Welcome house for newcomers

Topics related to Second Age
Imp

Welcome house for newcomers

Post by Imp »

I just started playing on this shard last week, and so far i like it!

To help people start with their first characters, i placed a small house in Moonglow, few steps away from guardzone, near cotton fields.
Loom, spinning wheel, training dummy and dyeing tube to your services (thanks to Coffee for donating furniture :)
Some common newbie junk in non-secure chest inside, feel free to take (or put unwanted things) if you need it.
Vendor will be set up soon, to sell cheap but needful things (give me a clue, which ones).

A couple of recall runes will take you to Britain and Vesper Mini-Mall.
A book with few hints locked on the floor.

Enjoy!

How to get there: come to Moonglow and use the "leftmost" (most southern) teleporter in city square near bank.
Take few steps to southeast from destination teleporter - it is "The house of Hi".
Both NPC houses to west and east are in guardzones.

Mr.T

Re: Welcome house for newcomers

Post by Mr.T »

Good idea to do something like this.

Imp

Post by Imp »

Today house hit 100 visits. I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Added extra "common" chest, so you can sort newbie junk by "arms" and "tradeskills".

Working on vendor, yet only few silver weapons and scrolls.
Plan to turn it to a kind of flea market, where you can find almost everything, at a great discount.

If you happen to catch me at home (Hi) - you can get some service,
like arms lore, item id, scribing scrolls up to circle 6, poisoning weapons with greater poison,
and a free exceptional bow - whatever a newbie crafter alt can do for you.

I saw some newbies do not know how to process cotton/wool - you need to use it on spinning wheel and use thread/balls on loom.
As for me, every time i log on and check cotton fields to left and right i end up with 400-750 bandages
without using any skills in less than 2 minutes.

Imp

Post by Imp »

So, house hit 500 visits. I hope its for good.

Infrastructure now includes forge and anvil (mostly for repairs, since no mining on Verity Isle).
Newbie treasures sorted in 3 crates - combat, training and craft ones.

Old retired pirate Cho the Vendor sells runebooks, recalls/marks/gates and essential scrolls from cirlces 4-6 and 7-8, as well as assortment of exceptional weapons. He may even lend you his old boat, though only in exchange for 10k bank check (Hi will give you check back when you return it).

There is a City Banks runebook locked on doorsteps, usually charged by me or other charity visitors, so in need you can travel even without magery and supplies.

Please, do not go afk hidden in house or nearby. When in trouble, run few steps to Moonglow teleporter.
Yesterday town guards deserted the house to east, but still guarding second cotton field to north.

XaN

Post by XaN »

Sorry.. :D
Last edited by XaN on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!

Imp

Post by Imp »

2 XaN - why hijacking this thread? Please, create your own in suggestions.

House hit 700 visits. I see more people, some never player UO before, coming to stop and see.
Was able to chat with some of them, give a boat ride off Verity shore, etc.

But there were some misunderstanding and misbehavior as well.
To get it right, there are things, that will get you banned from house:

1) Attacking or stealing from visitors inside house or near stairs. Thieves will be banned "just in case" if i find them hiding inside.
2) Making pointless mess with welfare crates, or lockpicking my locked chests inside house.
3) Revealing and snooping Hi when she is macroing afk.
4) Trying to chop Hi or harm in any other way. Last thing will likely get you PKed, as well.

Bans later can be lifted on individual basis.

Lunyyft

Post by Lunyyft »

I put a few trapped boxes in the house for any new person who needs them!
---------------------------------------------
Griefing players since 97
KwS 4 life!
http://luny.xf-s.com/
---------------------------------------------

Imp

Post by Imp »

Cmon, get yourself a few counts off newbs without loot =)
Some jerks keep cleaning dry wellfare crates, maybe feeling like uber house looters.
Thats not worth it, I fill them from what i usually find on floor =)

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

Imp wrote:Cmon, get yourself a few counts off newbs without loot =)
Some jerks keep cleaning dry wellfare crates, maybe feeling like uber house looters.
Up until recently most of the people I have encountered have been very nice and welcoming. 2 days ago I was playing with this new player (he was 1 day old) and I encountered my first wussy jerk off players. I remember very well where their house is at and their guild name and I will be sure to give them hell in the name of that new player once I have my character better developed.
Tanque / Chinchilla (crafter) / St Drahcir - (ingame characters)

Malcoda

Post by Malcoda »

StDrahcir wrote:
Imp wrote:Cmon, get yourself a few counts off newbs without loot =)
Up until recently most of the people I have encountered have been very nice and welcoming. 2 days ago I was playing with this new player (he was 1 day old) and I encountered my first wussy jerk off players. I remember very well where their house is at and their guild name and I will be sure to give them hell in the name of that new player once I have my character better developed.

Holy Crap......That was me...i am in trouble now....
"For the providence that gave them the fifth pit to govern as the ministers of its will, takes from their souls the power of leaving it"

Grubb

Post by Grubb »

Hello Imp,
Being a new player to the shard I have to give you props for trying to be a good community contributor. unlike many of the grief makers.

Anyways.. I am working on getting fishing and magery up for SOS hunting. By that time if your house is still open I will gladly contribute.

nick

Post by nick »

the newbie house helped me abit thanks

Ionatan McHile

Post by Ionatan McHile »

The house of Hi supplied me with mark and recall scrolls for a long time while i needed them

well done to the creator, i think its Lo?, we need more ppl like u on this shard!

Lo, if u want to start any other projects to help newcomers, let me know, im not new anymore, and can help a bit!
Ionatan/Seonac
Archimedes/Hippocrates/Herotodus
Aarany Wordsmith
The Fire King
FU Forces Unknown
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est

weedsmoke
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by weedsmoke »

The newbie house helps people get murder counts. All PKs set runes to Newbie house.

Imp

Post by Imp »

House visits went over 1000, and maybe already hit 1100.

Its rather pointless to get counts off newbies, since they carry no loot. It is very close to implicit guardzones, so shit may happen to noob PK as well =)

If you want counts - get them off perma-noobs, who go out for gold to Brit Graveyard (meaning, they actually need gold, and not just want to be raped).

The sad part is that I got less and less time to do things here, so I am looking for someone to take over it.
Here are some clues, of what should be done:

(1) Keep stocked welfare crates with some simple weapons, items needed in training (like mage's hat), and tools.
(2) Talk to new people and show them ways to train and initial survival. Keep wheel and loom in house.
(3) Sell most used 4-5-6 circle scrolls separately (I know, its a pain to stock and maintain supply), stock recalls, marks, gate and flamestrike scrolls.
(4) Sell cheap simple exceptional weapons (katanas, krysses, war hammers, bows).
(5) Have runebooks to cities and other vendors, sometimes charge them, when you have spare recalls.

The idea behind this project was to show people some ropes, without spoiling them with handouts. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish... =)

And actually, in line with Siege Perilous tradition, newbies begged to hand them full spellbooks, gold, boats, reags were usually simply told to gtfo. Those who had some interest in playing and progressing themselves, got my time and help.

I hope some more active and skilled player (or even small guild) will have interest to continue this project. PM me, and maybe I will pass the house to you with all thats inside.