There was no trophy system. There were no automated quests. There were no GM run pvp/ctf tournaments. If players wanted a pvp tournament, they put one together themselves. That's what I'm saying is inaccurate.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I remember one server wide 2v2 pvp event in which a blessed white sword was given out. However, it may have been a little past t2a, im not sure.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Stuck wrote:I voted no.

I think things like masks and clothing bless deeds should be very hard to get. Maybe the trophy system could use small changes here and there but nothing major.

I agree to an extent here. The items should be hard to get, but I think we may at least need some new items to go after. Right now as it stands theres a lot of space filler there and only a few items event remotly close to being worth the cost. Thats more of what my complaint is. I completly agree with the blessed masks and stuff being hard. But the cost of the trophies now removes several other items way out of the realm of being practical.

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

Stranger wrote:
LifeForce wrote:stated my opinion already in this thread: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14313

I have to disagree here. Without events and the trophy systems we would lose a lot of players simply because of how bored they would get. You can only kill so many liches before you want somthing fresh. Hense, why the real Ultima Online had to create expansions. We dont have that here, and we all love our t2a era, but its nice to have somthing to break up the monotomy. Working toward trophy rewards offers us that incentive to keep playing.
i agree with your arguments. let's put more things in that are fun, favor certain play styles and are (arguable) not era accurate.
Stranger wrote:I remember one server wide 2v2 pvp event in which a blessed white sword was given out. However, it may have been a little past t2a, im not sure.
if so, let the exception become the norm.

i recapped my position in the other thread and this will be my last post here, too.

peace.

Bong Hit

Post by Bong Hit »

Now I know noone gives a .... what i say but i voted no and heres a short answer why.
Im more than agreeable with the prices of trophies and how many it takes to get most items.
Now does that mean i disagree with the fact that a black dye tub is in no way worth 150 points (last time i checked) yes and no.
We cannot expect our staff to over haul the system every time someone hoards a item and it becomes rare or sought after or the market becomes flooded. Thats unfair and moronic over time things always balance out. is it balanced at this very moment for all the items probably not..... The reasons are stated above why actions should not be taken to fix/tweak/balance them period :wink:

nightmare

Post by nightmare »

I voted yes but more so for the lower end items and I say this for 2 reasons. 1 is that the points it cost for them compared to their value is way off from the point cost of the higher end rewards to their value. 2 if they implament something more worth the points that are paid I think more people would hold on to their tropheis to get these lower items for themselfs wrather than sell their trophies off.