Disconnections from outdated client.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Lord Cavewight of GL

Disconnections from outdated client.

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

I have noticed when your not patched to the right point you get disconnected after a period of time.

I just ran into a new player who just found secondage and he complained about this issue.

It got me thinking, this small issue might be driving away ALOT of potential players and I was wondering if something could be done to prevent this? Sadly people are lazy and not everyone will stick around to figure out why they are being disconnected.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Disconnections from outdated client.

Post by nightshark »

I think this is an issue with all RunUO shards, the same thing happened to me on Divinity or some other shard I was playing years ago. I thought it was some serious issue with my connection, but I did take the time out to visit the forum and find out wtf was going on.

Maybe have it as a login message or something... "You must be patched to client 5.xx or you will be disconnected". Especially on new accounts!
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I don't know what the version threshold is but if you log in here with anything under 5.0 i believe it is you get a message saying you need at least version 5 and will be disconnected in 20 seconds or something like that. theres nothing to be confused about there.

esteban

Post by esteban »

It seems like a well-known speedhack for UO was supported only up till client 4.x

Perhaps the shard admins know of this, and decided to curb cheaters by forcing a client version that is incompatible with it?

If so, I'd say good call.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Perhaps the shard admins know of this, and decided to curb cheaters by forcing a client version that is incompatible with it?
It's actually a technical issue related with RunUO. RunUO, just like Razor, does not work with clients prior to 4.x. I forget the exact version number. A year ago, 4.x clients were allowed here, back then there was a poll about the subject : http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 08&start=0
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We restrict the client version to 5.x +, however this isn't a hard kick, only a suggestion until the account reaches a significant amount of playtime. There are a lot of warnings prior to reaching this threshold.

Clients prior to 4.x are simply not supported at this time for technical reasons due to changes to packet protocols, encryption schemes, etc.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."