Deadly Poison?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
monaxe

Deadly Poison?

Post by monaxe »

was deadly poison during t2a really as crappy as it currently is?
anyone remeber something about poisoning or got some information to show that it actually knocked people socks off?

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Re: Deadly Poison?

Post by son »

DP was a beast but faust thinks store bought cures worked 99% of the time on it.

Also 99% of the time store bought cured silver seprs too lololo.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Grom

Post by Grom »

I'm no expert on the era, but when I started (UO:R) they were amazing, similar to being poisoned by a poison elemental, maybe this changed after the T2A era though. If it didn't change drastically though, if it's worth anything, back when I played I would hang around shame most of the time with a DP Kryss (since you couldn't poison 2 handers in UO:R) and pvp there, and it was MUCH more effective/powerful then. It almost feels like DP is actually a poison level lower than what it should be on this server (if drastic changes to damage weren't done during UO:R).

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

son wrote:DP was a beast but faust thinks store bought cures worked 99% of the time on it.

Also 99% of the time store bought cured silver seprs too lololo.
quiet noob. dont speak until your mommy says its ok

UOR Publish - April 28th 2000 wrote:Cure Potions
Cure potions will now cure poison based on the relative strength of the cure potion and the poison afflicting the character. A lesser cure will have virtually no chance of curing a deadly poisoned character, while a greater cure will cure greater poison much more often than not. All other cure and poison levels will scale accordingly.

heres a lot of disappointment talk on changes to poison
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9282

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

DP was way way better in the day. Probably shouldn't be too hard to find some hard evidence. I rememeber it was devastating to hp and stamina. They made DP awesome the same time they made buff potions usefull. They also made the kryss faster than the katana I believe in the same patch or not long after and I think some other adjustments to weapons in an effort to throw dexers a bone. The new poison, dex, and str potions coupled with the improved Kryss speed brout some warriors out of the woodwork. Anyone remember the "Ho Box" when they would stamina trap u in and beat you down? =) I think it was around the same time meditation and eval/anatomy went in. I remember also at that time one of the smaller knives I think the skinning knife was even faster than both the kryss and the dagger, It was the fastest weapon. I remember you could could pwn a mage with a dp'd skinning knife it was so fast they could just barely mini-heal.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Eaglestaff wrote:DP was way way better in the day. Probably shouldn't be too hard to find some hard evidence. I rememeber it was devastating to hp and stamina. They made DP awesome the same time they made buff potions usefull. They also made the kryss faster than the katana I believe in the same patch or not long after and I think some other adjustments to weapons in an effort to throw dexers a bone. The new poison, dex, and str potions coupled with the improved Kryss speed brout some warriors out of the woodwork. Anyone remember the "Ho Box" when they would stamina trap u in and beat you down? =) I think it was around the same time meditation and eval/anatomy went in. I remember also at that time one of the smaller knives I think the skinning knife was even faster than both the kryss and the dagger, It was the fastest weapon. I remember you could could pwn a mage with a dp'd skinning knife it was so fast they could just barely mini-heal.
I recall training with skinning knives, I also recall PE's handing it to me.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I'm pretty sure you could mini-heal through anything, since spell circle 1 spells can never be disrupted, even if you're hit during casting.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=1998_Patch_Notes

4/13/98

There are now five levels of poison. The difference between them is the rate at which your health goes down. These levels of poison will have different levels of difficulty when you try to cure them. You will be able to make differing levels of poison with alchemy.
I didn't find anything in the '98 or '99 patch notes that changed the behavior of deadly poison.

There was a healthy market for greater cures.

We all didn't have apprentice alchemists to make our fighting characters lesser cures, did we?

Faust

Post by Faust »

That patch is well before the last compilation of the demo and the only patch that effects curing poison until the UOR era. We are using the same formulas that were stripped from the original OSI code here. Cure potions did scale during this time but very horribly until the UOR patch that Dagon posted was published.

This is a well known fact now that has been hashed out time after time here.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Right, there is some benefit to higher level cures on this shard, but it's not as big as you'd think.

Also, there's a pretty good market for Greater Cures on this shard too, for the same reason that people GM their weapon skills instead of getting them to 95.0 and saying, "close enough". May as well have the best chance of it working.

I remember DP and L5 being pretty badass, but again... slow ping, packet loss, no horse, and lack of UO Assist (for me at least) will do that to you. By the time I moved my mouse to the orange potion in my pack (if I even had one), that gave a poison elemental or a silver serpent more than enough time to catch up to me and smack me again, doing physical damage and possibly repoisoning me. Heck, for a silver serpent, it could probably get a couple smacks in.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Faust wrote:That patch is well before the last compilation of the demo and the only patch that effects curing poison until the UOR era. We are using the same formulas that were stripped from the original OSI code here. Cure potions did scale during this time but very horribly until the UOR patch that Dagon posted was published.

I was responding to the post about "UOR Publish - April 28th 2000", which implied that lesser cures were effective against deadly. They weren't.

No one in their right mind carried lesser cures around if they thought they were coming up against deadly poison.

RainbowBeard

Post by RainbowBeard »

Cure potions work just the way I remember them from OSI. Rolling around with a bag of store bought orange potions because you could just spam the drink cure key until you weren't poisoned.

DP is fine here. The only differences come from playstyle. 99.9% of people weren't running third party macros with sub 100ms pings. Even then though, the people you would rock with DP were people without potions. Mages trying to An Nox would shortly be donating all their possessions to you. Anyone with a decent macro wasn't going to eat it just because you had a bag of poisoned krysses.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

RainbowBeard wrote:Cure potions work just the way I remember them from OSI. Rolling around with a bag of store bought orange potions because you could just spam the drink cure key until you weren't poisoned.

DP is fine here. The only differences come from playstyle. 99.9% of people weren't running third party macros with sub 100ms pings. Even then though, the people you would rock with DP were people without potions. Mages trying to An Nox would shortly be donating all their possessions to you. Anyone with a decent macro wasn't going to eat it just because you had a bag of poisoned krysses.
I don't know if it's fine here, because I haven't tested it

Regular cures could fail against deadly and 5th level poison. I think lesser cures could even fail against greater poison. But gcures would cure deadly, whereas mages could fail trying to cure deadly with a cure spell. That made gcures for mages also effective, and of course if they were fighting against 5th level poison from monsters, they'd better have them.

The reason it was important to carry gcures around is because they'd succeed against deadly if your char was low on hit points when deadly poisoned. Failing to cure drinking a store bought pot at that point was pretty much suicidal.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Joueur Moyen wrote:
Faust wrote:That patch is well before the last compilation of the demo and the only patch that effects curing poison until the UOR era. We are using the same formulas that were stripped from the original OSI code here. Cure potions did scale during this time but very horribly until the UOR patch that Dagon posted was published.

No one in their right mind carried lesser cures around if they thought they were coming up against deadly poison.
I know exactly what you were responding to in your post. Again, the patch you listed predated the OSI code replica that we currently have right now. That patch is the ONLY patch that has anything related to curing poison besides the UOR publish that is out of era. When you have the exact code and formulas that are dated AFTER that patch that correlate with the UOR publish notes it's obvious that what we have is most certainly right. Unless you have some additional information outside of your memory recollection it isn't going to amount to much for an argument.

Joueur Moyen wrote:I was responding to the post about "UOR Publish - April 28th 2000", which implied that lesser cures were effective against deadly. They weren't.
Yes, they were and the evidence to back this up is beyond substantial.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:
Joueur Moyen wrote:I was responding to the post about "UOR Publish - April 28th 2000", which implied that lesser cures were effective against deadly. They weren't.
Yes, they were and the evidence to back this up is beyond substantial.
Effecive can be a subjective term. I would not feel that lesser cures were effective "enough" to rely on. And certainly not against Lethal.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."