Era Accuracy on house placing.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Era Accuracy on house placing.

Post by Kelektra »

Okay so i have no problems at all placing houses but i have noticed that it is definately not Era accurate.

I am sure we all remember the days of having houses that had basements. I know this wasnt changed for a very long time. Not even sure they ever fixed it. I remember placing houses in Malas using the same placement rules.

Just a comment really, not complaining, not asking it to be era accurate.
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

Corbin

Re: Era Accuracy on house placing.

Post by Corbin »

Housing basements? Not in T2A.

Malas housing placement also does not apply. By that time, they had a house placement tool and they had completely revamped the way houses are placed. Hell, I remember having to lay down layers of cloth to place houses, but I believe that was because of graphical issues and bugs which were later fixed.

Never had a house with a plant in the center? :P
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

used to be able to place houses all sorts of "off-limits" places like across paths. not sure when that was fixed tho.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

The basement houses DID last past the t2a era up into UOR but nearing UOR they had fixed it so you couldn't place .

The improperly placed housing was grandfathered but if you found a way to do it again it would go condemned.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

Im not completely sure what you mean Basement. I had a house you could walk under but dont remember all the details. Have any screenshots?
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

wasn't there also a z-level trick that house looters could exploit to get your stuff if you had a "basement" house?
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

fooka03 wrote:wasn't there also a z-level trick that house looters could exploit to get your stuff if you had a "basement" house?
That was the same exploit we used to get into towers just by being under the wing....we pked house hiders on siege that way.

The basement is a hole under the house that people could just walk under your house.....i guess if you found a way to walk up into the floor you could get in there.

We all just marked under our houses for fun/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Houses placed on non-level terrain could be teleported under. It just took some tricky teleporting to get inside.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

GuardianKnight wrote:The basement houses DID last past the t2a era up into UOR but nearing UOR they had fixed it so you couldn't place .
I'm certain they fixed that before T2A, but there were... uhm... ways around the fix...
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Karik Verlee wrote:Im not completely sure what you mean Basement. I had a house you could walk under but dont remember all the details. Have any screenshots?
I placed many many houses using z axis tricks in era (mid-late 1999), some of them you could only get into via one spot walking horizontally onto the steps.

It was always said that they would be deleted, but they never were to my knowledge, even when the sign said "this house is improperly placed". Ocllo was full of houses placed like this.

It's been the intention to emulate some of these bugs, it's just something we haven't gotten to.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

Derrick wrote:
Karik Verlee wrote:Im not completely sure what you mean Basement. I had a house you could walk under but dont remember all the details. Have any screenshots?
I placed many many houses using z axis tricks in era (mid-late 1999), some of them you could only get into via one spot walking horizontally onto the steps.

It was always said that they would be deleted, but they never were to my knowledge, even when the sign said "this house is improperly placed". Ocllo was full of houses placed like this.

It's been the intention to emulate some of these bugs, it's just something we haven't gotten to.
I think for now its still okay but if the shard gets more popular (and we all hope that happens) then eventually we will run out of housing spots using the current system. At that time then i think you might need to look into the possibilty of switching so you are able to place using the steps at the high point rule. That would open alot of spots up for newer players to have housing.
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Kelektra wrote:I think for now its still okay but if the shard gets more popular (and we all hope that happens) then eventually we will run out of housing spots using the current system. At that time then i think you might need to look into the possibilty of switching so you are able to place using the steps at the high point rule. That would open alot of spots up for newer players to have housing.
Interesting point Kelektra - but the house placement bugs were pretty well fixed by the cut off date of the shard.

Also, house price inflation is era accurate - this was solely due to house space being eaten up to the point that small houses in the middle of nowhere were selling for 250k each (on Pacific, anyway).

Regards,

a dog.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

House price inflation is definately era-accurate, though in a different fashion than we have here. People did not just hold on to houses to re-sell for 10/20k profit lol. I don't horde housing myself, and I rather dislike it when other people do because it does effect the server as a whole, but it is era-accurate to be able to horde a house on every character.

I think we all need to push for the "co-owners cannot own other houses" patch. That would cut down on the amount of houses people hang on to just "because they can". We have a good cushy thing going on here with all of our characters co-owned to all of our houses. It shouldn't be that way.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

You make a good point Matron-

If the housing system is something of a hybrid then perhaps we should consider implementing some of the former systems (for instance the old style where if Character 1 owns House A then they are not an automatic friend/co-owner of Character 2's House B - in fact, they are not a friend of the house at all unless they relinquish House A).

This would act as a disincentive for people creating the problems you are talking about, and would actually take a step towards housing era accuracy as opposed to allowing an entirely inaccurate system to continue operating.

Clearly this has been discussed in other threads, and of course I do not want to be repeating anything anywhere because that would be an injustice on potential readers eyes.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

MatronDeWinter wrote:House price inflation is definately era-accurate, though in a different fashion than we have here. People did not just hold on to houses to re-sell for 10/20k profit lol. I don't horde housing myself, and I rather dislike it when other people do because it does effect the server as a whole, but it is era-accurate to be able to horde a house on every character.
No, they horded houses to sell for 100/200k+ profit.
MatronDeWinter wrote:I think we all need to push for the "co-owners cannot own other houses" patch. That would cut down on the amount of houses people hang on to just "because they can". We have a good cushy thing going on here with all of our characters co-owned to all of our houses. It shouldn't be that way.
Either make Coowners accurate (strongboxes, ownership rules, etc.) or get rid of them entirely (which frankly sucks, but what the hell). Theres no point messing with it at this point unless its going to be made completely accurate.